A 36-year-old lady consulted me on skype on January 8, 2020 for secondary sterility since 7 years. She aborted her first child when she was 23 and felt a great mental trauma with guilt. After 6 years she conceived but the pregnancy had been terminated as it was a case of intra uterine growth retardation. There was a H/O uterine polyp (9mm x 8mm) afew years back.
Present complaint– Sense of collapse, low energy after waking in the morning and weakness during coition, cough after coition. She felt she lost spontaneity. She believes that due to this cough the sperm is expelled and she cannot retain it. Unsatisfied. Irresolution. Fastidious. Lots of anxiety. Worried about her husband’s health.
She wants a child and career. She is a homeopath, opened a new clinic recently and wants to prove herself in work and at home. To show her importance she wants to do some different work. She is always under pressure of performance. Wants goody boy image.
Fear that people will talk about her. There is lack of initiative. Feelings of jealousy and competition. When her husband’s sister delivered a child, she felt jealous.
When the second pregnancy was terminated due to IUGR, she felt that she was punished as she induced abortion a few years back.
Menses irregular; once in 3-4 months. Sadness and irritability before menses.
Dreams- Sexual act, young girls and female organs. Snakes.
As a child she was always dominated and offended by her mother. Her mother used to neglect her; she never guided her about beauty maintenance, hormonal changes at puberty or about sex. Father was alcoholic. Both the parents were busy in fighting and brooding.
She was a silent and introverted but jealous child. She could never share her feelings/fears with her mother. There was a delusion that an alien will come and see her womb; she will never be a mother.
Prescription- 9th January 2020: Aurum muriaticum natronatum 200 -one dose.
By 24th January she wrote me- ‘I have my menses today and for the first time in my life I experienced a big thumb size clot which looked like liver. It came out from my vagina. Surprisingly no pain during menses and there were no ulcers in my mouth which I used to get before menses every month.’
What is this case about?
Before I began to look at rubrics, I wanted to have a deep understanding of the case.
-As a child she had always been dominated and offended by her mother.
-Father was alcoholic.
-She was a silent and introverted but jealous child.
-There was a delusion that an alien will come and see her womb; she will never be a mother.
–starving for love and caring that she did not experience.
- She grows up never leaving the child-like state of an infant needing love and nourishment from her mother.
- She carries a constant feeling of failure and self-reproach.
- She wants her own child as soon as possible .( compensation mechanism)
- She is always under the pressure of performance to prove her importance.
- She never got love and caring from mother. There is seeking for good relations. The long term domination by her mother made her punctual insecure and introverted. There is sense of guilt as she aborted a child twice. The whole theme of the case, her dreams and her thought process revolves around uterus, the organ of motherhood.
- In analyzing the totality, we look at the etiology, pathology, traumas, dreams, delusions, generals, etc. The patient’s exact language and keywords are an outer expression of the inner state of the vital force.
She described sense of collapse, low spontaneity, weakness of mind and body, mental trauma after induced abortion and harsh behaviour of her mother since childhood which made her introverted.
- ESSENCE OF THE CASE
- The pressure of performance,
- Seeking of family love
- Guilt and sense of being unfulfilled
- Crazy for motherhood/ desire for child
- Image consciousness
- Miasm- Psora / Syphilis
I needed a remedy that would cover her mental plane, provide her physical and emotional strength, consider her psora/ syphilitic background and it must act on the uterus.
Aurum muriaticum natronatum has the fastidiousness of aurum; weakness and desire for harmony in relations of Muriaticum; introvertedness of Natrum.
Chemically after splitting aurum mur natronatum we get hydrochloric acid i.e. Muriatic acid, which has a tremendous fear of failure and anxiety about death or disease of mother or family.
This remedy is about the splitting up of relationships or the desperate need to hold onto relationships, especially the relationship of mother and child.
I prescribed this remedy as there was H/O of long term parental control and irresolution.
IUGR and her dreams of perverted sex show the syphilitic background as well as guilt that God punished her by giving IUGR in second pregnancy as she aborted the first child. To overcome the guilt of abortion and to overcome the fear of not being a mother, to satisfy her need for fulfilment she wants a child.
Diagnosis As Per Homeopathic Approach -Abandoned Child Syndrome
- An absent parent is often viewed as someone who has appeared to abandon their child. They may not live with the child or make an effort to see or bond with their child for several months or years.
- If children do not receive normal love and care, they cannot develop this close bond. This may result in a condition called attachment disorder. It usually happens to babies and children who have been neglected or abused, or who are in care or separated from their parents for some reason.
To confirm the remedy from Materia Medica, I looked into the following rubrics.
Natrum Mur and Aurum met came up.
Aurum mur Natronatum is at 22nd position. When I combined these 3 symptoms, Aurum Mur Natronatum stood on 7th position.
To confirm the remedy from Organon, I restricted my search to miasms in Radar Software. In the following chart the 7th number is Tubercular miasm which ultimately is a combo of psora- syphilis.
For final confirmation, I again looked into Repertory and found Aurum Mur Natronatum is the only remedy when there are ailments after death of the mother. In this case there was a feeling of constant absence of mother, though she was there feasibly but her existence for the patient was zero.
Later on in the course of treatment, I prescribed Sepia (March 2020) as per the need of symptoms and Lac Humanum in June 2020 as a sarcode and matridonal remedy; which balances the state of organs and help them to function properly. Sepia, like other sea remedies, is a strongly family-oriented person.
Sepia respects her femininity a lot! It is the best remedy for hormonal imbalance.
After Sepia, she wrote: ‘My menses became regular, painless. They appeared at 16th march, 12th April and 8th May. I feel energetic in the morning; waking up without alarm, Anxiety less, mentally stable. I can organize my work.’
WHY LAC HUMANUM?
- Competitive, Intelligent.
- Wants to do important work
- Lonely, rejected, empty feeling.
- Family oriented
- Seeking power to control herself along with repentance.
- Irritability, lack of initiative.
- Feeling of being seen. Being neglected.
- Need for appreciation.
- Relationship is important.
- Strong maternal instinct-because mother provides nourishment through breast milk, guides and nurtures the child up to a certain age. She wrote after Lac Humanum at 23rd July 2020:
‘I feel more energetic; I am more connected to my feelings and emotions. I want to put my hand on my chest and it is very soothing to touch my body and my breasts. I am more direct about what I want! Menses appeared on 5th June and 4th July. I have no grudges against my mother. It was my destiny!’
Her menstrual cycle became regular and painless.
Hormones balanced. Anxiety reduced. Feels fulfilled, happy and organised at work. There is acceptance of reality and development of patience. Soon she will defenately concieve as she is not barren.
Every remedy needs confirmation from Materia Medica, Organon, Repertory and Clinical experience. Prescription of this remedy may transform a life.