Pain in ribs or rib-cage is defined as pain or discomfort, which occurs in the ribs and is felt in chest or back. It can caused due to various medical conditions.
Causes of Pain in Ribs
Injury or trauma – any kind of injury or trauma or chest injury can cause mild to severe rib pain along with inflammation.
Fracture rib – caused due to any accident or severe injury results in intense rib pain.
Arthritis – it include osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoporosis – due to abnormal thinning of the bone tissue along with reduced bone density, bones become weak and which result in to rib pain.
Costochondritis – There is inflammation at the junction of ribs and sternum.
Pleurisy – caused due to inflammation of the lining of the lungs and pleura, pain worse by deep breathing.
Pneumonia – it is a common cause of rib pain or chest pain.
Tuberculosis – bacterial infection which mainly affects lungs, can cause rib pain.
Cough – Excessive coughing can cause pain in ribs. It is a kind a trauma.
Diagnosis depends upon cause and medical condition related to pain in ribs. Some important diagnostic methods include:
Physical and general examination of the patient including history of injury or trauma
Blood test – including complete blood count, rheumatoid factors etc.
Treatment of Pain in Ribs
Treatment of rib pain entirely depends upon cause of pain and condition of the patient.
Homeopathic treatment of pain in ribs or rib cage pain –
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which a patient is suffering.
The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat pain in ribs, but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility of the patient. For this patient’s current symptoms, past medical history and family history are taken into account. There are many homeopathic remedies which cover the symptoms of chest pain and pain in ribs and can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment of rib pain, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies for the treatment of rib pain are given below:
- Arnica mont. – pain with sore and bruised feeling. Worse by slight touch. History of blunt trauma.
- Ranunculus b. – A good remedy for intercostal rheumatism, sharp stitching pain in the chest along with Dyspnoea.
- Rhus tox. – Pain is worse by initial motion and cold-damp weather, better continued motion and warmth. Good remedy for pain in ribs arising from injury.
- Kali carb. – Stitching pain which gets worse between 2-3 A.M
- Actea racemosa – Pain worse on the right side.
- Rumex c. – Sharp stitching pain through the left lung, often with dry cough, worse in winters.
- Bryonia – Pain is of stitching, burning and stabbing in nature that is worse by slight motion and better by rest and pressure.
- Stannum – Knife like stitches, worse on bending forward and left side.
- Aconite – Pain due to pneumonia of first stage along with anxiety and restlessness.
- Phosphorus – Violent tickling cough pain due to tuberculosis or pneumonia of lungs along with oppression of the chest.