The following is taken from a Forum chat that Elaine, Barb, Lousie and Shirley had on Nux Vomica.
Elaine: By the way, Shirley, why don’t you tell our friends what you explained to us last night about Nux vomica?
Shirley: Oh, you mean that you can pop ’em like Valium? Yeah, it’s a great remedy for stress and overdoing things, insomnia and general calming of the nervous system. Just like Natrum-mur is the constitutional remedy of the British (stiff upper lip and all that rot), Nux vomica is the constitutional remedy of the US.
Everyone should keep a bottle of Nux vomica 30C at home, in the car, at work, in your purse, and anywhere else you can think of. I tell newbies that if they can only buy one remedy, make it Nux vomica. While Arnica seems to be more popular, how many times are you going to injure yourself compared to the number of times you’re going to feel stressed? Nux vomica is a lot more useful.
Louise: So, I wonder if Canadians could also use Nux vomica for stress and the fast paced life? Would taking it interfere with a constitutional remedy you are being treated with? I wonder if it would calm my easily agitated son when he gets overwrought.
Shirley: First of all, yes, it will definitely antidote any other remedy.
Some examples of situations where it is a good choice:
1) You’re on your way to an important meeting and you get stuck in traffic.
If you are a yogi, you are calm and accepting. If you are not, take Nux vomica.
3) You’re traveling on business and working long hours and eating too much restaurant food.
4) You stayed up too late watching TV the night before and now you’re having trouble getting going in the morning. Arnica could also help. I tell people if they stayed up late doing a bad thing, take Nux vomica; if they stayed up late doing a good thing, take Arnica.
5) You just got home from work, the kids are squabbling, you forgot to take the meat out of the freezer, and hubby calls that he’s bringing an out of town client home for dinner.
6) Your college student calls. He was on his way home for the weekend with his laundry and his car broke down – 150 miles from school and 150 miles from home. You were planning on a relaxing weekend with hubby and now you have to drive three hours to pick him up, three hours to bring him back and then figure out what to do about his car and how he’s going to get back to school.
There are many, many more situations, but I think you get the picture.
Barb: How about – the kids are constantly bickering and your new dog has started barking and growling at strangers and hubby is having lots of strangers over for a recording session in the basement and needs things to be quiet and every time the dog hears the drums he goes nuts and your youngest daughter is doing headstands on the couch and you told her to stop 30 times and she won’t and you can’t find an important phone number you are looking for and you have laundry to do and puppy decided that since it is raining he should just poop and pee on the carpet so he won’t get his paws wet. Sigh.
Shirley: Running away from home would probably work better,
but Nux vomica is worth a try. Give a dose to everyone, including each of the band members and the dog.
Barb: Running away from home…..now there’s an idea.
Elaine: Yeah, even I can see that you’re having a Nux vomica moment! But Shirley, why everyone in the house?
Shirley: Why everyone in the house you ask?
1. The kids are constantly bickering = irritability
2. The dog has started barking and growling at strangers = aggressive
3. Hubby is having lots of strangers over for a recording session in the basement
and needs things to be quiet = having trouble going with the flow – or maybe stupidity (not a Nux vomica rubric) thinking he can do a recording session with a house full of kids and a dog. I’m thinking more of everyone’s mood when they discover that quiet just ain’t gonna happen!
4. Every time the dog hears the drums he goes nuts = sensitive nervous system.
5. My youngest daughter is doing headstands on the couch and I told her to stop 30 times and she won’t = hyper
6. You can’t find an important phone number you are looking for and you have laundry to do = harried and stressed
7. The puppy decided that since it’s raining he should just poop and pee on the carpet so he won’t get his paws wet = worse from getting feet wet! So there you have it! Nux vomica, the pre-eminent remedy for modern day life!