Reprinted courtesy Allyson McQuinn from: https://arcanum.ca/
The term functional medicine is a bit of a catch phrase being championed by just about any unconventional practitioner. It is basically the recognition that since we’re dynamic, super-functioning spiritual beings we’d better have a system of medicine that can serve our very beingness on our very functional terms.
In contrast, conventional medicine is based on “dead science.” Dead blood cell counts, drugs and the dissection of cadavers which are after all, very dead. While, in Heilkunst, we use tools like live blood analysis, bioresonance feedback and dynamic medicine to address your ills.
Functional processes require a system of medicine that recognizes the living, spiritual qualities in you. Therapeutic tools need to respect the dysfunctional nature of your symptoms well before it even becomes a full-blown disease. Catching issues early before they show up on an x-ray or MRI takes a special kind of functional training not taught at traditional allopathic medical school.
For example Hypoglycemia or thyroid issues can be markers for Diabetes and Cancer, repeating UTI’s (Urinary Tract Infections), candida, migraines, high blood pressure and stiff joints can be indicating a familial predisposition for heart disease and stroke, also bronchitis bouts in the winter can be linked to the chronic disease roots of tuberculosis that was not addressed on the law of cure for your ancestors. Skin issues, arthritic complaints, lung issues and even mental issues, can be dealt with effectively through our functional approach to medicine.
While a GP or allopathic specialist will reach for a suppressive or palliative prescription, this is not functional medicine. The root cause still remains at large and it’s just a matter of time before the symptoms turn up the volume or find another related way to get you attention.
Medication was never designed to treat long-term chronic disease. Their matrix is designed for the jurisdiction of significant medical emergencies like trauma or an infection running rampant. Afterwards, be sure to detox on the law of similars, like cures like, from the drugs. Sadly, 125 million Americans try to use allopathic medicine to treat chronic diseases … an epic fail!
Functional medical principles in Heilkunst do a brilliant job handling allergic, hormonal, digestive, neurological and metabolic problems that most folks suffer from well before they become diseases diagnosed by an allopath. And yes, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, laid down the principles of so called “functional medicine” way before folks understood this concept fully.
Here’s 5 basic principles (paraphrased for easier understanding) that Dr. Hahnemann fully understood back in the early 1800’s:
- Once you remove the chronic disease, on the sound basis of like cures like without causing the individual harm, the living principle of the human being will restore basic functioning as was intended before the onset of the engenderment.
- Laws of nature are based on science and are wholly designed to address both physical ailments as well as mental emotional schisms. All diseases can be traced back to a thought or wrong belief.
- To treat the symptoms, you must fully apprehend the functional root causal relationship between psyche and soma. As Rudolf Steiner states, “As above, so below,” another dynamic, functional scientist.
- Your body is a dynamic, brilliant work of 5,000 regulating hormones and chemicals and thoughts too. The physician needs to know what principle will address what aspect of disease including regimen (law of opposites), medicine (law of similars) or Anthroposophic/Orgonomy (realm of beliefs/thwarted desires). For example, you may just need more water and less carbs to correct your anxiety and you need a trained, discerning functional physician who can help you to make the right call.
- Health is not just an absence of symptoms. It is a dynamic orchestration of feelings, functions and sensations. Dr. Hahnemann illustrated it thusly in his “Organon of the Medical Art” as, “Aphorism 9:
In the healthy human state, the spirit-like Living Power (autocracy) enlivening the material body (organism) as Dynamis holds sway unrestrictedly and keeps all of its parts in admirable, harmonious, vital operation in both feelings and functions, so that our indwelling rational spirit can freely avail itself of this living healthy instrument for the higher purposes of our existence.”
Caduceus Chart of Dynamic/Functional Medicine
© 2004 Steven Decker & Marla Wilson
Here lies the very definition and distinction of functional medicine. Instead of piling on more iatrogenic disease, deadening the symptoms through palliation or suppression, we ask why are you suffering in the first place? What story do your symptoms tell about your limited functioning? Once was have the true, fundamental diagnosis (literally through knowing), we know which jurisdiction and principles to apply in order to restore that function.
You will see quite quickly, in your process, that the allopathic labels don’t in fact represent a true diagnosis of the underlying cause. The thing is, that most of the time they don’t know, or even if they do, their tools are so toxic they often end up causing more harm than good (think Chemotherapy). It’s best to leave them to the important work of dealing with emergencies. Please read John Robbins book, “Reclaiming Our Health” for more on this.
If you’re ready for functional medicine, we’ve got over 200 years of effective working principles that have come to light in the last 30 years. Steven Decker and Rudi Verspoor put their headlamps on and scoured the annals of history to bring you this truly “Dynamic Legacy; From Homeopathy To Heilkunst.”