To apply homeopathy successfully, practicing homeopaths should be well grounded in the underlying theoretical approaches of homeopathy. The study of all this knowledge is absolutely essential to homeopaths because a thorough knowledge of the principles of homeopathy results in better evaluation of cases and thus in better clinical results. – Prof George Vithoulkas
Presenting Complaint: A 43 year old, single male complained of mild epileptic fits that had gone on for more than 20 years. Suddenly he freezes, his eyes roll up, he blinks. Even when he is standing or going upstairs he freezes in place. His family fears he will fall down but that never happened. There occurs a brief lapse in attention which is recurrent and becomes very frequent when he is stressed, irritable, not sleeping or hungry. By staying awake at night the seizures become more frequent, about 20 seizures within 15’. When he is resting and doing nothing, there are no seizures. There are involuntary movements of the head.
- 15 years ago he had 2 severe epileptic fits with convulsions.
- 1992 his mother died at age 46 years from cardiac arrest. He exhibited no reaction, didn’t cry and was just sad. His sister said he doesn’t know how to express his emotions.
In 2003 his father was in a coma and when he touched his father’s hand, the father came out of the coma. According to his sister he cried only twice, the first time in 2009 when his father died – silent crying. The second time was in May 2015 when his Grand-Mother died at age 90. His crying was like sobbing and sighing; he was very sad to not see his grand-mother again.
- He is a slow learner, and doesn’t know how to calculate, which is why he joined his father in the minimarket at the age of 12.
- Fear of dogs but sometimes he can come near them; fear of crowded places intensity 7/10.
- >> listening to music
- Desires consolation a lot. Very Sociable and loved by everyone. Desires company.
- When he is very irritable he starts shouting, screaming and throwing things.
- Hypersalivation, but since five years ago it is getting less. His sister said that when he fixed his teeth, the hypersalivation decreased.
- Sweats a lot and it use to be very offensive. Mostly sweats on his chest and head, and his sister said he is not aware when he sweats, for example in winter he does not remove his jacket in a warm room.
- Dependent on his sister
- Worse in hot weather but desires warm weather. He is a chilly person.
- When his sleeping is interrupted the frequency of seizures increases.
- 10 years ago diagnosed Arthritic Calcification in both hips. But his pain is persistent on his right hip with backache.
- He had high fever – 39 -40 degrees 5 months ago and was diagnosed with rheumatism and started taking the medication-Salazopyrin.
- Desires sweets and sugars, intensity 10/10; desires orange and clementine fruits, intensity 8/10. He eats everything, ravenous appetite. Desires salt, intensity 7/10 but now stopped adding salt to food because he has high blood pressure and is taking medication for the last 2 years.
♦Personal Medical History
Taking the following medications:
- Tegretol, 3 tablets/day, started taking them 20 years ago
- Rivotril, half tablet/day, started taking it 5 years ago – helps him to sleep.
- Keppra, 6 tablets/day
- Lamictal, 3 tablets/day
- Salazopyrin 500mg for the Rheumatism, 4 tablets/day-2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Started taking it 5 months ago.
- Nebilet 5mg, for the blood pressure, half tablet/day, started taking it 2 years ago
- Magne B6, 1 tablet/day
- Orocal-Vit D3, 1 tablet/day
- In May 6th 2015 diagnosed with a ligament tear on his right shoulder and had surgery. After the surgery he had a swollen ankle and knee, right side, and it was very painful. He was hospitalized and given cortisone for 3 months. Since then his right hand trembles mildly.
♦Family Medical History
His father and mother are close cousins, and the family did a genetic examination and revealed deficiency in GA3. Even paternal grandparents are cousins from the mother’s side.
- Mother died in 1992 at age 46, cardiac arrest
- Father died in 2009 at age 75, – obstructed lungs.
- History of cancer, breast cancer (aunt), colon cancer (uncle)
- Diabetic history – his uncle
- Cardiac history – 3 uncles from the mother’s side and one uncle from the father’s side, all of them having open heart surgery.
- His eldest sister has scoliosis, kyphosis and rheumatism
- 2nd sister hypothyroidism
- His brother – high blood pressure and high cholesterol
1-The depth of the disturbance
The main complaint in this case belongs to the deepest area of the physical plane, the nervous system and concerns an incurable disease.
The organism does not have the energy or the ability to maintain the disease on a peripheral area and therefore admits the disturbance to a deeper systemic level. Levels of Health, G.V.
The was patient born with a weak predisposition and has been taking a lot of medications since he was young. His level of health is on level C lower part and level D upper part.
Infrequent acutes in a deep chronic disease developed because of the general lowered state of health and the deficiency of the defense mechanism.
In conclusion we have a bad prognosis because of:
- Nature of the disease which deep-seated on the physical plane, the nervous system
- Genetic weakness of the organism.
- Additional possible causal factors: the allopathic drugs may have suppressed the immune system and changed the symptom pattern.
Allopathic drugs have a disturbing influence on the organism, blocking the energy complex of the patient so that the defense mechanism has to compromise and the hereditary predisposition to chronic diseases can develop more easily. Levels of Health, G.V.
♦Repertorisation-Using Vithoulkas Compass
♦Choice of the remedy
The choice of his remedy based on the very high intensity of craving for sugars.
Arg-n is the remedy of choice because craving for sugars is its characteristic and also Arg-n known for the treatment of neurological complaints.
The choice of potency is based on:
1-The center of gravity of the symptoms is on mental level.
2-From the family history the patient has a weak predisposition.
3-Degree of freedom of expression is limited.
4-For more than 20 years taking strong medicines.
The deeper the center of gravity, the worse the prognosis.
People who have limited their horizons, who have purposely protected themselves from stress, or who isolate themselves from relationships with other people, such people carry relatively less favorable prognosis…….
Patients with a history of deep and serious diseases, or who have had a great deal of suppression therapy are more likely to encounter problems on the way to cure……….
The Science of Homeopathy, G.V.
We start with 9Ch 3 doses / day and raise each 15 days one potency to avoid severe aggravations.
The patient was instructed to stop drinking coffee.
♦Evaluation of the first follow-up On March 26th 2016
Started taking the remedy on November 2015. The first impact was that his sleeping got better, and the epileptic fits are milder, less frequent and less in duration.
- In January we find absence of the epileptic fits for 2 weeks. Middle of January the epileptic fits start to reappear gradually until at the end of March we have a relapse. He reached the potency 13C. I investigated and knew he was taking coffee drops instead of drinking coffee.
- His Blood pressure increased to 16/10, his sister raised the dose of blood pressure medication to double.
- He started to go out and become more social.
- His irritability is less than before even when he is stressed.
- His right hand trembling disappeared.
- Movement of his head is milder than before.
- In February 2016 his sister started to decrease the Rivotril gradually- decreased to half dose.
- Generally he is improved 30 %.
In conclusion, the patient after taking the remedy felt generally better, and there was an immediate amelioration without initial aggravation. This confirms that he belongs to the levels of health between 7-11.
We can see amelioration without initial aggravation in the highest and the lowest levels of health. Levels of Health, G.V.
The dose 13C will be repeated because it was antidoted by the coffee drops and wait for the next evaluation.
1-The Science of Homeopathy by Prof George Vithoulkas, 6th edition 2012.
2-Levels of Health, Prof George Vithoulkas and Erik Van Woensel, 1st edition 2010.