Female patient, 45 years old, came to see me in October 2008, on recommendation of another patient. The presenting complaint was depression; she had been on antidepressants for the past eight years. The depression was currently fuelled by the breakup of a relationship and the sudden death of her dad three months back.
The mental symptoms the patient presented were:
â€¢ Low self esteem
â€¢ Feeling to be a victim
â€¢ Feeling alone, lonely
â€¢ Grief, due to the sudden death of her dad
â€¢ Lack of help from others, but doesn’t ask for it anymore
â€¢ Lack of trust; has been let down often; has been cheated on
â€¢ Desire to cry and send people away
â€¢ Desires comforting
â€¢ Anxiety, panic attacks, dread – as if she had done something wrong; cannot relax
â€¢ Doesn’t see anything nice about herself
â€¢ Anxiety of not having control
â€¢ Fear of failure
â€¢ Dreams of punching people
â€¢ Short term memory weak < alcohol
â€¢ Dreams and reality are not distinguishable at times – scary
â€¢ Severe lack of sleep; cannot sleep without sleeping pills during day or night; wakes 3.30 am. Has taken sleeping pills for last five months. Wakes exhausted.
â€¢ Warm person
â€¢ Poor appetite and thirstless
â€¢ Observation: exaggerates (never/ always/ …)
â€¢ > wet cold weather
â€¢ > open air
â€¢ > movement
â€¢ < 2 to 4 am
â€¢ Desires spring
â€¢ Desires cooking and eating
â€¢ Desires salami and cheese
â€¢ Desires red wine – high alcohol consumption
â€¢ Bread upsets (gets bloated)
â€¢ Aversion being late
â€¢ Aversion hot weather
â€¢ Aversion wind
â€¢ Aversion noise
â€¢ Aversion crowds
â€¢ Clenches/ grinds teeth
â€¢ Saw psychologist twice, but is not convinced about him
Physicals – Top to toe
â€¢ Tension headaches, occipital; sensation of constant stabbing from blade of knife from inside out. Intensity is sometimes ten on scale of ten and causes vomiting
â€¢ Hearing of voices difficult
â€¢ Vomiting < strong anxiety < strong pain
â€¢ History of chronic tonsillitis; tonsils were removed when she was 19y of age.
â€¢ Under active thyroid – takes thyroxine
â€¢ History of bronchitis
â€¢ History of kidney problems; too much protein in urine
â€¢ Thrush often through her life, excoriating < hard intercourse, > contraceptive implant for four years now
â€¢ 17y old: constant leucorrhoea, was stopped through surgery
â€¢ High blood pressure – is on beta-blockers
â€¢ Bruises easily
â€¢ Hay fever < last four years
RUBRICS CHOSEN (RADAR)
MIND – CONFIDENCE – want of self-confidence (194)
MIND – DELUSIONS – wrong – done wrong; he has (45)
GENERALS – COLD – amel. (116)
STOMACH – APPETITE – wanting (348)
STOMACH – THIRSTLESS (189)
GENERALS – PAIN – Internally – cutting pain (160)
FEMALE GENITALIA/SEX – LEUKORRHEA – copious (150)
|YELLOW (psora)||RED (sycosis)||BLUE (syphilis)|
This patient needs a blue (syphilitic) remedy
The repertorisation brings up the following remedies
Puls, Sil, Lyc, Sul, Ars, Merc, Aur, Cocc, Alum, Lach
Merc, Aur and Cocc are blue remedies – Cocc was chosen because it read best in the materia medicas.
REMEDY AND DOSE
5-NOV-08 Cocculus 30, single dose; observe for three days. If OK, take daily thereafter. Recommended no consumption of coffee.
FOLLOW UP 27-NOV-08
Follow up three weeks after remedy was prescribed:
Took Cocculus 30C as instructed; takes dose right when she wakes up.
– Haven’t been angry at all – noticed difference after the initial dose
– A lot calmer; things don’t bother her as much anymore
– Doesn’t get upset or anxious
– Has been able to get two hours sleep a day – in the afternoon – without sleeping pill
– Still takes sleeping pill at night; wakes at 4am now.
– For the first time in 30 years she read a book for leisure
– Went to see new psychologist; very happy with her
– Appetite normal; probably eat more then I should. Dieted for 7 days: fruit, veg, no alcohol
– Don’t feel I need the red wine anymore; cut down to two glasses a night (from a bottle most nights)
– Hasn’t had tension headache since initial consultation
– Bruise a bit less easily
– No longer resentful
– Have been a lot more assertive
– Aloneness has not been a problem
– I do what can be done to have as much control as possible
– I am handling things so much better
– More positive and initiative
– Haven’t had any problems to distinguish dreams from reality
– Vomiting hasn’t occurred; both known triggers are no longer existent.
Complaints still present:
Acute hearing except for voices
Prescription: Cocculus 30 once daily. Keep fluid levels up and alcohol level down.
FOLLOW UP 23-DEC-08
– Has seen her GP since last consultation, who advised to halve the dosage of Beta blockers and antidepressant.
(Blood pressure (medicated) now 109/79; was 153/111 in September 08.)
– Feels so much calmer; things don’t upset anymore
– Takes everything in her stride
– Things she doesn’t have control over, she lets go and doesn’t get anxious anymore.
– Has cleaned up relationships “so they are done and dusted and the old stuff can be put away”.
– People apologised to her about their behaviour.
– “Self esteem is increasing slowly”. – comment from patient
– Doesn’t feel as needy for help anymore.
– Hasn’t felt lonely at all
– She now sees nice things about herself
– Feels pretty in control in the moment
– 1 to 2 glasses of wine per day; there are two alcohol free days a week.
– Every now and then she wakes at 4.30am, but now can go back to sleep. Still takes sleeping pill at night.
– No headaches other than from dehydration.
– No hearing difficulty
Complaints still present:
â€¢ Appetite not very good; hasn’t been eating fruit or veg
Prescription: Cocculus 30 every second day.
6-JAN-09 Patient contacts me asking if dose could be taken daily again as some symptoms start to return.
Prescription: Cocculus 30 once daily.
RogÃ©r Walti, Homeopath
Ad Dip Hom Med, Prof Memb AHA, AROH regd
Health Unlimited, Geelong, Australia.