Kidney stone or renal calculi or nephrolithiasis refers to condition of s tone formation in kidney. Stone scan be formed in any region of kidney and urinary system.
Aetiopathogenasis of kidney stones
- Infection – organism such as proteus, pseudomonas, klebsiella produce recurrent urinary tract infection. These organisms produce urea and causes stasis of urine which precipitates stone formation.
- Hot climate – causes increase in concentration of solutes, resulting in precipitation of calcium which forms calcium oxalate stones.
- Dietary factors – diet each in re meat, fish, and eggs can give rise to aciduria. Diet rich in calcium, tomatoes, milk, and spinach produces calcium oxalate stones.
- Metabolic causes – hyperthyroidism increases serum calcium levels resulting in hypercalcinosis and pelvic stones, gout increases uric acid levels and cause multiple uric acid stones.
Other causes include
- Less urinary citrate
- Improper or inadequate urinary drainage
- Any injury to renal epithelium
Types of stones
- Calcium oxalate stones
- Phosphate stones
- Uric acid stones
- Cystine stones
- Xanthine and indigo stones
Symptoms of kidney stones
- Colicky pain from loin to groin
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Rigidity in back and abdominal muscles
Mainly following investigations are important
- Blood uria and creatinine
- Plain X-ray KUB
- Intra venous pylography
- Urine for culture and sensitivity
Treatment of kidney stones
Drink large quantity of water
Pass urine whenever urge
Homeopathic treatment of kidney stone – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat kidney stone but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for kidney stone treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensation and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of kidney stones:
Berberis Vulgaris, Ocimum Can, Lycopodium, China Sulph, Sarsaparilla, Pareira B, Calcaria Carb, Urtica Urens, Natrum Phos, Terebinthina, Belladonna, Dioscorea, Cantharis, Millefolium, causticum and many other medicines.
Allopathic treatment of kidney stones – mainly include intravenous hydration followed by frusemide may help in small stone to pass spontaneously. Surgery is also helpful in case of kidney stone.
Other natural and alternative modes for treatment of kidney stones – mainly include Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Unani pathy, Chinese medicine etc.