Joint pain refers to the feeling of discomfort or uneasiness along with pain in any joint of the body including knee, hip, shoulder, ankle, elbow and various small joints, which can caused due to various mild to severe medical conditions.
Common Causes of joint pain
- Arthritis – which include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout.
- Injury – can damage bones, ligament and cartilage that ultimately lead to severe joint pain.
- Infection – Any kind of infection to the joint may result in joint pain.
- Overuse – Overuse of joint can cause bursitis which ultimately leads to intense joint pain.
- Sprain- Due to sudden unnatural movements causes pain as well as restriction of movement of the joint.
- Dislocation – Also causes severe joint pain.
- Metabolic cause – Osteomalacia
- Malignancy – Myeloma, metastatic carcinoma.
Diagnosis of Joint Pains
- Complete physical examination – Include inspection of affected joint, movement, stiffness, tenderness, swelling and other important findings.
- Microscopic examination – Of joint fluid.
- X-ray – To diagnose fracture, osteoarthritis
- MRI – to detect ligament rupture and other conditions
- MANTOUX TEST – To diagnose tuberculosis
- Blood tests – Include complete blood count, coagulation test, and blood culture.
- Urine test – Mainly for blood, sugar and protein etc.
Treatment of joint pains
Homeopathic treatment of joint pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat joint pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for joint pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain.
For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of joint pain:
- Bryonia Alba. – Pain with inflammation which, is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
- Ledum pal. – Excellent remedy for gout and rheumatism which is of ascending nature, better by cold application.
- Rhus Tox. – Pain aggravated by first movement, damp weather and better by continuous motion.
- Colchicum – pain worse by motion touch or mental effort, better by warmth and rest.
- Kalmia lot. – descending type of pain, pain with palpitation of heart and slow pulse
- Guaiacum. – Gouty abscesses of joints, pain relieved by cold bath and cold application.
- Calcaria Carb. – Arthritic swelling, joints pain especially in fleshy people which is worse by cold.
- Benzoic acid – gouty concretions of joints, joints pain due to abnormal deposition of uric acid
- Hypericum. – Remarkable remedy for rheumatoid arthritis has outstanding action over nerve pain.
Allopathic treatment of joint pain – Include analgesics, NSAIDs, muscular relaxants. Surgery is applicable in some specific cases.
Other effective modes of treatment for joint pain – Include Physiotherapy, Ayurveda, Acupuncture, massage, yoga, acupressure