Shoulder pain is a quite common medical condition which involves mainly muscles, bones, tendons, nerves and ligaments. Shoulder joint is one of the most delicate joint of our body which is very much susceptible to external impressions and forms by the articulation between humerus, scapula and clavicle. Shoulder pain can radiate to other parts like arm, fingers and also can come from other parts as a referred pain in certain medical conditions.
Causes of shoulder pain
Shoulder dislocation – Occurs when there is dislocation between scapula and humerus bone.
Frozen shoulder – In which movement of the shoulder becomes restricted.
Arthritis – Include osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Shoulder fracture – Brakeage of bone which results from injury or trauma.
Shoulder separation – Caused due to separation of A-C joint
Ligament or tendon rupture – A result of injury causes severe shoulder pain.
Carcinoma – Of the upper end of humerus.
Bursitis – In which there is inflammation of the bursa causes shoulder pain
Sprain or overstretching – This is a very common cause of shoulder pain.
Symptoms associated with shoulder pain –
· Disability to move shoulder properly
Diagnosis of Shoulder Pain
- General examination – Examination of joint, stiffness, movement.
- X-ray – To detect fracture or osteoarthritis
- MRI scan – To diagnose ligament rupture and other associated complaints.
- Ultrasound scan – To detect tendonitis.
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Homeopathic treatment of shoulder pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat shoulder pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for shoulder pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of shoulder pain:
- Bryonia Alba. – Pain with inflammation which, is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
- Rhus Tox – Shoulder pain especially due to overstretching or over lifting.
- Arnica Mont. – Shoulder pain with sore, bruised feeling caused due to an injury from blunt instrument.
- Hypericum – Excellent remedy for nerve pain.
- Sticta pul. – Rheumatism of right shoulder blade or joint.
- Gratiola. – Rheumatic and gouty pains in shoulder.
- Lycopersicum – Pain in the right deltoid is marked.
- Alumina silicate. – Pain in the shoulder, pain travels from below to upward.
Allopathic treatment of Pain in Shoulder – Include analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and muscular relaxants. Surgery is applicable in some specific cases.
Other natural and alternative modes of treatment for shoulder pain – Include Physiotherapy, Ayurveda, Acupuncture, massage, yoga, acupressure.