With Cancer on the increase, this article aims to look at the reason why this disease is now so prevalent focusing in particular on how Homeopathy can help patients and those involved in their treatment and support. Attention is given in particular to the remedy Carcinosin, its source and its role in treating cancer.
Next to heart ailments, cancer is the second most widespread reason for death in the Western world. Cancer has dramatically increased in the latter half of the twentieth century and now in the twenty-first century, one in three people on the planet are diagnosed with cancer.
What is Cancer?
Cancer Research provides the following definition of Cancer;
“Cancer is a disease caused by normal cells changing so that they grow in an uncontrolled way. The uncontrolled growth causes a lump called a tumour to form. If not treated, the tumour can cause problems in one or more of the following ways;
- Spreading into normal tissues nearby
- Causing pressure on other body structures
- Spreading to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or bloodstream
There are over 200 different types of cancer because there are over 200 different types of body cells. The types of cancer may include;
- Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) , Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), Anal cancer
- Bladder cancer, Bone cancer, Bowel cancer, Brain tumours, Breast cancer
- Cancer of unknown primary, Carcinoid, Cervical cancer, Choriocarcinoma, Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), Chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML), Colon cancer, Colorectal cancer
- Endometrial cancer, Eye cancer
- Gallbladder cancer, Gastric cancer, Gestational trophoblastic tumours (GTT)
- Hairy cell leukaemia, Head and neck cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Kidney cancer
- Laryngeal cancer, Leukaemia, Liver cancer, Lung cancer, Lymphoma
- Melanoma skin cancer, Mesothelioma, Molar pregnancy, Mouth and oropharyngeal cancer, Myeloma
- Nasal and sinus cancers, Nasopharyngeal cancer, Non Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL)
- Oesophageal cancer, Ovarian cancer
- Pancreatic cancer, Penile cancer, Prostate cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Salivary gland cancer, Skin cancer (non melanoma), Soft tissue sarcoma, Stomach cancer
- Testicular cancer, Thyroid cancer
- Unknown primary cancer, Uterine cancer
- Vaginal cancer, Vulval cancer
- Womb cancer, Women’s cancers
What causes it?
- Tobacco and diet account for two thirds of all cancer deaths
- Cancer of the lung, breast, prostate, colon and rectum have all become more frequent in countries where risk factors such as cigarette smoking, unhealthy diets and exposure to dangerous chemicals are more common
- Animal (saturated) fat in general and red meat in particular are associated with several cancers – colon and rectum, as well as prostate cancer
- Children who overeat and exercise too little seem to be at a higher risk of acquiring certain cancers
- Occupation carcinogens include asbestos, benzene, formaldehyde, diesel exhaust and radon
- Immunosuppressive drugs can cause certain types of lymphomas and supplemental oestrogens have been linked to uterine and breast cancer
- Oral contraceptives slightly increase the risk of some types of liver tumours
- For educational, career-related and other reasons, millions of women in developed countries are putting off childbearing and are having fewer children, in general than their mothers or grandmothers did. The increase of breast and ovarian cancer seems to be related to these factors:
- Suppressed emotions – anger – strong links with breast cancer
- Psychological factors – research has shown that an attitude of passivity and hopelessness in the face of life stressors, including the stressor of being told you have cancer, encourages the spread of cancerous cells
- Cancer sufferers, as well as those in the pre-cancerous stage were also noted for their tendency to blame themselves for their misfortunes
Homeopathic treatment for cancer symptoms
The treatment of cancer can be looked at in three ways. Firstly, a patient may choose a conventional treatment of cancer and may opt for a method that destroys the cancer choosing surgery and chemotherapy. This can be a very aggressive form of treatment. Secondly, a patient may choose to stimulate the body to destroy the cancer cells and in so doing restore the body to health by letting it heal itself. Thirdly, patients may opt for a more integrative approach where they pick and choose from a combination of conventional and natural treatments.
Homeopathy offers the patient holistic treatment in that it helps the patient on a physical, mental and emotional level and looks at the complete illness picture of the patient rather than just focusing on the site of the cancer. Homeopathic remedies can be offered to the patient to help with their presenting symptoms, which will vary enormously with each individual. These symptoms will also change at the varying stages of the illness.
The remedy Carcinosin is often used successfully in the treatment of Cancer. Carcinosin is made by first preparing a specimen of the cancerous tissue, usually taken from the breast, and subsequently sterilizing and dissolving it in disinfected water. This blend is then diluted as well as succussed repeatedly.
Whilst we are uncertain who was the first to use cancer nosodes we know that Dr Burnett was the first person to write about their use. Dr Burnett also proved this remedy on himself and the symptoms that they produced in him were that he felt a deathly sinking, sickly sensation.
J. Clarke records many cases where he successfully uses the cancer nosode to cure cancer, Carcinosin being the most predominant. He says;
“Of all the remedies for cancer, in my experience the cancer nosodes form the most important class and the use of them ought to be more familiar to homoeopaths themselves”.
Cooper also relates numerous cases in which he has successfully used Carcinosinum 200 and states;
“I would lay it down as a maxim that there is no case of carcinoma that Carcinosinum would not benefit from at some period of its existence, so much so that I would suggest the proverb;
‘When in doubt give Carcinosinum’
Ramakrishnan has been using cancer nosodes in cancer treatment for the last thirty years and he is leading the world in the homoeopathic treatment of cancer, treating at least 2000 cancer patients a year. One of the nosodes he uses is Carcinosinum.
Many homoeopaths use Carcinosinum to remove the predisposition to cancer. Kent said on cancer, “Patients have been kept comfortable…and the sufferings usually accompanying this condition were avoided.” So it was noted that Carcinosinum has relieved cancer pains. Carcinosinum won’t cure cancer, but according to Kent, it will palliate the cancer for years taking away the sharp, burning and tearing pains.
Foubister studied 200 pregnant women who had cancer and, later, their children. The children had a tendency to birthmarks. He claimed that Carcinosinum was useful for deep pigmentations. Foubister also made an observation that people who lived under severe fear for long periods of time often needed this remedy.
In his article in the New England Journal of Homeopathy, Frank Gruber wrote about the cycle of Carcinosin during which the patient’s modalities changed as the cancer patient went through a variety of phases during their illness. He described six phases of the cycle; fear, letting themselves be cared for, inwardness, resentment, frenetic breakout and breakdown. During the first of these phases he described how the patient is fearful for their survival and their ability to make their way in the world and how they feel threatened.
During the second phase the patient resorts to letting others take care of them. If they can’t make their own way in the world then they just let themselves fall into the hands of others. At this point the patient may crave and feel better for comforting foods. During the next phase of the cycle they go within themselves and can become quiet and introspective and they may have symptoms which include abdominal pains and mental and emotional symptoms such as feeling lost. This will take them into the resentment phase whereby they become intolerant and resentful and they may be aggravated by the very things that ameliorated them during the second phase.
In the fifth phase they may break out and want to dance and have lots of sex and they develop a love of thunderstorms before entering the last phase where feel weak and sad and may develop symptoms such as mouth ulcers, schizophrenia and feeling too weak to talk or walk.
What is important to bear in mind here is that the cancer patient will go through a variety of phases during their illness and the support and treatment will need to match the individual’s symptom picture during each phase. As well as using Carcinosin to help treat their cancer it is important that cancer patients are advised on the changes they can make to their lifestyles which may include;
- Eating a diet consisting of vegetables and fruits and eating red meat in moderation.
- Giving up smoking
- Avoiding exposure to dangerous chemicals and occupational carcinogens
- Talking, laughing, crying and expressing anger
- Doing things that they enjoy doing
- Sleeping and resting and spending time with family and friends and the people they love