Ring worm is a fungal infection, affecting superficial skin. Dermatophytes are the fungi causing ringworm hence also known as dermatophytosis. It appears in various forms of cutaneous infection. The names are given according to the site affected. The degree of inflammation depends on the causative fungus and host immunity. It may transmit from soil, animal or from human to human.
Cause of Ring worm
The causative agent is fungi it belongs to 3 genera-microsporum tricohyton epidermophytum.They can originate from the soil or animals or be confined to human to human.
Clinical forms of Ringworm
- Tenia corporis
- Tenia cruris
- Tenia pedis
Clinical features of ring worms
- Tenia corporis – lesions are erythematous, annular and scaly, well defined edge and often central clearing.
- It may be single or multiple and usually asymmetrical
- Tenia cruris – this common world wide ring worm affects the groin and is usually caused by trichyton rubrum, it Appers as itchy erythematous plaques extending from flexures to thighs.
- Tenia pedis – it is common form of ring worm affection in UK and USA caused by anthropophilic fungi.
- Appears as itchy rash between toes, with peeling , fissuring and maceration. Involvement of one sole or palm with fine scaling is characteristic of T.rubrum
- Vesiculation or frank blistering is more commonly seen in T. metagrophytes.
Diagnosis of ring worm
Diagnosis is confined to microscopic studies of skin scrapings.
Treatment of ring worm
Homeopathic treatment of ring worm – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat ring worm but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for ring worm’s treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of ring worms:
Bacillinum, Sepia, Calcaria Carb, Sulphur, Apis Mel, Tellurium, Merc Sol, Rhus Tox, Lachesis and many other medicines.
Allopathic treatment of ring worms – mainly include topical and systemic treatment
Persons clothing should be washed thoroughly and should not be shared