-Circulation; ARTERIES, AORTA; Atheroma of arteries (35): 2am-i., 2ars-i., 2aur-i., 2bar-c., 2glon., 2kali-i.
- The main idea of this Clinical Repertory is that very few remedies, especially main remedies are given in clinical rubrics, like the ones known for that pathology.
BOGER- BOENNINGHAUSEN’S CHARACTERISTICS AND REPERTORY (BBCR)
- It needs to be understood keeping in mind its main philosophies – Doctrine of Analogy, Doctrine of Concomitants and Doctrine of Generalization.
When to use?
- In cases having more modalities and concomitants, and cases where the pathological and objective symptoms are more marked.
- Different types of constitutions and diathesis with groups of remedies are available in various chapters – Like- URIC ACID diathesis is given in aggravation and amelioration in General Chapter.
- Some interesting Mind Rubrics given in BBCR which are not given in Synthetic Repertory-
-Mind; Alcoholism (67): 4ARS., 4NUX-V., 3Aurum, 3Belladonna, 3Calcarea, 3Cocc.
-Mind; Beseeching (1): stram.
- Many of these Rubrics have been added in Complete Repertory, however the technique of using it through BBCR is different.
- One of the most useful sections in this repertory is the FEVER chapter.
Fever totality – it is a unique and important contribution of this repertory, where each stage is followed by time, agg, amel and concomitant. Some very useful rubrics from the chapter are:
-Fever; PARTIAL HEAT; single parts, of (124): 4AML-N., 4ARS., 4BELL., 4BRY., 4MERC., 4PH-AC.
-Cold; SHIVERING; PARTIAL; of single parts (71): 4BELL., 4PULS., 4STAPH., 4VERAT., 3Arsenicum, 3Causticum
- Some very RARE rubrics – like: Infants affections of- is given in BBCR
-Generalities; Infants; asphyxia (4): 4ANT-T., 3Opium, 2chin., acon.
-Generalities; Infants; affections of, abdominal (14): 4CHAM., 4IP., 4RHEUM, 3Borax, 3Cina, 2acon.
-Generalities; Infants; indigestion, acute (5): 4IP., 3Aethusa, 3Nux-v., 3Pulsatilla, chin.
- Clarke says this repertory is designed “for use in the study of the Materia Medica” and as an instrument for finding out the indicated remedies.
Strong Causation/Exciting factor is there in a given case
Constitutional feature of patient is prominent
- It has three main sections- Clinical, Causes and Temperaments.
- Majorly it is useful In Causes- Causes From
Causes- Air, snowy- here there are two remedies- Conium and Sepia
Causes- Driving in cold wind, where the only remedy is Sanguin-n
- Temperaments- this chapter is made specially depending upon the body constitution and symptoms:
Temperaments- Adults, males rather than females, where the only remedy is Plumbum
Temperaments – Cancerous history, patients of, where there are three remedies Sars, Scirr and Tub
- Children constitution:
Temperaments- Children- Ride, who cannot, in jolting conveyances, where there is only one remedy Kali-iod
- Has given very few remedies in the Clinical rubrics, like:
-Clinical; Adhesions (1): thiosin.
- This repertory is based on Allen’s Encyclopedia and Allen’s Handbook. It is arranged in an Alphabetical order.
- It is a Repertory where you have to open location of the rubric and then the symptom.
- Allen’s keynotes are taken from Allen’s Encyclopedia, Allen’s Handbook and Herring’s Guiding Symptoms.
- Strong keynote- rubric like patient is unable to kneel down, so Rubric- KNEEL DOWN, unable to, where the only remedy is Tarentula
- One of the interesting cases analyzed using Allen’s Repertory that I remember was of a 40 year-old man with huge ankles, enormously swollen with constant itching and aggravated by slightest walking who was given Bryonia
- without any relief. It was solved using this repertory
I was surprised to see the remedy Arundo and with it the swelling reduced within a day.
- It is a Puritan (Concordance) Repertory.
- The sources of this repertory are from three major works viz. Dr. Constantine Hering’s Guiding Symptoms, Dr. John Henry Clarke’s Dictionary of Symptoms and Dr. Henry Charles Allen’s Handbook of Symptoms. Dr. Roberts took frequent references from Dr. Timothy Field Allen’s Encyclopedia & Dr. Anshutz’s New, Old & Forgotten Remedies.
- The repertory is based on sensations, if patient starts by saying ‘as if’, then the only repertory to be looked in is Roberts Repertory.
If a patient says there is an itching sensation as if biting of ants, we can find it under, Chapter- Skin, Rubric- Biting, Sub-rubric- of ants, where there are two remedies- Gamb and Lach
Choked in the chest- in the Complete Repertory shows many remedies, but in this repertory, there is only one : Internal chest-Choked in chest, the only remedy is Lil-tig
- If there is a strong sensation which is the main one in the case, then one can use Roberts
COMPUTER SOFTWARE – REFERENCE WORKS
- Software is one of the revolutionary new instruments for homeopaths, as it broadens the horizons for case analysis
- It has 2 sections to it, namely – REPERTORY and REFERENCE WORKS
The software repertory has a few salient features
- It readily gives the cross references
- It becomes easier to combine rubrics
- We can easily get a Repertory Sheet
- The Author – who has suggested the Marks for the remedy is readily available
This is a huge advancement for homoeopathy since it has in it all the different repertories and the different Solved cases plus proving symptoms which may not have been added in the Repertories and all the materia medica books plus recent Materia medica and new provings.
For example, if a patient has a symptom: metrorrhagia with excessive thirst, this symptom is unavailable in the repertory. However if we use the REFERENCE WORKS, as a search engine like- Metrorrhagia within four words of thirst (3): 3Acet-ac., cham., plat. We get 3 remedies, on studying the references Phatak MM – Acetic-acid- Metrorrhagia, with great thirst; after parturition. Threatening abscess of the breast. Milk impoverished, bluish, sour; suckling droop lose flesh, get marasmus.
I had an interesting case recently of a 40 year old man – with vitiligo. He says that from the time I have these white spots on my face and I have developed an itching in them. When I tried to search the repertory – I couldn’t find the exact symptom
When I searched it through the reference works –
White within four words of spots within four words of itching (22): 3Torul., all-s., apis, calc., calc-sil., cassi-f., coca, dulc., electr., herin., kreos., mangi., mim-p., nat-c., nit-ac., ozone, paraf., pip-m., pitu-a., sulph., thuj., urt-u.
When I went through every reference – the only remedy which was exact was Sulphur with which the symptoms disappeared in the next few days.
Reference works is basically the REPERTORY OF THE FUTURE which will bypass everything. So we can go through the repertory and come to very exact proving symptoms through the Reference Works.
Thus, the repertory which seemed to be so easy to use in college has been the most difficult to apply in practice. I hope this has given all the readers a good insight into the application of repertory for a successful practice.
the other song is organizing the Repertory series ‘Mastering the Repertory’ which will cover a range of topics including the use of repertory and practical application of repertory demonstrated through cases. The lecture series will also involve case exercises, video lectures and webinars to thoroughly train the students in skillful repertorial application.
A small glimpse into the content of the course:
- Different chapters of Kent’s repertory
- How to study mind rubrics
- Finding exact symptoms in the repertory
- Single drug rubric
- Finding the expression of the patient
- Use of Repertory in pathological cases
- Use of Repertory with Kingdoms and Miasms
The faculty of the other song, including Dr. Rajan Sankaran, Dr. Jayesh Shah and Dr. Sujit Chatterjee, will speak on various topics to provide deeper insights into the subject in weekly lectures over the year.
‘the other song’ Academy and Clinic:
Launched on July 1, 2011, the other song – International Academy of Advanced Homoeopathy, is a pioneering institute that offers the best possible homoeopathic treatment to patients, and teaches the latest advancement in the field of Homoeopathy to doctors. Spearheaded by Dr. Rajan Sankaran and ably supported by his colleagues, it is the converging point of some of the best minds in the field of Homoeopathy that our able to personally make invaluable contributions towards the cognitive enrichment of doctors and overall well-being of patients. The other song, besides being a world-class center of Homoeopathy, is also a platform for in-depth study and research in the application of Homoeopathy to a wide spectrum of diseases, testing skills and acumen of seasoned practitioners. It is inclusive in the use of alternative toolkit at the disposal of new-age therapists, i.e. yoga, meditation, diet, physiotherapy and focused counseling in order to facilitate and hasten total recovery of patients. It is also a forum where therapists from the domain of Homoeopathy converge to share their experience and widen the field of enquiry, research and advanced education.