For those of us who use or prescribe homeopathic medicines, or who simply take an academic interest in the subject, any news of research that objectively confirms the effectiveness of homeopathy is usually of great interest. With this in mind, following is another in the Hpathy homeopathic research series.
1. Khuda-Bukhsh AR, Pathak S, Guha B, KarmakarSR, Das JK, Banerjee P, Biswas SJ, Mukherjee P, Bhattacharjee N, ChoudhurySC, Banerjee B, Bhadra S, MallickP, ChakrabartiJ, Mandal B. Can Homeopathic Arsenic Remedy Combat Arsenic Poisoning in Humans Exposed to Groundwater Arsenic Contamination? : A Preliminary Report on First Human Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Medorrhinum 2005 Dec;2(4):537-48. Epub 2005 Oct 19. In a study that helps to confirm earlier work done in this area, researchers at the University of Kalyani in West Bengal, India, tested the capacity of homeopathic Arsenicum album 30C to assist in the removal of arsenic in 123 people suffering from arsenic toxicity from groundwater contamination. Given in intervals for 7 and 10 days, at the end of each interval the level of arsenic in the blood and urine as well as the activity of various toxicity markers was assessed in all subjects. Subsequent analysis of the results confirmed that the ingestion of Arsenicum album 30C by this group of people was associated with a statistically significant reduction in blood and urinary arsenic, and a normalisation of arsenic-associated toxicity markers.
2. van den MeerschautL, Sunder A. The Homeopathic Preparation Nervoheel N can Offer an Alternative to Lorazepam Therapy for Mild Nervous Disorders. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 December; 6(4): 507–515. This study, conducted in Belgium and the Netherlands, was constructed to compare the relative effects of a complex of homeopathic ingredients (Nervoheel N) and lorazepam (sold in Australia as Ativan) in 2478 people diagnosed with various mild nervous disorders, including insomnia, anxiety, restlessness and burnout. The people enrolled in the study were assessed at baseline and underwent treatment in a non-randomised, open label format and were reassessed at 2 weeks and 4 weeks by their prescribing practitioner. Analysis of the results after 4 weeks found that both interventions provided significant symptomatic improvement, with the people in the Nervoheel N group experiencing a slightly better level of improvement than those people using lorazepam.
3. Adler UC, Paiva NMP, Cesar AT, Adler MS, Molina A, Padula AE, Calil HM. Homeopathic Individualized Q-potencies versus Fluoxetine for Moderate to Severe Depression: Double-blind, Randomized Non-inferiority Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Medorrhinum 2009 Aug 17. [Epub ahead of print]. Using a randomized, double blind and placebo-controlled design, researchers at the Federal University of Sao Paolo in Brazil enrolled 91 people who’d been diagnosed (using the DSM-IV criteria) with depression into the study and randomly assigned them to receive either individualized homeopathy, fluoxetine (a drug commonly used to treat depression, otherwise known as Prozac) or a placebo version of both. Using the standard therapeutic regime for either, at the end of the 4th and 8th weeks, all of those who completed the study were re-assessed, again using the DSM-IV criteria, for depression. Subsequent analysis found that both interventions were equally successful, with outcome scores for homeopathy slightly ahead of those for fluoxetine, and the adverse reaction rate for homeopathy assessed at less than half of that for fluoxetine.
4. Witt CW, Ludtke R, Willich SN. Homeopathic treatment of patients with chronic sinusitis: A prospective observational study with 8 years follow-up. BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders, 2009, 9:7 doi:10.1186/1472-6815-9-7. 132 people were enrolled in this study. They’d been suffering from chronic sinusitis for an average of 10.7 years and were treated by a total of 62 physicians. 97% of these people had previously been treated with conventional medicine without any sustained level of success. They were all treated with individualized homeopathy, had their progress followed by their physicians for 2 years and monitored for symptom severity, quality of life, conventional medicine use, and then monitored their own progress for a further 6 years. Of those that finished the study, their average sinusitis symptom score had reduced by 73%, the physical quality of life score had improved by 38% and the mental quality of life score had improved by 36%.
5. de Menezes Fonseca GRM, de Almeida Bolognani F, Durão FF, Souza KM, Accioly MCC, Bagarollo FM. Effect of homeopathic medication on the cognitive and motor performance of autistic children (Pilot study) Int J High Dilution Res, 2008; 7(23); 63-71. In this uncontrolled pilot study carried out in Brazil, 30 children diagnosed with autism using the DSM-IV criteria and evaluated via Psychoeducational Profile Revised (PEP-R) were treated with individualized homeopathy and organotherapy. Assessment was carried using PEP-R before treatment and again 4-10 months after beginning treatment. Subsequent analysis and assessment via PEP-R showed an improvement in the depression experienced in all subjects.
6. Marino R. Homeopathy and Collective Health: The Case of Dengue Epidemics Int J High Dilution Res. 2008; 7(25):179-185. In 2001 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, researcher Renan Marino conducted a trial using the homeopathic medicine, Eupatorium perfoliatum 30C, in a single dose, to protect residents against the development of Dengue Fever. A total of 1959 people were given the medicine and were monitored to determine what effect, if any, was produced by the medicine over a fixed period of time. When this data was collected and compared to the Dengue Fever notification rate for a similar location, it was found that the single dose of the homeopathic medicine was associated with an 81% reduction in the development of the disease.
1. Khuda-Bukhsh AR, Bhattacharyya SS, Paul S, Dutta S, Boujedaini N, Belon P. Modulation of Signal Proteins: A Plausible Mechanism to Explain How a Potentized Drug Secale Cor 30C Diluted beyond Avogadro’s Limit Combats Skin Papilloma in Mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Medorrhinum 2009 Jul 16. [Epub ahead of print] This study was carried out at the Department of Zoology at the University of Kalyani in India’s West Bengal and was designed to test the hypothesis that the means by which homeopathic Secale 30C cures skin papilloma is by modulating the signalling proteins involved in the disease. While this modulation may only be secondary to some other primary action, the researchers were able to detect, via histological, cytogenetical, immunofluorescence, ELISA and immunoblot assessment, not only a modulation of the signaling proteins involved in the pathology, but a statistically significant improvement in the condition.
2. Hielm-Bjorkman A, Tulamo RM, Salonen H, Raekallio M. Evaluating Complementary Therapies for Canine Osteoarthritis—Part II: A Homeopathic Combination Preparation (Zeel). Evid Based Complement Alternat Medorrhinum 2009 Dec;6(4):465-71. The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Helsinki was the setting for this trial, which involved an investigation of the anti-osteoarthritic capacity of Zeel, a combination of homeopathically potentised ingredients. Using a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled protocol, 44 dogs suffering from osteoarthritis were randomly allocated to receive either Zeel or one of two versions of a placebo control. All dogs received these materials for 8 weeks and were examined every 4 weeks after an initial assessment which consisted of mobility, force-plate variables, owner-evaluated chronic pain and pain and mobility index, as well as the intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The results collected showed that when compared to controls, the intake of Zeel was associated with a statistically significant reduction in osteoarthritic pain.
3. Preethi KC, Nair CK, Kuttan R. Clastogenic potential of Ruta graveolens extract and a homeopathic preparation in mouse bone marrow cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2008 Oct-Dec;9(4):763-9. This Indian study was carried out to determine what effects, if any, a plant extract of Ruta graveolens would exert on the bone marrow cells of mice, and whether or not a 200C homeopathic potency of the same material produced a similar effect. Both forms of Ruta plus a control were administered to separate groups of mice in for 30 days (the extract was given in 2 different concentrations) and the bone marrow cells examined. At the end of the study period, measurements indicated that when compared to controls, both the plant extract and 200th potency of Ruta were found to have produced statistically significant changes to the cellular nuclear morphology, gross cellular morphology and cellular DNA. Interestingly, a study published by the same author in 2006 found that a plant extract of Ruta and its 200C potency exhibited cytotoxicity against several common forms of tumor. The fact that both forms of Ruta will cause the same problem in healthy cells that they’re capable of curing in cells that are already in this state is a useful example of the homeopathic similia principle in action.
4. Martins CR, Vieria EC, Gazim ZC, Massambani C. Treatment of Subclinical mastitis by Homeopathic Mineral Supplementation of the Diet of Lactating Dairy Cows- a Case Study. Cultura Homeopática, 2007, 19, Apr-Jun, 16-19. Carried out at the University of Paranaense, the authors of this uncontrolled trial tested 4 different complexes of homeopathic medicines, the ingredients of which were selected on the basis of the pathogenetic action of the individual ingredients and their ability to modify the symptoms of subclinical mastitis. 32 cows suffering from clinically confirmed mastitis were individually assigned to one of the 4 treatment groups based on their clinical symptoms, and given the medicine daily. Inflammatory cell counts were performed on the cows before they were given the homeopathic combinatiions and again at 90 days after starting treatment. An examination of these results found that on average, the homeopathic combination therapy was associated with a reduction in relative inflammatory cell count from 44.5% to 3.9%.
5. Alecu A, Alecu M, Cojocaru A, Brezeanu R. Effect of the homeopathic remedy Arnica montana 7CH on mechanical trauma in mice. Cultura Homeopática, 20, Jul- Sept, 2007, 16-18. Researchers at Romania’s University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Targu Mures, carried this study out to determine what effect, if any, Arnica 7C could bring to bear on mice suffering from trauma, when compared to placebo. 40 mice suffering from trauma were randomly assigned to receive either placebo or Arnica 7C, and the effects of either intervention assessed with reference to oedema and pain, every 15 minutes for 3 hours. Compilation and analysis of the results showed that Arnica 7C produced a statistically significant reduction in both parameters over and above that of the placebo.
6. Alecu A, Alecu M, Marcus G, Brezeanu R, Cojocaru A. Effect of the homeopathic remedies Arnica montana and Staphisagria on the time of healing of surgical wounds. Cultura Homeopática, 2007, 20, Jul- Sept, 19-21. This controlled experiment was designed test the hypothesis that homeopathic Arnica and Staphysagria accelerate the recovery from the incisional wounds occurring in surgery. 75 rats that had undergone surgery were randomly assigned to receive Arnica 7C, Arnica 30C, Staphysagria 7C, Staphisagria 30C, or placebo. The wounds were sutured and observed daily for the degree of cicatrization. On analysis it was found that both potencies of both medicines all provided a similar acceleration of recovery, reducing cictrization time from 20-23 days for the placebo, down to an average of 15-16 days for the homeopathic medicines.
7. Barzon CD, de Medeiros F, Moraes RE, da Silva LCM, Massambani C, Takemura OS, Gazim ZC. Preliminary study of homeopathic treatment of subclinical mastitis evaluated through somatic cells count and California mastitis test. Int J High Dilution Res, 2008; 7(24): 147-151 147. This uncontrolled study, carried out at the University of Paranaense in Brazil, looked at the effects of a complex of homeopathic remedies on subclinical mastitis in cattle over a fixed period of time. Using the California Mastitis Test to determine the clinical progress and backing this up with a somatic cell count, 25 cows suffering from subclinical mastitis were treated for 75 days. The homeopathic complex produced a clinically significant regression in the condition in 82% of the cows.
1. Bonfim FPG, Martins ER, das Dores RGR, Barbosa CKR, Casali VWD, HonórioICC. Use of homeopathic Arnica montana for the issuance of roots of Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Lippia alba. Int J High Dilution Res, 2008; 7(23); 113-117 113. This Brazilian study was conceived to determine the effects of Arnica 3C, 6C, 9C and 12C on the number and length of shoots and the percentage of sets and quality of stakes of Rosemary and White Lippia, when compared to 2 different controls. By adding 10 drops of each potency of Arnica in 400mL of water to each plant, repeating this 4 times, and comparing the results from these plants to the controls, variance analysis confirmed that the 3C, 6C and 12C potencies of Arnica stimulated all of the rooting variables for both species.