Pain or unpleasant feeling in the region of stomach, a part of digestive tract placed in the abdominal cavity between esophagus and small intestine.
Causes of stomach pain
- Peptic ulcer – Mucosal ulceration near the acid bearing regions of the gastrointestinal tract, pain characteristically sharply circumscribed to an area about 1 inch in diameter between xephoid and umbilicus.
- Cholecystitis – Attacks of epigastric pain with tenderness over gall bladder.
- Carcinoma of pancreas – mid gastric pain, steady and dull or paroxysmal colicky pain
- Gastroesophagial reflux disease – Can cause stomach pain.
- Carcinoma stomach – Daily discomfort along with pain in the abdomen
- Acute pancreatitis – Severe backache and tenderness in the epigastrium
- Irritable bowel syndrome – Post prandial type of pain which is related to meal
- Other causes – Include gastroenteritis, diverticulitis, intestinal obstruction, indigestion, hepatitis, gastritis etc.
Diagnosis of Stomach Pain
- Blood test – Complete blood count, blood culture
- X ray abdomen – To diagnose intestinal obstruction etc
- Abdominal CT scan – To evaluate internal organs and tissues, useful to detect tumor infections.
- Abdominal MRI – To diagnose abnormal growth, tumors
- Abdominal ultrasound – To assess the structures with in the abdomen.
- Videoendoscopy – To know the extent of lesion especially in case of ca stomach.
Treatment of Stomach Pain
Homeopathic treatment of stomach pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for stomach pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some useful medicines are given below for the treatment of stomach pain:
- Nux vom – One of the best remedy for such complaints especially due to indigestion
- Colocynthis – pain which is better by bending double or by hard pressure.
- Pulsatilla – pain which is caused after taking rich food, pastry
- Natrum carb – pain which is relieved by eating
- Cuprum met. – Violent spasms which is aggravated by cold drinks.
- Croton tig– gripping pain which is associated with profuse watery diarrhea
- Chamomilla – Spasmodic pain especially after anger
- Dioscorea – Pain which is better by bending backward
- Belladonna – pain due to intestinal obstruction
- Mag phos – violent, spasmodic pain which is better by hot application.
- China off – pain associated with distension and fullness specially after eating
Allopathic treatment of stomach pain – treatment is depending upon cause or medical condition; surgery can also be done in few surgical diseases.
Other natural or alternative treatment of stomach pain – include naturopathy, Ayurveda, Vitamin B3, VitaminB5, meditation etc.