The seeds of violence and abuse arise from insecurities faced in day-to-day lives, in love, relationships and work , and from feelings of neglect and isolation. The current rise in living expenses, where the cost of living exceeds one’s total income, can make it increasingly difficult to handle emotional, physical and psychological demands. This can lead to feelings of grief, displeasure, guilt, inferiority, jealousy and anger, resulting in physical aggression. Common modes of survival in people in such situations are self-abuse, where the person harms him/herself intentionally or unintentionally (e.g. – eating disorders, substance abuse), and abuse of others (verbal/physical) whom he considers weaker or over whom he can maintain power and control.
Abuse and violence is a widespread problem which lies hidden within communities irrespective of class and race. It occurs behind closed doors and the most common victims are women, often because standards set by society restrict them from speaking out or seeking help. Women may fear the stigma to their families or humiliation and loss of reputation in society.
Homeopathy is a branch of medicine which considers the person as a whole, and takes account of the physical and psychological characteristics of the patient. It involves a detailed case history, which serves as ray of hope to both the patient- i.e., the one who is abused, as well as the offender. The patient has an opportunity to be heard and understood from her own perspective .
After careful case taking and analyzing the case, the homeopathic physician decides on the remedy which suits the patient’s needs. Other therapies like yoga, meditation, music therapy, dance therapy, hypnotherapy, anger management, and family therapy are available as adjuncts.
Some cases are due to psychiatric disorders such as antisocial personality, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Homeopathy has been found effective in such cases also, where it gives people a second chance to adapt to society and live within the community .
Watch for the following symptoms:
- Shock, denial, or disbelief
- Anger, irritability, mood swings
- Guilt, shame, self-blame
- Feeling sad or hopeless
- Confusion, difficulty concentrating
- Anxiety and fear
- Withdrawing from others
- Feeling disconnected or numb
What should victims do?
- Don’t isolate. Following a trauma, you may want to withdraw from others, but isolation makes things worse. Connecting to others will help you heal, so make an effort to maintain your relationships and avoid spending too much time alone.
- Find a doctor/counselor- seek help and do not let things get out of control.
- Ask for support. It’s important to talk about your feelings and ask for the help you need. Turn to a trusted family member, friend, and counselor. Join a support groups. Support groups are especially helpful when your personal support network is limited. Report the abuse to the relevant authorities to seek legal support.
- Establish a daily routine. In order to stay grounded after a trauma, it helps to have a structured schedule to follow. Try to stick to a daily routine, with regular times for waking, sleeping, eating, working, and exercise. Make sure to schedule time for relaxing and social activities, too.
- Take care of your health. A healthy body increases your ability to cope with stress. Get plenty of rest, exercise regularly, and eat a well-balanced diet. It’s also important to avoid alcohol and drugs. Alcohol and drug use can worsen your trauma symptoms and exacerbate feelings of depression, anxiety, and isolation.
A Sample of Homeopathic Remedies for Both Victims of Domestic Violence and Offenders:
The remedy is chosen depending upon the patient’s characteristic traits and symptoms. This list of remedies is meant for use with the guidance of a qualified homeopath.
- Ignatia– This is the first remedy a homeopath thinks of when someone has suffered the “loss of a loved one”. This remedy often applies when there are symptoms of a lump in the throat, spasms in the body, feelings of disappointment in one’s life dreams.
- Natrum Muriaticum– This remedy is often indicated in a “romantic loss” in very introverted people. They feel the loss as a breaking in half of their own identity. They will cry horribly while alone looking at pictures and listening to music, yet dread to show their feeling in public. This homeopathic remedy is especially indicated in cases where long term illness progressed from the loss.
- Arnica– is a remedy indicated where the loss was perceived as a blow. Often this is a financial trauma from loss of a job or investment crash. In this case one would feel hurt, bruised, and tender and not want to engage the hard world. The opposite could be the case when you toughen up and engage life in a blunt forceful manner in order to regain what you lost.
- Magnesium Muriaticum– This remedy can be indicated after the loss of a care giver where one feels abandoned and forsaken, left on her own, not able to fend for herself. This may be accompanied by digestive ailments.
- Aconite Napellus– This is one of the common medicines that are used for the treatment of fear. This medicine is basically for people who are always anxious, fearful, and in a state of anguish.
- Nuv Vomica– suited to individuals who are fault finding, irritable, quarrelsome. Oversensitive to noise, odors, light, touch.
- Lycopodium– is indicated when issues like- self-esteem and self-confidence are affected. A person may be bossy, dominating to those who know him best, like family, yet act meek and fearful in public. Has fear of public speaking and even the inability to stand up for oneself in a conflict. Aversion to undertake anything new, aversion to company yet dreads solitude.
- Staphysagria- Sensitive to scolding, insults. Suppression of anger, emotions; become speechless in arguments; sympathetic. Suited to individuals who do not allow themselves to express their emotions. His body may tremble in anger. Especially indicated when physical complaints appear after suppression of emotions and suppressed anger.
- Lachesis– indicated for individuals who areloquacious- constantly changing from one subject to another, tendency to jealousy, suspicious. Religious mania, fear of being poisoned. Great weakness mentally and physically yet no relief from lying down. Suited when causative factors for complaints are- disappointed love, egotism, anger, ailments from discord with parents, suppressed discharges, bad effects of tobacco.
- Anacardium- suited to individuals who are irritable, irresolute, easily angered, lack confidence. Suspicious, irresistible desire to swear and curse; malicious, destructive, offended easily. Laughs at serious matters and become serious about laughable matters. Aversion to work. Forgetful- forgets names of near ones. The characteristics seen in this remedy are- shrieking and cursing when in rage, violent anger, abusive behavior towards partner and children, revengeful.
Homeopathy is a safe and effective way to treat the victims as well as the culprits of domestic violence. It focuses on the way patients have reacted to events and the personality of the patient. It helps to bring complete harmony of physical, mental and social well being.
Some Related Cases Cured with Homeopathic Medicine