Dementia is a chronic brain disorder in which there is progressive deterioration in cognitive functions, which occurs with certain diseases. It affects memory, thinking, language, judgment and behavior. Most types of dementia are degenerative in which changes in the brain can not be turned back.
Causes of dementia
- Alzheimer’s disease (Homeopathy Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Pick’s disease
- Huntington’s chorea
- Progressive supranuclear palsy
- Lewy body dementia
Vascular causes of dementia
- Multi infract dementia
- Sub cortical vascular dementia
- Psychotropic drugs
- Viral encephalitis
- Creutzfeldt – Jacob disease
- HIV infection
- Sub acute sclerosing panenephalitis
Metabolic causes of dementia
- Chronic hepatic encephalopathy
- Dialysis dementia
- Wilson’s disease
Endocrinal causes of dementia
- Thyroid, parathyroid, pituitary, adrenal dysfunction
- Pernicious anemia
- Folic acid and B12 deficiency
- Thiamine deficiency
Neoplastic causes of dementia
- Brain tumors and other intra-cranial space occupying lesions
Traumatic causes of dementia
- Subdural hematoma, head injury
Symptoms of dementia
- Memory loss – may also be associated with concentration symptoms. Other possibilities include the side effects of various medications and other medical conditions such as depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse etc.
- Confusion – it can be associated with anxiety, difficulty in concentration, tiredness, fatigue etc.
- Disorientation – refers to mental symptoms of feeling loss or unsure of your location.
- Cognitive loss – it directly affects rational thinking of a person. Can also found in various other medical conditions.
- Personality changes – causes social discomfort and impair social and occupational thinking.
Investigation of dementia
- Complete blood count
- Biochemistry profile: renal and hepatic functions, detect presence of diabetes, and electrolyte abnormalities
- Serum B12 levels and folate
- Thyroid stimulating hormone
- Serological tests for syphilis
- HIV testing
- CT scan and MRI – demonstrated large ventricular enlargement, critical sulcul widening and reduced temporal lobe volumes in a significant number of patients.
- SPECT – patient who have bilateral hypo perfusion defect in temporo-parietal lobes are more likely to have AD.
Role of homeopathy in treatment of dementia – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat dementia but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for dementia treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensation and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for dementia treatment:
- Nux Vom – disposition to find fault with everything and every body; extreme sensitiveness to the words and attention of others, inclination to kill his best friends; wants to commit suicide but is too cowardly to do so; very irritable, quarrelsome, vindictive.
- Mercurius – complete loss of all sense of decency; filthy in body with groveling mentality; great weakness of memory; impaired vision; foul breath; heavy coated tongue.
- Ignatia – extreme mental sensitiveness due to grief, disappointment in love affairs.
- Calcaria Carb – complete lack of development of brain and other organs with forgetfulness. Slowness and inability to acquire knowledge.
- Lycopodium – great depression of spirits; despondent; worried about his salvation; about being able to perform his duties; about passing in examination, fretful, irritable, morose, very vehement and angry. Constipation, eructations of sour food.
- Staphisagria – sleeplessness. Coward with shamefulness, disgust, humiliation, despair, shyness with desire for solitude.
- Chamomilla – sensitiveness; irritability, peevishness; very easily angered and suffers profoundly as a result thereof.
- Terentula His – rages over something and throws whatever in hand and whatever he could reach. On slightest contradiction or objection he will hit the person with whatever he can get hold of.
Allopathic treatment for dementia – mainly include antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs.
Other natural and alternative methods – mainly include zinkgo biloba, AyurvedIc medications , yoga, folate, olive oil, vitamin D, avoidance of alcohol, low calorie diet etc.