Sciatica is refers as pain in the distribution of the sciatic nerve or its component nerve roots. The syndrome is now accepted as being caused by lumber disc prolapsed. However, sciatic nerve lesions can occur due to pressure in the buttock or upper part of thigh.
Causes of sciatica pain
- Fibrositis of posterior sacral ligament
- Ankylosisng spondylosis
- Primary bone tumor
- Secondary carcinoma
- Hip joint or sacroiliac joint disease
- Haemorrhage adjacent to nerve sheeth in blood dyscrasias and anti coagulant therapy
- Misplaced therapeutic injection
- Infection of prostate or female genital tract
- Rectal impactions
- Tumors of lumbo- sacral plexus
- Protruded intervertebral disc
Investigation of a case of sciatica
- History – of trauma, exposure to damp or cold, sphincter control and history of previous attack
- Physical examination – lumber spine include shape, mobility, muscle spasm.
- Other investigations include
- Imaging of spine – straight x-ray, MRI
- CSF – may show increased protein with normal cell count in large protruded intervebral disc.
- EMG – may be used to comferm presence of denervation of affected muscles.
- Procaine injection test – for diagnosis of fibrostic pain
- Disc lesion
- Attrition of disc
- Sacra-iliac arthritis
- Secondary deposits in spine
- Benign spinal tumor
- Major lesions in the buttock
- Arthritis of hip
- Intermittent claudication
- Dissecting aneurysm
Treatment of sciatica pain
Treatment depends upon the cause and condition of the sciatica. Some following systems which can be helpful in the treatment of sciatica:
Homeopathic treatment of sciatica pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat sciatica pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for sciatica pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are some specific homeopathic remedies which have remarkable action over sciatica pain:
Bryonia, Bufo, Colchicum, Iris, Kali Iod, Mag Phos, Nux Vom, Rhus Tox, Arsenic Album, Kali Ars, Lycopodium, Phosphorous, Pulsatilla, Sepia, Sulphur
Allopathic treatment - Treatment is available by medication especially analgesics, injections of procaine, injections of Novocain and saline etc.
Other alternative methods of treatments include – Hydrotherapy, Relaxation therapy, Massage therapy, Acupressure, Acupuncture, and Physiotherapy etc.