I separately repertorised for her general issues (stress, digestive and palpitations) and for the sleep. For the digestive problems, I took into account that this could be a possible effect of the antibiotics (and Arsenicum scores high for this). For sleep, the now obvious cause was the separation. I complemented my rubrics’ search with Anna’s description of her main symptoms and sensations.
– Kali Ars 9C, 8 drops a day in one litre of water.
(Arsenicum may have been higher but I preferred Kali Ars as it comes very high for heart palpitations)
– Probiotics and Multivitamins, 1 a day – I gave this mainly as I was concerned about poor absorption. It was not repeated afterwards.
– Natrum Muriaticum 200C before sleep and if waking up, every fifteen minutes as needed.
Because of Anna’s travel schedules and the fact that I felt confident about having found the right remedy, I suggested we meet in a month.
However, after a couple of weeks, she emailed me to say that the remedies had worked very well for a week but that she could not sleep again. She was then in France and I thought of asking her to go to a chemist and get a higher potency of Nat Mur. I instead suggested a Skype consultation. She then explained that she had been trying to make up or become friends with her ex-partner/colleague (who was based in Cambridge), and that he had been blaming her a lot, and she had felt really hurt and angry with him. I did not have to ask many questions as Anna, at this stage, felt the need to talk. She mentioned that she always had difficulty going into a relationship and feared getting stuck like her mother. She explained a lot about her family background, having a dad who was aggressive, especially towards her mother. She was scared of her dad until he died (when she was 17) and earlier on in her life, she feared that her parents would divorce.
On the initial prescription the heart palpitations and the stressed tummy had improved. However, at night she could really feel her heart bouncing, much more than ever before.
I asked her to continue the daily treatment but to complement with this:
– Sleep: try instead, or as well Staphisagria 200C. Take Staphisagria also if she feels abused during the day.
– Arsenicum 10M: if getting very anxious at night.
– Ignatia 10M: when feeling sad and to help with the separation.
For acute conditions, as they can be quite changing and have different triggers, I personally have no problem with giving a set of remedies that can be used by the patient. I feel that the clients are more supported in that way.
Through the Skype conversation we also realised that when Anna was travelling, she would work late at night in her hotel room, and mentioned that this was probably not helping her to sleep. She would also get stressed as she had to perform a busy day of work the day after.
3rd, 4th and 5th Consultations
We kept the previous appointment so I met again Anna about 3 weeks ago. The relationship issue was now starting to heal. The sleep had improved but was not great. She could sleep most nights but could see that work issues or her wounded self could disturb it easily. The acute remedies were helping.
She understood at this stage that she had to do more work on herself, and get support. These consultations were still primarily about her sleep issue. It took about another 6 weeks for the sleep to settle, and the main sleep triggers were then quite clear:
– excessive response to jet-lag when travelling to Asia
– working late and not having time for herself when being abroad
– the separation and unexpressed anger towards men – her ex-partner, her boss and her deceased father in particular
At these consultations, the daily chronic treatment was 9 drops of Natrum Muriaticum in LM, going one potency up each time. This was to be put in a bottle of water of one litre and drunk throughout the day. Beside using strategies to help with the jetlag and working late, Anna was helped by the previous therapeutics, and also Arsenicum and Melatonin.
I saw her for about one more year. From the 6th consultation, the sleep was not a major issue. Anna did suffer sometimes from a couple of bad nights, but she would recover well afterwards with the help of the therapeutics. She could get a full night sleep and feel refreshed from it.
The core issue for Anna was about male figures, and learning to stand her ground. It was in some ways about healing her early relationship with her father. Beside Natrum Muriaticum in LM, Anna also benefited from the other remedies in her chronic support. These were Staphisagria, Arsenicum, Lycopodium, Pulsatilla and Sepia. Kali Carbonicum was the main remedy at the end of our work.
During one course of chronic treatment, I felt compelled to give her a tautopathic prescription for the drugs, she took for sleep when she was at University. This was complemented with Avena Sativa tincture and Passiflora in low potency, to re-nourish the nervous system.
In the middle of the treatment, I removed the Natrum Muriaticum, feeling that Anna had moved on. However, she felt quite depressed afterwards. The primary cause was that she felt she did not know how to get into the “right romantic relationship”. This is when Pulsatilla came very highest in the repertorisation. I however, kept her on Natrum Muriaticum in parallel for a bit longer.
Anna also got in touch with her ex-colleague as she felt that they needed to spend time together. Anna did not want to get in a romantic relationship with her colleague and but kept him as a colleague-friend. She did not mention any other relationships.
At the end of the treatment, the sleep issue had basically gone, and we were working on deepening her self-confidence. She had decided to look for another job, something that was in her mind quite early in our work. At the end, she moved back to her home country and retrained as a garden designer. This is when I lost track of her, but it looked like all was well.
A Short Therapeutic
The list of homeopathic remedies for sleep issues could be endless. Here is a very short selection of useful remedies. However, as pointed before, I would always repertorise and get a significant number of symptoms on the sleep issue itself. I would also always refrain from prescribing before seeing and knowing a client.
• Aconite: Sleeplessness after 12AM with anxiety, restlessness and tossing about from arterial excitement; eyes closed by fear, fright, anxiety, anxious, vivid dreams; sleeplessness from nervous fear and cannot sleep, or from local irritation especially in intestinal tract; sleeplessness of infants and of the aged.
• Arnica: Kept awake until 2-3 AM by heat, restlessness and constant desire to change position, > lying across bed, head hanging down; wavelike motions passing through brain; excruciating pains in brain and eyes, which feel as if drawn inward.
• Arsenicum: Insomnia from malnutrition, with nervous exhaustion, internal anguish driving out of bed, feels compelled to change from bed to sofa or chair, and then back to bed; cannot rest in any place, changes continually, which exhausts them.
• Avena sativa: Chronic insomnia, < convalescence. Sleeplessness after mental exertion. Insomnia, exhaustion aggravates.
• Chamomilla: Sleeplessness from nervousness, local irritations or indigestible things in stomach and intestines; during dentition; from hepatic disease; great restlessness; moaning, starting and tossing about; talking in sleep; irritable and peevish.
• Colocynthis: Sleeplessness and restlessness after anger; sleeps badly, wakes tired.
• Calc Carb: lies awake night after night; visions on closing eyes, restlessness without accomplishing anything. Feels weak; sleeplessness from mind over-activity. Same ideas disturb him; fidgets in arms and legs; insomnia during dentition.
• Coffea: Sleeplessness from overexcitement of mind and body, from joy or agreeable surprise, from long watching, from excessive use of coffee; all senses more acute; persistent insomnia of children, without cause.
• Crot. hor: Insomnia, as soon as dozes off, dreams of dead persons; sleeplessness from nervous and mental distress, connected with physical suffering, but out of all proportion to suffering; chronic insomnia.
• Ferrum met: Insomnia from tea; in pneumonia; anxious tossing in bed after 12AM; can lie only on back at night; remitting pains; < night, driving one out of bed,> motion; child cannot sleep on account of itching from worms; weak nervous persons.
• Gelsemium: Insomnia from nervous irritation arising from bad/exciting news; from fright or anticipation of unusual ordeal.
• Ignatia: Sleeplessness from grief, flight, from suppressed mental suffering; in children after punishment, during dentition. Wake up with piercing cries & trembling all over; from hysteria; dreams of one subject the whole night through.
• Melatonin: in older people or people who may have low levels of melatonin, effects of doing night shifts and cannot get back in to a regular sleep pattern. Jet lag.