Stomach pain is a common complaint within the pediatric population, particularly among school-aged children and adolescents. The etiology of stomach pain in children varies from serious, life-threatening emergencies to less serious disorders such as colic, constipation, or emotional disturbances. Certain conditions are more commonly associated with specific age groups.
It is classified as visceral (dull or crampy and poorly localized), somatic (reflects peritoneal inflammation, is localized to the area of the involved viscera), or referred (caused by local irritation and referral along the organ’s innervations pathway).
An organic cause of a child’s stomach pain should always be explored because it may indicate colic, food allergy, intussusceptions, appendicitis, Mickel’s diverticulum, peritonitis, urinary tract infection, or other pathology.
Periumblical pain is often associated with functional abdominal pain disorder, a common childhood disorder affecting children affecting children between the ages of 5 and 19 years of age that is severe enough to affect activities.
The pain rarely occurs at night and does not interrupt sleep. Sometimes, constipation is associated with functional abdomen pain.
Causes of stomach pain in children
Pain may result from inflammation, ischemia, distension, constipation, or obstruction. Gastroenteritis is the most common cause of acute pain. Chronic pain happens if child holds in bowl movements and causes constipation. Urinary tract infections can cause stomach or abdominal pain, and often the child with bladder infection does not complain of burning and having to go for urination more often.
Homeopathic treatment of stomach pain in children– Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for stomach pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some useful medicines are given below for the treatment of stomach pain in children:
- Nux Vom – One of the best remedy for such complaints especially due to indigestion
- Colocynthis – pain which is better by bending double or by hard pressure.
- Pulsatilla – pain which is caused after taking rich food, pastry
- Natrum Carb – pain which is relieved by eating
- Cuprum Met. – Violent spasms which is aggravated by cold drinks.
- Croton Tig– gripping pain which is associated with profuse watery diarrhea
- Chamomilla – Spasmodic pain especially after anger
- Dioscorea – Pain which is better by bending backward
- Belladonna – pain due to intestinal obstruction
- Mag Phos – violent, spasmodic pain which is better by hot application.
- China Off – stomach pain associated with distension and fullness specially after eating
Allopathic treatment of stomach Pain in children – treatment is depending upon cause or medical condition; surgery can also be done in few surgical diseases.
Other natural or alternative treatment of stomach pain in children – include naturopathy, Ayurveda, Vitamin B3, VitaminB5, meditation etc.