Spondylosis refers to degenerative changes in the spine such as bone spurs or osteophyte formation and degenerating intervertebral discs between the vertebrae. If it happens in the lumbar region then it’s termed lumbar spondylosis.
Some facts about lumbar spondylosis:
- There are several medical terms that sound similar to and are often confused with spondylosis including the following:
- Spondylitis is inflammation of one or more vertebrae, such as in ankylosing spondylitis (Homeopathy Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis), an inflammatory form of arthritis of the spine.
- Spondylolysis is incomplete development and formation of the connecting part of the vertebra, the pars interarticularis. This defect predisposes to spondylolisthesis
- Spondylolisthesis is forward or backward displacement of the body of one vertebrae in relation to an adjacent vertebra.
- Spinal stenosis is narrowing of the spinal canal. This narrowing of the spinal canal limits the amount of space for the spinal cord and nerves. Pressure on the spinal cord and nerves due to limited space can cause symptoms such as pain, numbness and tingling.
- Sciatica is pain shooting down the sciatic nerve. Sciatica often occurs when a herniated disc puts pressure on the sciatic nerve as it exits the spinal canal in the low back.
Symptoms of Lumbar spondylosis:
- Localized pain
- Pain after prolonged sitting
- Worsening pain after repeated movement
- Muscle spasms
- Tingling, numbness in the limbs
Role of homeopathy in lumbar spondylosis:
- Degeneration being the main cause of Lumbar Spondylosis, it is taken care of by homeopathic medicines by altering the further progress of the degeneration and reducing the damage to a certain extent.
- Homeopathic remedies for lumbar Spondylosis havea special action on joints, the lumbo sacral region of the spine and cartilage. They further help in strengthening the ligaments and cartilage in order to provide better support to the inflamed joints and prevent complications.
- In certain patients, lumbar spondylosis is observed at an early age due to genetic predisposition and early degenerative changes. Homeopathy works excellently in such cases by arresting early degenerative processes.
- Some homeopathic medicines, including tissue salts, prevent fragile bone structure from breaking and promote healthy healing of ligaments, bones and cartilages
Case Synopsis of lumbar spondylosis with typical osteocyte formation:
A middle-aged patient presented with severe lower back pain causing him to sit restlessly.Xrays showed early signs lumbar spondylosis with osteophyte formation.
His profession demanded long periods of standing and bending. Constitutionally he was lean and with good height.He was not at all interested in narrating any symptoms as the pain was severe.He experienced much weakness.
Symptomatic medicine was given based on clinical reports,his symptoms and my observations.
Acid phos 200, a single dose stat, along with Calcarea carb 200 tids.
Four days later his pain was settled but he still felt “pinching” while bending. I continued Calcarea carb 200 along with the tissue salt Calc flour 12x tids.
Acid phos was given based on his constitution, lean and thin with weakness.
Calc carb has symptoms of osteophytes of lumbar region, along with lower back pain after prolonged standing. Calc flour has symptoms of bony overgrowth.
The remedies continued for 6 weeks. After two months an X-ray showed resolution of the osteophytes and the lumbar spondylosis.