– Sarcoidosis– Definition
– Homoeopathy and Sarcoidosis
– Case History
Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that affects multiple organs in the body, but mostly the lungs and lymph glands. In patients with sarcoidosis, abnormal masses or nodules, called granulomas consisting of inflamed tissues form in certain organs of the body. These granulomas might alter the normal structure and possibly the function of the affected organ(s).
Sarcoidosis most often occurs between 20 and 40 years of age, and is diagnosed more often in women than in men.
The exact cause of sarcoidosis is not known. The disease is associated with an abnormal immune response, but what triggers this response is uncertain. How sarcoidosis spreads from one part of the body to another is still being studied.
The symptoms of sarcoidosis can vary greatly, depending on which organs are involved. Most patients initially complain of a persistent dry cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms and disease characteristics might include:
- Tender, reddish bumps or patches on the skin
- Red and teary eyes or blurred vision
- Swollen and painful joints
- Enlarged and tender lymph glands in the neck, armpits, and groin.
- Enlarged lymph glands in the chest and around the lungs
- Nasal stuffiness and hoarse voice
- Pain in the hands, feet, or other bony areas due to the formation of cysts in bones
- Kidney stone formation
- Enlarged liver
- arrhythmias, pericarditis, or heart failure
- Nervous system effects, including hearing loss, meningitis, seizures, or psychiatric disorders (for example, dementia, depression, psychosis)
In some people, symptoms might begin suddenly and/or severely, and subside in a short period of time. Others might have no outward symptoms at all even though organs are affected. Still others might have symptoms that appear slowly and subtly, but which last or recur over a long time span.
There is no single way to diagnose sarcoidosis, since all the symptoms and laboratory results can occur in other diseases. The following are the main tools to diagnose sarcoidosis.
- Chest X-rays for cloudiness (pulmonary infiltrates) lymphadenopathy.
- CT scan for more detailed look at the lungs and lymph.
- Pulmonary function tests to measure how well the lungs are working.
- Bronchoscopyto inspect the bronchial tubes and biopsy to look for granulomas and to obtain material to rule out infection.
In many people with sarcoidosis, the disease appears briefly and then disappears without the person even knowing they have the disease. Twenty percent to 30 percent of people have some permanent lung damage. For 10 percent to 15 percent, sarcoidosis is a chronic condition. In some people, the disease might result in the deterioration of the affected organ. Sarcoidosis can be fatal in up to 5 percent of patients.
Homoeopathy and Sacrcoidosis
Synthesis 9.2.1b – CHEST – SARCOIDOSIS pulmonalis
ars-br. Ars-i. Beryl. lyc. Mang-s.nat-ar. parathyr. pin-s. puls. Tub-m.tub. v-a-b.
Patient’s name- Gurdev Singh Goraya, Male- 24 years, DOC- 02-09-2007
Low Grade Fever, worse evening,
Loose motions, off and on,
Nausea, Vomiting off and on,
Stool- Frequent- normally formed stool,
Mentals– Suspicious, Irritable, loathing of life,
H/O Malaria- Plasmodium vivex
ACE (04-11-2007) – 122 (Normal- 08- 52 U/L)
TB Elisa- Equivocal
CT Thorax (02-11-2007) – Mediastinal Lymphadenopathy. Bilateral Hilar Lymphadenopathy.
Increased ACE- Negative Mx– CT Findings positive for lymphadenitis = Sarcoidosis
First prescription- 05-09-2007
Ars. iodatum 200 weekly
Sac lac TDS
Second Prescription- 09-11-2007
Tenesmus, Dysentry, Aphthous ulcers in mouth with much salivation.
Merc sol. 30 TDS
Much Better. CT- Single Subcarinal Lymphnode. Other nodes dissolved.
ACE- 99.9 U/L
Fourth Prescription- 05-03-2008
Almost asymptomatic, cheerful.
ACE- 58.8 U/L (NormalRange- 08- 52 U/L)
Resolution of Sarcoidosis, which is considered an incurable disease, with Homoeopathy.
All reports attached.
Dr. Rajneesh Kumar Sharma
B.Sc., B.H.M.S., M.D. (Homoeopathy), h.M.D. (U.K.), D.I. Hom. (London)
Homoeo Cure & Research Centre P. Ltd.
NH 74, Moradabad Road, Kashipur (Uttaranchal)
INDIA, Pin- 244713