Abdominal pain is a feeling of discomfort along with pain in the part of the body between lower chest and pelvis. The abdominal cavity consist various structures like stomach, liver, gall bladder, small intestine, large intestine, pancreas, kidney, cecum, appendix, ureter, spleen and also possesses abdominal muscles. The whole abdomen is divided in to 9 regions which are, right hypochondrium, epigastrium, left hypochondrium, right lumber, umbilical, left lumber, right iliac, hypogastrium and left iliac. A person can feel pain in any of these regions.
Causes of abdominal pain
- Peptic ulcer – Mucosal ulceration near the acid bearing regions of the gastrointestinal tract, pain characteristically sharply circumscribed to an area about 1 inch in diameter between xephoid and umbilicus.
- Cholecystitis – Attacks of epigastric pain with tenderness over gall bladder.
- Carcinoma of pancreas – mid gastric pain, steady and dull or paroxysmal colicky pain
- Carcinoma stomach – Daily discomfort along with pain in the abdomen
- Acute appendicitis – Severe colicky pain initially felt in umbilical region and after few hours the pain localizes to the right iliac fossa.
- Acute pancreatitis – Severe backache and tenderness in the epigastrium
- Irritable bowel syndrome – Post prandial type of pain which is related to meal
- Hiatus hernia – Causes epigastric pain.
- Abdominal angina – Due to chronic intestinal ischemia in which there is post prandial pain usually cramping and radiates to the back.
- Carcinoma colon – Pain in the right side below the level of umbilicus
- Bilateral salping – Oophoritis – pain in both side of lower abdomen
- Torsion of the ovarian cyst – Produces very severe abdominal pain.
- Other causes – Include gastroenteritis, meckel’s diverticulitis, intestinal obstruction, ulcerative colitis, porphyria, pneumonia, indigestion, ruptured spleen, ectopic pregnancy, hepatitis, endometriosis, gastritis etc.
- Blood test – Complete blood count, pregnancy test, blood culture
- X ray abdomen – To diagnose renal stone, intestinal obstruction etc
- Abdominal CT scan – To evaluate internal organs and tissues, useful to detect tumor infections, renal stones, appendicitis.
- Abdominal MRI – To diagnose abnormal growth tumors
- Abdominal ultrasound – To assess the structures with in the abdomen, used to evaluate gall bladder stone, renal stone, ectopic pregnancy etc.
Treatment of Abdominal Pain
Homeopathic treatment of abdominal pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for abdominal pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some useful medicines are given below for the treatment of abdominal pain:
- Nux vom – One of the best remedy for abdominal pain especially due to indigestion
- Colocynthis – Abdominal pain which is better by bending double or by hard pressure.
- Pulsatilla – Abdominal pain which is caused after taking rich food, pastry
- Natrum carb – Abdominal pain which is relieved by eating
- Cuprum met. – Violent spasms which is aggravated by cold drinks.
- Croton tig – gripping pain in abdomen which is associated with profuse watery diarrhea
- Chamomilla – Spasmodic abdominal pain especially after anger
- Dioscorea – Pain in umbilical region which is better by bending backward
- Belladonna – abdominal pain due to intestinal obstruction
- Mag phos – violent, spasmodic pain which is better by hot application..
- China off – Epigastric pain associated with distension and fullness specially after eating
- Lycopodium – abdominal pain after eating which is worse between 4 – 8 P.M.
Allopathic treatment of abdominal pain – treatment is depending upon cause or medical condition; surgery can also be done in few surgical diseases.
Other alternative treatment of abdominal pain – include naturopathy, Ayurveda, Vitamin B3, VitaminB5, meditation etc.