Pain and discomfort in the heel which can caused due to various medical conditions and commonly due to injury to the heel.
Causes of heel pain
- Planter fascitis – that is inflammation of the bottom aspect of foot which is characterized by localized pain with tenderness often aggravated in the morning.
- Nerve compression – it can cause due to any pressure effect, trauma or injury.
- Insufficient blood supply – lack of blood supply to heel causes pain which is often associated with paleness of affected area.
- Trauma or injury – to the heel can cause mild to severe heel pain.
- Costochondritis – that is inflammation of the bone and its articular cartilage causes severe heel pain.
- Tendonitis – heel pain mostly caused due to inflammation in the Achilles tendon
- Ulceration – ulceration any where in the heel area causes heel pain.
- Fracture – mostly to the heel bone or calcaneal bone causes severe heel pain.
- Bursitis – bursitis at the back of heel bone causes heel pain.
- Complete physical examination – Include inspection of affected region, movement, stiffness, tenderness, swelling and other important findings.
- X-ray – to diagnose fracture, osteoarthritis
- MRI – to detect ligament rupture and other conditions
- CT scan – foot and ankle.
- Blood tests – Include complete blood count, coagulation test, and blood culture.
- Urine test – Mainly for blood, sugar and protein etc.
Treatment of Heel Pain
Treatment is mainly depend upon cause and condition
Homeopathic treatment of heel pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat heel pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for heel pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of heel pain:
- Bryonia Alba. – Pain with inflammation which, is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
- Ledum pal. – Excellent remedy for gout and rheumatism which is of ascending nature, better by cold application.
- Rhus Tox. – Pain aggravated by first movement, damp weather and better by continuous motion.
- Guaiacum. – Gouty abscesses of joints, pain relieved by cold bath and cold application.
- Calcaria Carb. – Arthritic swelling, heel pain especially in fleshy people which is worse by cold.
- Benzoic acid – Gouty concretions of joints, heel pain due to abnormal deposition of uric acid
- Hypericum. – Remarkable remedy for rheumatoid arthritis has outstanding action over nerve pain.
- Arnica. – Heel pain especially after an injury with sore and bruised feeling.
Allopathic treatment – include analgesics, NSAIDs, muscular relaxants.
Other modes of treatment for heel pain – include Physiotherapy, Ayurveda, Acupuncture, massage, yoga, and acupressure.