Name: Miss. X
Age: 19 years
Marital Status: Unmarried
December 2019: A 19-year-old female patient reported with multiple corns on right sole since 5 months. The one corn which was in the middle of the sole was around 2 cm in diameter. Beside that there were multiple corns scattered on the sole in different places. The corns were painful from pressure and while walking.
HISTORY OF PRESENTING ILLNESS:
The corns started 5 months back as a minute eruption in middle of right sole and gradually progressed. The other corns also appeared meanwhile. As such, there was no specific cause but a probable cause was wearing tight shoes for 2 days before appearance of corns.
TREATMENT HISTORY: Applied corn caps but of not much use.
PAST HISTORY: No history of any significant illness.
FAMILY HISTORY: No significant family history present.
PERSONAL HISTORY: No addiction of any kind. Vegetarian.
Thermal reaction: Chilly patient
Aversion: Nothing significant
Stool: Constipated often. Stool hard, difficult to pass.
Urine: Regular, no associated complaint.
Perspiration: Profuse while working.
Sleep: Sound sleep
In the OPD the patient was answering all questions by herself. Her mother described the daughter as lazy and not very active. Since she is obese, if she is asked to exercise, she does not like to do it.
GENERAL PHYSICAL EXAMNATION:
Built and complexion: Obese and fair complexion
Pulse: 80 beats/minute
B.P. 130/80 mm Hg
Nails: No clubbing noticed
Medicine and potency selected: Calcarea Carbonica 200
BASIS OF PRESCRIPTION:
In this case the prescription was done on basis of “Keynote symptoms” of the case. The following symptoms of the case were taken into consideration:
- Obese and fat.
- Profuse perspiration.
- Lazy disposition. No desire to work
In Allen’s keynotes and Boericke’s material medica, in Calcarea Carbonica the following symptoms are found:
- Tendency to obesity. Disposed to grow fat. (Allen keynotes)
- Profuse perspiration. (Allen keynotes)
- (Allen keynotes)
- Sensitive to cold (chilly). (Boericke matera medica)
- Averse to work or exertion. ((Boericke matera medica)
- Desire sweets. (Boericke matera medica)
- Calcarea patient is fat, fair, flabby and perspiring and cold. (Boericke matera medica)
Considering these keynotes symptoms, the most appropriate remedy came out to be Calcarea Carbonica.
|Follow up||Remarks||Medicine prescribed|
|1st prescription (04/12/2019)||Calcarea Carbonica 200/3doses
Sac lac 30/tds/15 days
|2nd prescription (18/12/2019)||No specific change in size of corn. Pain slight reduced.||Sac lac 30/tds/15 days|
|3rd prescription (23/12/2019)||No further improvement.||Calcarea carbonica 1M/2dose
Sac Lac 30/tds/15 days
(As no further improvement, same medicine is given in higher potency).
|4th prescription (15/1/2020)||The corn is looking smaller in size. No pain now.||Sac lac 30/tds/15 days|
|5th prescription (07/02/2020)||The smaller corns are gone. The bigger corn still there but looking better.||Sac Lac 30/tds/15 days|
|6th prescription (14/2/2020)||Status same.||Calcarea carbonica 1M/1dose repeated. Followed by
Sac Lac 30/tds/15 days
|7th prescription (29/12/2020)||Much improvement.||Sac Lac 30/tds/15 days|
|8th prescription (06/03/2020)||Corn is completely gone.||Sac Lac 30/tds/15 days|
|9th prescription (27/03/2020)||No corn is there.||No medicine prescribed.|
Conclusion: In this case the correct medicine was selected based upon the keynotes. The higher potency (200C) was selected in this case in 1st prescription. As stated by Dr. Stuart Close in The Genius of Homoeopathy, Chapter XIII, Homoeopathic Posology:
“The more similar the remedy, the more clearly and positively the symptoms of the patient take on the peculiar and characteristic form of the remedy, the greater the susceptibility to that remedy, and the higher the-potency required.”
- Allen H.C. Keynotes and Characteristics with comparison of some of leading remedies of the Material Medica with Bowel Nosodes. 8thedition (15th impression). New Delhi. B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd. 2016
- Boericke W. Pocket manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Indian Medicine and Repertory. 9thNew Delhi. Indian Book and Periodical publishers, 2002
- Close Stuart. The Genius Of Homoeopathy- Lectures and Essays on Homoeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi. Pratap Medical publishers Pvt Ltd