Neutropenia is a condition in which the number of neutrophils (the most important type of blood cells) in the bloodstream is decreased.
Neutrophils usually make up of 50-70% of circulating white blood cells and plays an important role in primary defense against infections by destroying bacteria in the blood.
Principal causes of neutropenia
- Alloimmune neonatal neutropenia
- Cyclic neutropenia
- Kostman syndrome
- Primary (rare, usually occurs in children and runs a benign course).
- Systemic lupus erythmematous
- Felty syndrome in persons with rheumatoid arthritis infection related
- Many types of infections agents, but most commonly viruses.
- Mechanisms include increased consumptions of neutrophils, production of autoantibodies, direct infilteration of hematotopoietic cells, bone marrow suppression.
- Cancer chemotherapeutic drugs (bone marrow depression)
- Immune-mediated reactions in which drugs act as haptens
- Accelerated apoptosis
Radiation therapy to bone marrow
- Shaking chills
- Sore throat
- Cough or shortness of breath
- Nasal congestion
- Diarrhea or loose stool
- Burning during urination
- Unusual redness, swelling or warmth at the site of an injury
- Ulceration of oral mucosa
- Lack surrounding inflammation and are characterized by necrosis
- Oral ulcers, advanced periodical disease, pericoronitis and pulpal infection-potentially life threatening-can lead to bacteremia and septicemia.
Diagnosis of neutropenia mainly depends upon complete blood count.
Some other tests include:
- Autoantibody screen
- Test for antineutrophil antibodies
- Vitamin B12 and folate assay
- Acidified serum test
- Tests for detection of systemic lupus erythmematous.
Homeopathic treatment for neutropenia
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat neutropenia but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several remedies are available to treat neutropenia that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensations and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are following remedies which are helpful in the treatment of neutropenia:
Arsenic Album, Kali Iod, Iodium, Lachesis, Mercurius, Nitric Acid, Natrum Phos, Fluoric Acid, Bryonia, Sulphuric Acid, Cantharis, Podophyllum, Aloe, Sulphur, Ammonium Carb, and many other medicines.