The pandemic of COVID-19 expands aggressively all over and the impact can also be seen through the daily increasing number of infected patients around us. All the medical services have been trying hard to overcome this mishap, but nobody has achieved the desirable outcome.
The natural and gentle way of homoeopathic healing helps the individual to recover his health without any side effects or harm. Homoeopathy can prove very helpful in a such pandemic crisis.
Confusion about Genus Epidemicus
Now we are going through a time, when different stalwarts are recommending different remedies, so there is a lot of confusion in all homoeopaths about the Genus epidemicus.
During the epidemic of scarlet fever, after treating numerous patients Dr. Samuel Hahnemann observed patients with similar clinical presentations. After analysing the symptoms, he found ‘Belladonna’ useful in curing those patients. According to Dr Hahnemann this remedy could not only cure those patients but could also be used as an effective prophylactic medicine. Thereafter he termed this the ‘Genus epidemicus’ in that epidemic situation.
The knowledge which is essential for enabling us to choose a most suitable homoeopathic remedy can only be obtained by a complete survey of the disease picture, not only of a single patient, but deducing it from a number of patients.
After a thoroughly individualized examination of each patient, only then can a homeopath, succeed in finding a suitable homoeopathic remedy. Thus, the Genus Epidemicus can only be identified after closely studying the symptom picture of the outbreak.
In the present scenario, the WHO has declared COVID-19 a pandemic disease.
Even though homoeopathy can treat and control such a viral outbreak, the homoeopathic fraternity is lacking in clinical trials for treating COVID-19.
(Specifically in India with very few confirmed cases.) So as of now we can’t declare any remedy as a Genus epidemicus.
How Homeopathy Can Help
As per the current available data on the manifestation of corona virus, we can give homoeopathic treatment and homeoprophylaxis for it.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are:
• Dry cough
• Shortness of breath
• Sore throat
• Body ache and pain
• Runny or stuffy nose
– Kidney Failure
The above symptoms and complications clearly tell us about the severity and acute emergency nature of the disease. So, we should select the remedy which covers the similar pathophysiological state of disease.
Treatment in Homeopathy
As per my experience considering the totality of COVID-19, the most probable remedy is Napthalinum 30. (Ref. Clarke’s Materia Medica) (Note: It is not a Genus epidemicus.)
- Acute High grade fever with coug.
• Respiration: labored and irregular
• Cough in incessant paroxysms almost arresting breath
• Night cough preventing sleep
• Cough with blue or purple face
• Expectoration: free, thick, tenacious, almost absent
• Cough in violent paroxysms compelling the patient to hold his head from the pain
• Fever: Sudden onset of fever
According to the principles of Homoeopathy, it works on maintaining the immunity of the individual, so it can be used as an effective prophylactic medicine.
Homoeopathic prophylaxis includes selection of an individualized remedy by considering the peculiar characters of a person. Some general characteristics which should not missed during remedy selection are:
Thermals, Thirst, Modalities, Sleep, Food aggr, Desires, Aversions
Some remedies which can be considered are:
Aconite, Antim.Tart, Arsenic, Ars. Iod, Belladonna, Bryonia, Camphora, Carb.Veg,coccus cacti, Chelidonium,Dulcamara, Drosera, Gelsemium, Hep.Sul, Kali.Bich, Kali.Carb, Mephitis, Merc group , Merc I.F., Nux Vom, Phos, Puls,Pyrogen, Rhus Tox, Rumex, Spongia, Stan.Met.
Selection of potency should depend upon these factors:
– Suitable for all age groups
– Works in all susceptibilities
– Does not provoke homoeopathic aggravation.
– Has the capacity to work on severe acute conditions.
So, considering these few things, as per our experience, the 30c potency, which is a medium potency, covers all possibilities. (Note: The remedy should be taken under the guidance and observation of a homoeopathic physician.)
Together we can and we will –
As there is no proper treatment for Covid-19, I request the WHO to extend their research include all modalities.
Homeopathy is a science and art, so there is the possibility of differences in remedy choices by different homoeopaths. But to conquer this worldwide crisis we as a fraternity need to come together. We must keep a record of our treatments with proper evidence. And we should discuss this, and take the opinion of other homeopaths about it, which will help us for further research to find a prophylaxis and treatments. Let the world know, Homoeopathy can be an effective treatment for such crisis.
It is regretful that the homeopaths and for that matter allopaths and administrators are focusing on treatment. The primary step in an epidemic or pandemic is prevention. Treatment must be secondary . This is not like just other diseases as it is rapidly spreading, The plus point is that the virus is short living and it cannot withstand heat and humidity. That may be the reason it is more severe in temperate climate countries and region (only an assumption)
Nobody is seen to thinking of slumps in Bombay and many other cities, where the close contact and the present hygiene measures suggested are highly impractical, and if the disease spreads there it will be a major catastrophe for our nation. The present control measures has developed a situation of panic and stress in people and this itself will cause hormonal imbalance and reduce the immunity they are already having.
Having said few things I may repeat that the present stress should be on prevention. Just like we are handling accidents, though we are treating the victims in so many sophisticated ways ,but the government is stressing to prevent the accidents. Every epidemic the approach should be like that. The Govt. Is sincerely and seriously trying to do that, but is fragmental and the result will never be as expected. The professional are not doing their responsibility especially the Homeopaths. The only system of medicine that can act fast and economically in such pandemic situation is HOMEOPATHY. I am not a homeopath, but a veterinarian having experience of more than 50 years in managing animals with homeopathy whenever modern medicine is found to be helpless as it is seen now. I do not understand why we depend so much on modern medicine which they themselves say they do not have immediate solution and they may develop vaccine/drugs in one or two years. By this time the disease may do all the harm that can be done. Still the silver line is that the present virus just many other pandemics of virus origin is short lived and will be fade way within 2 months or so.
The most discouraging thing that the homeopaths (they may be good practitioners/experts/teachers) are seen to be pessimists and not having any practical solid approach to suggest or are not interested thinking that it is not their work. In spite of having so many Associations in this field they are just watching the show, few are publishing articles if you go through it a common man will reach a conclusion that homeopathy is of not much help. The pity is many such remarks from experienced people, which has to be presumed as they are more experienced in clinical individual case than handling epidemics. But our master has not advised like that. Please do excuse me for these suggestions and consider it as something from an unqualified person and ignore. But it is very discouraging as I was having an experience of more than 50 years in homeopathy, especially with the active support of many Homeopaths and developed good faith in this science.
Considering these facts, I may be permitted to suggest that
1. The Homeopaths who have faith in the system should come forward to popularize this system,. Just as the common saying “Make Hay while Sun Shines” You may not get a better opportunity than this to prove your stuff. Make use of it.
2 .Do away with the negative approach–decide that you can find a solution for prevention. As homeopathy has got a vast latitude. Forget about the pneumonia or other complications which comes in the advanced cases. Focus on the early most common symptoms, the possible miasms, constititution ,the environment influence (as this virus is very sensitive to heat and humidity)
3. Forget your ego, forget your fragmentalism among yourself fot the cause of public and homeopathy.
4. The CCH/CCRH are both respected institution of homeopathy their suggestion has to be taken seriously and if you find any valid reason to object inform them and request to revise.
5 .The Govt, for that ministry of AYUSH can only depend on them and if homeopaths are supporting ,what will be the future of homeopathy. I am mentioning this particularly because the ministry of AYUSH more or less becoming Ayurveda. It is not the fault of Ayurveda ,but the inactiveness or lack of confidence of homeopath. Ayurveda and many other complementary systems are good and every system has got its own merits and limitations but in an epidemic there would not have fast action..
6. In all states the homeopaths should take up the issue as an urgent issue, and request the respective Governments to incorporate them at least in the prevention aspect, where modern medicine failed miserably. Treatment comes only later.
7. The association should designate few homeopaths that have experience and have a will to work and request the Govt. to visit the isolation and quarantine stations and suggest treatment.
8. Few years back the Government has suggested (DEC) and Albandazole to control Filariasis as single dose , the result of which I do not know. Whatever it may be it is a guidance that administration of the remedies as suggested by CCH?CCRH may be supplied to all individuals through out India, the cost is very limited. Monthly 3 days for 1 or 2 months in empty stomach by all classes of people from infant to old is not all an herculean task. (The method of distribution should be worked out)
9. Arrangements for availability and quality of remedy has to be find out by the Homeopaths as this is a situation where the scope of homeopathy will be recognized.
10. Let India shall be the first to incorporate the alternative system for the control of pandemics.
11. Let this be the beginning of a strong Homeopathic association at national level just like IMA
Excuse me for being the comment a lengthy one. Especially when it comes from a non homeopath.
Joint Director(AH) RETD. Kerala, Patron CHARIFABLE SOCIETY FOR HOLISTIC VETERINARY MEDICINE
PH: 09447062736— E mail: [email protected]
WHAT ABOUT OSCILLOCOCCINUM?
ROBIN’S HOMOEOPATHIC REMEDY GUIDE
SAYS IT IS FOR ‘ALL’ INFLUENZAS AND RECOMMENDED BY DR PIERRE SCHMIDT AS A ‘PREVENTIVE’ !
I FEEL OSCILLOCOCCINUM HAS MUCH POTENTIAL BUT HAS BEEN UNDER-RATED AND NEGLECTED.
I FIND OSCILLOCOCCINUM COVERS NOT ONLY THE TOTALITY OF ‘PRIMARY’ SYMPTOMS, BUT THE SECONDARIES AND THE ‘MENTAL PECULIAR’ OF FEAR -“FEAR OF NOT WANTING TO GIVE HAND FOR FEAR OF CONTAGION” – AND A CONTAGION IS WHAT WE HAVE TODAY!