Impotence refers to a man’s absolute inability to obtain a penile erection even after proper stimulation. If the condition is not absolute, i.e.; either erections are not complete or there is an inability to maintain them long enough, then the condition in general is called ‘penile dysfunction’.
Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction – CAUSE
- In majority of cases psychological reasons are implicated.
- Vascular disease involving internal pudendal artery is thought to be one of the reasons for age related impotency.
- A nerve injury or spinal cord injury may result in impotence.
- Impotence may be an early symptom of diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis, tabes dorsalis etc.
Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction – SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Inability to get an erection is usually the only complaint.
- In cases of penile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and spermatorrhoea may be found.
- Depression often accompanies impotence. Severe depression can lead to impotence and impotence can lead to depression. It works both ways.
Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction – TREATMENT & HOMEOPATHIC Medicines
Homeopathy offers some very good medicines to treat this condition. But for proper treatment a homeopath must probe into the psychological reasons behind the condition. A detailed case history is necessary, including not only the sexual history, but also his general medical history, physical and mental characteristics etc. It is not easy give long term results if a homeopath is unable to make a judgment as to ‘What went wrong?’. Also the ‘when’, ‘where’ and ‘how’ need to be answered too. long with the medicine such patients often need psychological counseling, especially so, if there are marked depressive traits present. This counseling can be done by an experienced homeopath or by a trained psychologist.
Some of the medicines commonly indicated in such conditions are agnus-castus, argentum-nit, china, conium, lycopodium, acid-phos, picric-acid, sabal-serr., selenium, strychninum, yohibinum, kali-brom, arnica, baryta-carb, nux-vomica etc. The selection of medicine varies from cae to case, and so do the results. But the food thing about homeopathic treatment is that you don’t need to pop-a-pil every time you desire some action. Once you regain your ability to attain an erection, you usually get it for good.
Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction – CONVENTIONAL TREATMENT
- Viagra, Cialis and similar drugs are now the medicines of choice. you need to pop-a-pill every time you….Also the medicine cannot be given to heart patients without medical examination.
- Anti depressants are often given.
- Penile paparazine injections were used previously.
Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction – WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
Exercise daily -
- it increases the level of male hormones
- it increases the level of certain neurohormones, which result in mood elevation
- it increases the peripheral blood circulation
WHERE ELSE TO FIND MORE INFO? – INTERNET RESOURCES
Davidson’s Principles and Practise of Medicine, 17th ed, 1996, Churchill Livingstone
Hutchinson’s Clinical Methods, Michael Swash, 20th ed, 1995, W B Saunders
New Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica & Repertory, William Boericke, 2nd revised ed., 2001, B. Jain
Select Your remedy, Rai Bahdur Bishambhar Das, 19th ed, 1999, Bishambar Free Homeo Dispensary
The Prescriber, Clarke, reprint ed, 1998, B. Jain
Practical Homeopathic Therapeutics, Dewey, reprint ed, 1993, B.Jain