14. Murcott T. The Whole Story: Alternative Medicine on Trial? Macmillan (New York) 2005.
15. Baum M, Ashcroft F, Berry C, Born G, Black J, Colquhoun D, Dawson P, Ernst E, Garrow J, Peters K, Rose L, Tallis R. Use of ‘Alternative’ Medicine’ in the NHS. The Times (London), 19/05/07.
16. See Ernst E. Integrated Medicine: good intentions, poor logic? J Roy Soc Health 2006;126(5):206-7 and references therein.
17. Rosenberg W, Donald A. Evidence-based medicine: an approach to clinical problem solving. BMJ 1995; 310(6987): 1122-1126.
18. Holmes D, Murray SJ, Perron A, and Rail G. Deconstructing the evidence-based discourse in health sciences: truth, power, and fascism. Int J Evid Based Healthc 2006;4:180-6.
19. Goodman NW. Who will challenge evidence-based medicine? J R Physicians 1999;33:249-251.
20. See Ernst E. ‘Towards a scientific understanding of placebo effects’ in Understanding the Placebo Effect in Complementary Medicine: Theory, Practice, and Research. Ed. David Peters, Churchill-Livingstone (Harcourt Publishers Ltd), London, 2001, pp 17-29.
21. Milgrom LR. Is homeopathy possible? J Roy Soc Health 2006;126(5):211-18 and references therein.
22. Bornhoeft G, Wolf U, von Ammon K, Righetti M, Maxion-Bergemann S, Baumgartner S, Thurneyson A, and Matthiessen PF. Effectiveness, safety, and cost-effectiveness of homeopathy in general practice – summarised health technology assessment. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed 2006; 13(suppl 2): 19-29.
23. Hahnemann H. Organon of Medicine, edition 6B, translated and revised by Hochstetter K, Editorial Universitaria, Santiago, Chile, 1977; par 9, p49.
24. Campbell A. Specifically key ideas in alternative medicine: website, http://www.acampbell.org.uk
25. Milgrom LR. Vitalism, complexity, and the concept of spin. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 26-31.
26. Hyland ME. A connectionist theory of asthma. J Clin Exp Allergy 1999; 29: 1467-1573.
27. Gernert D. Towards a closed description of observation processes. BioSystems 2000;54:165-80.
28. Auyung SY. How is Quantum Field Theory Possible? Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press,1995.
29. Milgrom LR. Towards a new model of the homeopathic process based on Quantum Field Theory. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed. 2006;13:167-173 (DOI:10.1159/000093662).
30. See, Spiegel MR. Schaum’s Outline of Theory and Problems of Complex Variables. New York, USA, McGraw-Hill, 1999. Complex numbers are numbers of the type a + ib where a and b are real and i = ?-1, which is imaginary.
31. Abbott EA. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. Princeton University Press , USA, 2005.
32. Pickover CA. Surfing Through Hyperspace: Higher Universes in Six Easy Lessons. Oxford University Press, Inc, USA, 2001.
33. Landau LJ. Experimental tests of general quantum mechanics. Lett Math Phys 1987;14:33-40.
34. A search of the Internet will reveal a plethora of sceptical sites condemning homeopathy and the use of quantum theory to explain it, e.g., .
35. Milgrom LR. Patient-practitioner-remedy (PPR) entanglement Part 4. Towards classification and unification of the different entanglement models for homeopathy. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 34-42.
36. Milgrom LR. Journeys in the country of the blind: entanglement theory and the effects of blinding on trials of homeopathy and homeopathic provings. Evid Based Complement Alt Med 2006: doi:10.1093/ecam/nel062.
37. Walach H. Entanglement model of homeopathy as an example of generalised entanglement predicted by weak quantum theory. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed Klass Naturheilkd 2003;10:192-200.
38. Hyland ME. Entanglement and some heretical thoughts about homeopathy. Homeopathy 2005;94:105-6.
39. Hankey A. Are we close to a theory of energy medicine? J Altern Complement Med 2004; 10: 83-86.
40. Hankey A. A “Maddox Effect”? A reason to adopt time series protocols in tests of homeopathic remedies. J Altern Complement Med 2005; 11: 759-61.
41. Walach H. Generalised entanglement: a new theoretical model for understanding the effects of complementary and alternative medicine. J Altern Complement Med 2005;11:549-59.
42. Hyland ME. Does a form of “entanglement” between people explain healing? An examination of hypotheses and methodology. Complement Ther Med 2004;12:198-208.
43. Hankey A. CAM modalities can stimulate advances in theoretical biology. Evid. Based Complement Alt Med 2005;2:5-12.
44. Gribbin J. Q is for Quantum. Weidenfeld and Nicholson, 1998.
45. Al-Khalil J. Quantum: a guide for the perplexed. Weidenfeld and Nicholson, London, 2003.
46. Cramer JG. Quantum Non-Locality and the Possibility of Superluminal Effects. Proceedings of the NASA Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Workshop, Cleveland, OH, August, 1997.
47. Bohr N. Can a quantum mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete? Phys Rev 1935;48:609-702.
48. Zeilinger A. Quantum experiments and the foundations of physics. Talk given to the Brookhaven National Laboratory, February 28, 2001.
49. Zeilinger A. Quantum teleportation and the nature of reality. 2004, Available at: http: //www.btgjapan.org/catalysts/anton.html.
50. Atmanspacher H, Roemer H, Walach H. Weak quantum theory: complementarity and entanglement in physics and beyond. Found Phys 2002;32:379-406.
51. Gernert D. Conditions for entanglement. Front Perspect 2005;14:8-13.
52. Grinberg-Zylberbaum J, Delaflor M, Attle L, Goswami A. The Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox in the brain: the transferred potential. Phys Essays 1994;7:423-8.
53. Wackermann J. Dyadic correlations between brain functional states: present and future perspectives. Mind Matter 2004;2:105-22.
54. Moellinger H, Schneider R, Loeffel M, et al. A double blind randomized homeopathic pathogenic trial with healthy persons: comparing two high potencies. Forsche Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2004; 11: 274-80.
55. Walach H, Sherr J, Schneider R, Shabi R, Bond A, Rieberer G. Homeopathic proving symptoms: result of a local, non-local, or placebo process? A blinded, placebo-controlled pilot study. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 179-85.
56. Dominici G, Bellavite P, di Stanislao C, Gulia P, Pitari G. Double-blind placebo-controlled homeopathic pathogenic trials: symptom collection and analysis. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 123-30.
57. Milgrom LR. Entanglement, knowledge, and their possible effects on the outcomes of blinded homeopathic provings. J Altern Complement Med 2006; 12: 271-9.
58. Milgrom LR. Are randomised controlled trials (RCTs) redundant for testing the efficacy of homeopathy? A critique of RCT methodology based on entanglement theory. J Altern Complement Med 2005;11: 831-38.
59. Milgrom LR: Patient-practitioner-remedy (PPR) entanglement Part 7. A gyroscopic metaphor for the vital force, and its use to illustrate some of the empirical laws of homeopathy. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed Klass Naturheilkd 2004; 11: 212-23.
60. Atkins PW, Friedman RS. Molecular Quantum Mechanics, 3rd edition. Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press, 1997.
61. Coulter HL. Homeopathic science and modern medicine: the physics of healing with microdoses. Berkeley, California, USA, North Atlantic Books, 1981.
62. Sherr J. The Dynamics and Methodology of Homeopathic Provings. West Malvern UK, Dynamis Books, 1994.
63. Milgrom LR. Patient-practitioner-remedy (PPR) entanglement Part 8. ‘Laser-like’ action of the homeopathic therapeutic encounter as predicted by a gyroscopic metaphor for the vital force. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed Klass Naturheilkd 2005; 12: 206-13.
64. Milgrom LR. Patient-practitioner-remedy (PPR entanglement. Part 9. ‘Torque-like’ action of remedies and diseases on the Vital Force (Vf), and their consequences for homeopathic treatment. J Alt Complement Med (accepted for publication).
65. Cartan E. The Theory of Spinors. Mineola, New York, Dover Publications, Inc, 1981
66. Lipkin HJ. Lie Groups for Pedestrians. Mineola, New York, Dover Publications, Inc, 2002.
67. Schiff M.The Memory of Water: Homeopathy and the Battle of Ideas in the New Science, London, Thorsons (HarperCollinsPublishers), 1995, p26-28, and references therein.
68. Franchi JR. Maths Refresher for Scientists and Engineers. Chichester, John Wiley and Sons, 1997, pp36.
69. See reference 24, paragraphs 269-273, p190-198.
70. Clapham C. Oxford Concise Dictionary of Mathematics, 2nd Edition, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1996, p3.
71. See reference 69, p128-129.
72. WeingÃ¤rtner O. The Homeopathic Mechanism from the Viewpoint of a Quantum Mechanical Paradoxon. J Alt Complement Med 2005; 11(5): 773-774.
73. WeingÃ¤rtner O. Homeopathy and Quantum Field Theory. Forsch KomplementÃ¤rmed Klass Naturheilkd 2006; 14: 140.
74. Oxford Dictionary of Latin Words and Phrases, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1998, pp72.
Figure 1. Schematic of the Vf gyroscope: a real gyroscope in 3-D space precesses around the z-axis sweeping out gradually increasing ‘orbits’ in the x-y plane. The metaphorical Vf gyroscope precesses in fixed quantised ‘orbits’ as shown and the y and z axes are complex. Symptoms are observed along the real x axis.
Figure 2. View of the Vf gyroscope in figure 1, looking down the imaginary iz axis.
Figure 3. Plots of the Vital Force wave function, ?Vf = 2Acosk2S2 (black curve), the remedial torque, d?Vf/dS2 = -2Ak2sink2S2 (white curve), and the combination, ?Vf + d?Vf/dS2 = 2Acosk2S2 – 2Ak2sink2S2 (grey curve), where A = 1, and (a), k2 = 0.5; (b), k2 = 1; and (c), k2 = 2. Note how as k2 increases, so do the frequencies of the wave forms, and the grey curve peak amplitude and position with respect to the black and white curves: at low k2 the grey curve is like the black curve, while at high k2 the grey curve is more like the white curve. (reference 64).
Figure 4. Plots of the real part of equation 2 (?Rx = cos k2?S2: k2 = 1; black curve: k2 = 0.075; shallow grey curve), and equation 5 (?Rx » 1 – [k2?S2]2/2!: k2 = 1; steep white curve: k2 = 0.075; shallow white curve).
Figure 5. Force diagram showing the homeostatic immune system Is disturbed by disease and remedy.
Figure 6. Plots of the real part of equation 2 for k2 = 1 (?Rx = cos k2?S2; black curve), equations 5 and 9 (k2?2 » ?: k2 = 1; steep white curve: k2 = 0.005; shallow white curve), and equation 7 (k2?2 » ?: k2 = 1; steep grey curve flattening to 0: k2 = 0.005; shallow grey curve). Note how compared to equation 2, equation 7 goes to 0