- Do you snore?
- Do you often wake up from deep sleep abruptly?
- Do you get morning headaches and a fatigued feeling all throughout the day?
- Do you have excessive daytime sleepiness and find it difficult to maintain your attention?
Possibly you are suffering with Sleep Apnea.
Sleep apnea is one of the most common yet serious ailments in which breathing stops and starts intermittently. It affects one out of every 15 Americans and males are more prone to get it than females.
In this, the breathing stops all of a sudden and that can last from a few seconds to few minutes. For diagnostic purposes, one should get at least five episodes of sleep apnea within one hour of sleep. In some severe cases, it can occur up to 30 times an hour.
Most common signs & symptoms:
- Loud snoring most of the times
- Intermittent breathing pauses which are observed more by other people
- Chronic fatigue during day time
- Difficulty concentrating
- Excessive sleepiness during the day
- Dry mouth
There are two major types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, where the throat muscles get relaxed. This one is the most common type of sleep apnea.
- Central sleep apnea: where the brain does not send breathing signals to the respiratory muscles.
Who is more at risk?
- Obese people
- People with thicker neck circumference
- Males more affected than females
- Family history of sleep apnea
- Alcohol or tranquilizer abuse
- Diabetes or hypertension
What can be done apart from medication?
- Try to sleep on more on the side than on the back
- Avoid alcohol or sedatives
- Take regular medication
Homeopathy treats the central or root-cause, and in my experience, has shown to be very effective in relieving the symptoms of sleep apnea. The most commonly used remedies include – Calc Carb, Hepar sulph, Ipec and Sambucus.
A Case Presentation:
Female aged 47 yrs presented with complaints of sleep apnea for the last 6-8 years. The ailment prevented her from getting continuous and refreshing sleep. “I have not slept throughout the night without a break since ages” she said.
No other ailment
Flabby, wheatish complexion
Thermally – ambithermal; Perspiration – normal. Nothing significant in cravings or aversions; Menopause 2 years back – uneventful
Thirst – seasonal; Sun Headache – if exposed for more than 3-4 hours (not immediately)
Sleep – disturbed due to chief complaint; but gets tremendous sleep after meals – she described it as “deepest sleep ever”.
Kent – Sleepiness; Eating after = Agar, Calc and Nux = 3 marked
This case presented with minimal symptoms to form the totality.
Quick reference from Kent indicated these three remedies – with flabby body structure and sun headache (though not very characteristic) – Calc Carb was selected as the deep acting remedy.
First Prescription & Follow-ups:
|6 Feb 2015||Case defined||Calc Carb 1M TDS|
X 3 days
Placebo for 1 wk
|16 Feb 2015||Definitely improved quality of night sleep with more refreshing days||Placebo|
|29 Feb 2015||Doing good – snoring has reduced|
Still sleepy after meals
|16 March||Status quo on sleep quality and snoring|
Sleepy after meals – SQ
|Calc Carb 1M TDS x 3 days|
|20 April||Almost 90% better at all levels|
Snoring almost stopped
Not sleepy after meals any more