My cat Jezzebelle is a 15 year-old Maine Coon/Snow-Shoe mix whom I adopted four years ago. A prior owner had physically abused her so she has extensive damage to her stomach and intestines. Before I was introduced to homeopathy, she frequently vomited hair balls and had loose stool. I’ve treated her with 30c Arsenicum album and Arnica montana. She has responded very well to this treatment.
Rat Poisoning/Aminopterin Poisoning Symptoms
Approximately six weeks ago, Jezze began to increase her water intake. Whereas she usually drinks a few ounces of water per day, she began consuming several bowls of water, and her urine output greatly increased. Within a few days, she stopped eating both wet and dry food. She continued consuming nothing but water for ten days. There were no behavioural changes, but she is not a high-energy cat even at 100%.
The initial reports identified wheat gluten as a possible causal agent and stated that feline deaths were resulting from kidney infections. I found the link between this epidemic and the inclusion of wheat gluten highly unlikely, but I was grateful for the information provided on kidney failure. Therefore, I introduced 30c Apis, which unfortunately, didn’t really help.
When, mid March, the parent company of Special Kitty issued a statement that a rat poison was the cause (Aminopterin), I sensed that Jezze needed Nux vomica, based on it being one of the main remedies in homeopathy for poisonings of all kinds, plus the fact that there seemed to be no characteristic symptoms in the case, just the common symptoms of the poisoning.
The day after the first dose of Nux vomica, I noticed a striking improvement in her symptoms. Over the following 10 days, her condition improved by 70%. She appeared to be on the road to a full recovery and is doing so slowly because it had not been properly handled for the first four weeks.
She received one dry 30c Nux vomica pellet and one dissolved in water per day. My homeopath, Elaine, said I should put the remedy in water and succuss before each dose, which might move the case along more quickly.
After 10 days, the urine output had significantly decreased because she was only drinking one bowl of water per day. Her appetite has also returned in full force–always a good sign! My mom thinks that we shouldn’t worry because she is very happy and sleeping well.
It is my hope that readers will see that I, who am not a homeopath, was able to successfully treat rat poisoning in an advanced-age cat despite the pre-existing conditions: the emotional and physical issues following her rescue four years ago.
The use of Nux v. might help pets that have not yet recovered. I will welcome comments, questions, and suggestions at [email protected].