A liver abscess is defined as a pus-filled mass in the liver that can develop from injury to the liver or from an intra-abdominal infection disseminated from the portal vein.
The majority of these abscesses are categorized as pyogenic or amoebic, although a minority are caused by parasites and fungi. Although the incidence of liver abscess is low, it essential to detect it early since there is a significant mortality risk in untreated patients.
Before we treat any disease, we need to understand the homeopathic approach.
The homeopathic aspect is to understand the root cause of the disease, which according to Dr Hahnemann is:
- Fundamental cause
- Exciting cause
- Maintaining cause.
ORGANON APHORISM §5
- Useful to the physician in assisting him to cure are the particulars of the most probable EXCITING CAUSEof the acute disease, as also the most significant points in the whole history of the chronic disease, to enable him to discover its FUNDAMENTAL CAUSE, which is generally due to a chronic miasm. In these investigations, the ascertainable physical constitution of the patient (especially when the disease is chronic), his moral and intellectual character, his occupation, mode of living and habits, his social and domestic relations, his age, sexual function, etc., are to be taken into consideration.
ORGANON APHORISM §7
- Now, as in a disease, from which no manifest exciting or maintaining cause(CAUSA OCCASIONALIS) has to be removed, ( 3 ) we can perceive nothing but the morbid symptoms, it must (regard being had to the possibility of a miasm, and attention paid to the accessory circumstances, §5) be the symptoms alone by which the disease demands and points to the remedy suited to relieve it— and, moreover, the totality of these its symptoms, OF THIS OUTWARDLY REFLECTED PICTURE OF THE INTERNAL ESSENCE OF THE DISEASE, THAT IS, OF THE AFFECTION OF THE VITAL FORCE, must be the principal, or the sole means, whereby the disease can make known what remedy it requires—the only thing that can determine the choice of the most appropriate remedy—and thus, in a word, the totality ( 4 ) of the symptoms must be the principal, indeed the only thing the physician has to take note of in every case of disease and to REMOVE by means of his art, in order that the disease shall be cured and transformed into health.
ORGANON APHORISM §211
- This holds good to such an extent, that the state of the disposition of the patient often chiefly determines the selection of the homeopathic remedy, as being a decidedly characteristic symptom which can least of all remain concealed from the accurately observing physician.
Case of a Liver Abscess
- Patient presented with left hypochondriac region.
- Patient had extreme weakness. < walking – has to walk holding onto someone or something.
- Has swelling all over body
- Has complaint of vague back pain and vertigo with no specific modality
Ultra sonography before Treatment:
30 Sep 2020
A well defined Hetrogenous abscess measuring 4.7*4.4*3.2 cm
volume: 35cc in right lobe of liver
- Menstrual history: menopause
- Past History: DM- 35 yrs angioplasty: 66 yrs
- Patient was advised surgery
- The patient was unwilling to undergo the procedure and opted for homeopathy.
- Patient is not offering much mental and emotional symptoms, is holding things back.
- She has been forgetting thing to do things, or where she has placed things.
- She says she feel anxious and fearful when alone.
- She feels there are strangers/ robbers at home when alone.
- She stays alone at home, has a daughter who is married now and stays in here colony.
- She still she does not accept her health situation.
- Her son expired in an accident 25 years ago and husband also died 20 years ago.
- She has seen extreme poverty. They were very poor, and many times she did not get regular meals.
- She used to eat food from the trash. Her father died when she was 16 years old.
- She started working as a maid. Worked very hard, helped her sibling and ran her family. Worked day and night.
- She never got anyone’s help.
- She has fought with life, in all extreme situation, all alone, with no complaints.
- Never complained anyone, and now she is blaming God
- Now, she has become irritable and does not like if anyone questions her or makes any communication with her.
- She is all alone, not showing interest or involvement in any happiness or grief.
- Appetite: Decreased, sometimes feels nausea
- Desire: Sweets, Mutton
- Aversion; Sour, Curd
- Thirst: thirstless
- Bowel/ urination – occasional constipation
- Perspiration: sudden, has to sit under a fan
- Sleep: NAD
- Dream: nothing specific
- Thermally: Hot
(Observations made in a case hold a very strong value.)
- Whenever I am asking her question, she is smiling and saying that all is joke.
- She did not weep during the whole consultation, nor discuss her life space. (I got that information from her daughter.
- She looked very exhausted, fatigued.
Analysis and Evaluation:
SENSITIVE OR Ailments from:
- Death of loved ones
- Repeated prolonged struggle and unhappiness
- Weakness of memory
- No reaction of happiness or sadness
- Liver Pathology
- Introvert/ withdrawn
- Looks very tired and exhausted
- Angry outbursts
Converted Into Repertorial Language:
First Prescription: 30 Sep 2020
Patient was given the remedy Anthracinum 200 c – one dose
- Patient was called for the follow up every 30 days.
- Ultra Sonography was done after 5 months
- After the treatment, there was gradual improvement seen in physical levels as well as emotional levels. The dose was not repeated in the 5 months
09 Feb 2021:
USG – liver is normal in size, normal ecotexture
Anthracinum is the pus from the anthrax, a malignant boil.:
The alcoholic extract of the anthrax poison prepared from the spleen of cattle ill with the disease.
Abscess + Rapid Decomposing+ Offensiveness + Black+ Burning
- Terrible Burning
- Rapid Decomposition
- Tendency to ulceration
- Abscess formation
- Hemorrhage – thick like TAR, bleed don’t coagulate, rotten, clot
From any wound if :
- Fetid pus is coming out,
- There is burning and
- Tendency to Gangrene
- If the patient feels better by pouring HOT water on it
These are the main symptoms of this medicine.:
- We have swellings on all parts of the body, and one of the most characteristic conditions is the colour of them. they are bluish, verging into black (lach., tarant-c.)
Prof. Vithoulkas beautifully explains the remedy’s emotional etiology:
Emotional abscess –It’s formed out of a very painful experiences of life.
Center of gravity is grief:
- Deeply Hidden
- Difficult to talk about
- Death of loved ones
- Repressed Grief
- Doesn’t remember or bother to talk about it
- Does not realize the suffering
- Doesn’t explore emotions
Anthracinum can produce deep p athology:
- Non-healing ulcers
- Carbuncles, abscess
Aph 90 and F.N 85
- When the physician has finished writing down these particulars, he then makes a note of what he himself observes in the patient, (1) and ascertains how much of that was peculiar to the patient in his healthy state.
So, Whenever you get a case, ask yourself:
- Why did she fall sick….
- Where is she stuck in her life….
- What are her core issues in life….
- What is her inner response/ reaction to the issue….
- What and why is she holding inside
- Search for the individual in the case.
Where do we see these responses:
Leave a Comment