Are you looking for a homeopathic cure for liver cirrhosis? This article discusses the homeopathy treatment of liver cirrhosis along with the best homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis treatment.
- Liver Cirrhosis is a condition characterized by replacement of normal liver tissues with fibrosed scar tissue.
- This happens due to the damage of liver tissue by various agents results in abnormal liver functions.
- It is a chronic condition develops over the years.
- Most common causes of liver cirrhosis include alcohol, hepatitis and fatty liver disease.
Role of LIVER in body
Liver is the part of digestive system located in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen.
- Role of liver include production and storage of protein, fat, vitamins and glucose.
- As a digestive gland it produces bile, an alkaline compound which helps the breakdown of fat.
- The gallbladder, a small pouch that lies just under the liver, stores bile produced by the liver.
- Another major function of the liver is detoxification. It removes toxins from the blood.
What is liver Cirrhosis?
Cirrhosis of liver is a degenerative disease results in fibrosis of liver cells. Liver cells get damaged due to various reasons like infections, alcohol, toxins. After injury cells heal by themselves. During the process of self healing scar tissues develop in liver parenchyma.
Normal liver tissue is replaced by fibrous scar tissue termed as regeneration nodule. New blood vessels develop within fibrous tissue. These blood vessels are small that cannot compensate with the blood flow within the liver results in increase pressure in portal vein which drains into the liver.
Portal vein which drains into liver becomes congested leads to portal hypertension, which is responsible for the symptomatology characteristics of cirrhosis.
Homeopathic Remedies & Homeopathy Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the homeopathic treatment of liver cirrhosis. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to liver cirrhosis because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these medicines should be taken without professional advice.
Commonly indicated homeopathy medicines for liver cirrhosis –
- Bryonia alba
- Nux vomica
- Myrica cerifera
- Carduus marianus
- Plumbum met
- Natrum sulph
- Kali bi chromicum
- Muriaticum acidum
- Colchicum autumnale
- China officinalis
- Thuja occidentalis
- When there are stitching pains in the right hypochondriac region, Bryonia is the first remedy to be thought of.
- Under Bryonia the liver is swollen, congested and inflamed.
- The pains in the hypochondriac region are worse from any motion, and better from lying on the right side, which lessens the motion of the parts when breathing.
- Nausea and faintness when rising up.
- Abnormal hunger, loss of taste.
- Thirst for large quantity.
- Vomiting of bile and water immediately after eating. Worse, warm drinks, which are vomited.
- Stomach sensitive to touch.
- Pressure in stomach after eating, as of a stone. Soreness in stomach when coughing.
- There is a bitter in the mouth and the stools hard, dry, as if burnt; seem too large. Stools brown, thick and bloody.
- Bryonia pre-eminently a gastro-hepatic remedy, and has pain in right shoulder, giddiness, skin and eyes slightly yellow.
- This homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis has much sensitiveness and dull pain in the region of the liver; the patient cannot lie on the right side.
- The liver is enlarged. The skin and conjunctiva are jaundiced (yellow colored).
- Intense thirst for cold drinks. Weak digestion, with continuous hunger. Stomach sensitive to touch
- The stools are either clay-colored from absence of bile, or yellowish-green bilious stools passed with a great colic and tenesmus.
- There is a yellowish white coated tongue which takes the imprint of the teeth and there is a fetid breath, loss of appetite and depression of spirits.
- All Mercury symptoms are worse at night, from warmth of bed, from damp, cold, rainy weather, worse during perspiration.
- Complaints increase with the sweat and rest; all associated with a great weariness, prostration, and trembling.
- The principal use of Podophyllum is in liver affections. Primarily, it induces a large flow of bile, and, secondarily, great torpidity, followed by jaundice.
- It is indicated in torpid or chronically congested liver, when diarrhea is present.
- The liver is swollen and sensitive, the face and eyes are yellow and there is a bad taste in the mouth.
- The tongue is coated white or yellow and the bile may form gall stones.
- There is a loose watery diarrhea, or if constipation be present the stools are clay-called.
- Morning, painless diarrhea.
- Green, watery, fetid, profuse, gushing of stool.
- Prolapse of rectum before or with stool.
- Constipation; clay-colored, hard, dry, difficult.
- Constipation alternating with diarrhea
- Another symptom of Podophyllum is that the patient constantly rubs the region of the liver with the hand.
- Functional torpor of the portal system and the organs connected there with indicates Podophyllum.
- The liver symptoms of Chelidonium are very prominent.
- There is soreness and stitching pains in the region of the liver, but the keynote for this drug in hepatic diseases is a pain under the angle of the right shoulder blade, which may extend to the chest, stomach, or hypochondrium.
- There is swelling of the liver, chilliness, fever, jaundice, yellow coated tongue, bitter taste and a craving for acids and sour things, such as pickles and vinegar.
- The stools are profuse, bright yellow and diarrhea; they may be clayey in color.
- It is remedy to be used in simple biliousness and jaundice, and in hepatic congestion or inflammation the character of the stools will distinguish Bryonia.
- homeopathic medicine for liver cirrhosis is perhaps our greatest liver remedy; it causes the liver to secrete thinner and more profuse bile than any remedy;
- It is a useful remedy to promote the expulsion of gall stones, and to prevent their formation
- When jaundice arises from cardiac diseases, Digitalis may be the remedy.
- There is no retention of bile, nor obstruction of the ducts, but the jaundice is due to the fact that the liver does not take from the blood the elements which go to form bile.
- There is drowsiness, bitter taste, soreness , enlargement and bruised feeling in the region of the liver.
- Digitalis is useful in the worst forms of jaundice if the pulse be irregular and intermittent, and if there be rapid prostration of the strength.
- White, chalk-like, ashy, pasty stools. Diarrhoea during jaundice.
- Myrica is an important liver remedy.
- There is first despondency and also jaundice due to imperfect formation of bile in the liver, and not to any obstruction, comparing here with Digitalis.
- There is dull headache, worse in the morning, the eyes have a dingy, dirty, yellowish hue, the tongue is coated yellow.
- The headache is worse in the morning.
- The patient is weak and complains of muscular soreness and aching in the limbs; there is slow pulse and dark urine.
- It is more superficial in action than Digitalis.
- The jaundice calling for its use is catarrhal and this is the form produced by the drug.
- The throat and nasal organs are filled with offensive, tenacious mucus.
- Dull pain in right side below the ribs no appetite, and desire for acids; unrefreshing sleep.
- In liver affections occurring in those who have indulged to excess in alcoholic liquors, highly seasoned food, quinine, or in those who have abused themselves with purgatives, Nux is the first remedy to be thought of.
- Bruised soreness of abdominal walls.
- Liver engorged, with stitches and soreness.
- Colic, with upward pressure, causing short breath, and desire for stool.
- Constipation, with frequent ineffectual urging, incomplete and unsatisfactory; feeling as if part remained unexpelled.
- Alternate constipation and diarrhoea-after abuse of purgatives.
- Colic may be present.
- The liver is swollen hard and sensitive to the touch and pressure of clothing is uncomfortable. The first remedy in cirrhosis of the liver.
- Lycopodium acts powerfully on the liver.
- The region of the liver is sensitive to the touch, and there is a feeling of tension in it, a feeling as if a cord were tied about the waist. Cirrhosis.
- The pains are dull and aching instead of sharp and lancinating.
- Fullness in the stomach after eating a small quantity.
- There is apt to be weight and aching in the liver; he can lie on that side, but on turning to the left side the liver seems to pull and draw.
- Pain in back and right side from congestion will often yield to the remedy.
- The action of this drug is centered in the liver, and portal system, causing soreness, pain, jaundice.
- Abuse of alcoholic beverages, especially beer.
- This homeopathic medicine for liver disease is indicated in jaundice with dull headache, bitter taste, and white tongue with red edges, nausea and vomiting of a greenish fluid.
- There is an uncomfortable fullness in the region of the liver, the stools are bilious and the urine golden yellow.
- Constipation; stools hard, difficult, knotty; alternates with diarrhoea. Stools bright yellow.
- Swelling of gall bladder with painful tenderness.
- There is sensitiveness in the epigastrium and right hypochondrium.
- a dark brownish patch over the lower part of the sternum as a useful hint for Carduus, presence of “liver spots seems to be a special indication for the remedy.
- Haemorrhages, especially connected with liver disease.
- Phosphorus is the remedy for fatty degeneration of the liver, with well marked soreness and jaundice.
- The stools are grayish white.
- Jaundice accompanying pneumonia may also call for Phosphorus.
- Suddenness of symptoms, sudden prostration, faints, sweats, shooting pains, etc.
- Fatty degenerations, cirrhosis, caries, are pathological states often calling for Phosphorus.
What causes Liver Cirrhosis?
- Long-standing alcohol abuse
- Medications (e.g., acetaminophen, amiodarone or chemotherapy drugs such as methotrexate)
- Industrial poisons (CCl4, arsenic, Chloroform),
- Plant poisons ( Aphlatoxine, Muscarine)
- (Chronic) viral hepatitis B, C, and D
- Parasitic infections (e.g., schistosomiasis, leishmaniasis, malaria)
Primary biliary cirrhosis – when bile duct is damaged which drains bile from liver to the gall bladder, due to autoimmune response leads to secondary liver damage.