There are, however, as has just been stated, certainly a few emotional diseases which have not merely been developed into that form out of corporeal diseases, but which, in an inverse manner, the body being but slightly indisposed, originate and are kept up by emotional causes, such as continued anxiety, worry, vexation, wrongs and the frequent occurrence of great fear and fright. This kind of emotional diseases in time destroys the corporeal health, often to a great degree.
(Samuel Hahnemann: Organon of Medicine)
What is panic disorder?
A panic attack is a sudden episode of intense fear that triggers severe physical reactions when there is no real danger or apparent cause
Panic attacks can be very frightening
When panic attacks occur, you might think you’re losing control, having a heart attack or even dying
If you’ve had recurrent, unexpected panic attacks and spent long periods in constant fear of another attack, you may have a condition called panic disorder
Although panic attacks themselves aren’t life-threatening, they can be frightening and significantly affect the person’s quality of life.
Signs or symptoms of panic attack
- Sense of impending doom or danger
- Fear of loss of control or death
- Shortness of breath or tightness in your throat
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or faintness
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- Feeling of unreality ordetachment
- Hot flashes §Nausea §Abdominal cramping §Chest pain §Headache §Sweating
- Rapid, pounding heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
These factors may play a role:
- Major stress
- Temperament – more sensitive to stress or prone to negative emotions
- Certain changes in the way parts of your brain function §Some research → the body’s natural fight-or-flight response to danger is involved in panic attacks
- But it’s unknown why a panic attack occurs when there’s no obvious danger present.
Psychospiritual Cause of Panic disease
– the blockages are at the level of the Muladhara – trust, security
– they have to learn how to relax
– is triggered in those people who insist too much on control and who want to seem calm and able to solve everything
– when something happens that gets out of their control, they panic
Symptoms of panic disorder often
– start in the late teens or early adulthood and
– affect more women than men
Family history of panic attacks or panic disorder
Major life stress (death or serious illness of a loved one)
A traumatic event (a sexual assault or a serious accident)
Major changes in your life (a divorce or the addition of a baby)
Smoking or excessive caffeine intake
History of childhood physical or sexual abuse
Left untreated → can affect almost every area of the life.
The person live in a constant state of fear, ruining his quality of life
- Development of specific phobias, such as fear of driving or leaving his home
- Frequent medical care for health concerns §Avoidance of social situations
- Problems at work or school
- Depression, anxiety disorders and other psychiatric disorders §Increased risk of suicide or suicidal thoughts
- Alcohol or other substance misuse §Financial problems
Homeopathic approach to Depression
Basic principles of homeopathy:
- Individualization – treats the person, not the disease
- Holism – totality of symptoms on mental, emotional and physical level, causality, life circumstances
The patient details the history of his sufferings; those about him tell what they heard him complain of, how he has behaved and what they have noticed in him; the physician sees, hears, and remarks by his other senses what there is of an altered or unusual character about him. He writes down accurately all that the patient and his friends have told him in the very expressions used by them. Keeping silence himself he allows them to say all they have to say, and refrains from interrupting them1 unless they wander off to other matters. The physician advises them at the beginning of the examination to speak slowly, in order that he may take down in writing the important parts of what the speakers say.
1 Every interruption breaks the train of thought of the narrators, and all they would have said at first does not again occur to them in precisely the same manner after that.
(Samuel Hahnemann: Organon of Medicine)
Case : 30 year old married woman
Dg.: Panic disorder Depression
5 weeks into pregnancy
Chief Complaints – 6.09.2019.
– recurrent panic attacks
– anxiety and
– depressive state, being admitted and treated in psychiatry repeatedly, last time for a few months
She was treated with Escitalopram 10 mg daily and Alplazolam 0.25 mg ½ – ½ – 1
A week ago she found out that she was pregnant!
Because they as a couple want to keep the baby and because the treatment from the psychiatrist is not recommanded during pregnancy, she came for homeopathic treatment.
Case taking, Observation
Case history, life circumstances
- A young, married women from Romania
- She graduated from the University, an economist
- Two years before they moved together with husband in the UK, to work there
- She experienced there an intense homesickness, and presented also some physical complaints (pain in her legs, measles, head pain) , being exhausted from working too much
- After that she presented vertigo
- They returned from UK and she was admitted in the psychiatry dept. presenting very intense fear of diseases, anxiety, panic attacks, depression
- Although she took the treatment, her state was the same § Her greatest concern was not to receive electric shocks
Her nature, her complaints (1.)
- She experiences episodes of choking and constrictive pain in epigastrium, having the feeling that she is controlled by somebody else, beyond her will, some superhuman force
- All the time she is trying to control the situations §She has fears, of getting too mad!
- She used to brood a lot
- She used to worry because of money
- When this situation started, she got tired in the UK because she had to work a lot there and experienced a strong homesickness, which she suppressed. Her husband use to say “You have to resist, other people are dealing with the same situation”
- She felt underestimated – she would return home earlier, had a lot of fights on this topic with husband
- After coming back home, she felt that others are moving forward, but they as a couple just stagnate
- She is very competitive, but even at her workplace now she feels that she is underestimated, because she is not paid well enough.
- “She is the one who all the time is left behind” What does it mean? That she feels being underpaid
- “My husband is a little quiet, I would like to talk more” – and she was speaking continuously, there was no need for questions!
- She is anxious when she has to perform.
- Sleeplessness because of constant worry and anxiety
- At her workplace she has a colleague, who is very domineering toward her.
- If something bad is happening with her, if somebody offends her, she becomes revengeful
- In a conflict she does not give up easily. §She doesn’t like to adapt to others.
- When she is angry, she became hysterical, aggressive. §She used to ask a lot of questions, being very curious.
- Sometimes she is envious of others, having a feeling of inferiority. §Before she was very religious, now she misses those times.
- She is interested in other cultures, and if she had money, would like to travel in the East.
- She feels irritated by people who behave like they are important, who want to go everywhere, who flatter and manipulate – “I am not like this.”
- Fears something will happen with her mother or husband; §Fear of fears – „From where are the thoughts coming from?” §“Fear that they (the doctors) will not be able to calm me down” §Fear of diseases ”that I will never heal”
- No other fears – she used to hike
- To move ( running, hiking)
- To be creative, to arrange her house (interior design) §To cook
- To be active
- To go to parties ( she is missing this now, because her husband doesn’t like it)
- Her favorite fairy tale: The Beauty and the Beast
Dreams: does not remember
- Strong desire to have a child
- She is very attached to her family ( husband, parents) §Has low self-confidence
- She loves cats very much §She does not like changes §She likes the autumn
- She feels worse in the morning
- She feels, that her life now is depressing
Husband opinion about her: she is very headstrong v H/O: no significant illnesses in family
- Also her father was domineering with her.
- In childhood she was scolded because of her younger sister. §Sometimes she was agressive with her sister.
- She was attached to her grandmother who died a few years ago. She had remorse that she neglected her grandmother.
- In the school she was the first, being very good in mathematics. §She was interested in philosophy.
- She could not fit in with the other girls in boarding school, because she felt oppressed.
- One of the girls dominated her.
- Even now at her workplace there is a colleague who dominates her.
- Constrictive pain in epigastrium when stressed §Warmblooded
- She does not tolerate anything around her neck
- Menses regularly before pregnancy, swelling of mammae and pain in lower abdomen before menses, ameliorated once the menses started
- Desire for pasta, aubergine, alcohol §Thirst present
- Constipated §Libido decreased §Morning aggravates
ANALYSIS OF THE CASE
The instructions I have to give relative to the cure of mental diseases may be confined to a very few remarks, as they are to be cured in the same way as all other diseases, namely, by a remedy which shows, by the symptoms it causes in the body and mind of a healthy individual, a power of producing a morbid state as similar as possible to the case of disease before us, and in no other way can they be cured.
( Samuel Hahnemann: Organon)
From Sankaran DeWise
Which are the most peculiar, intense, striking symptoms here?
Peculiar, intense, striking
The feeling that she is controlled by somebody else, beyond her will, some superhuman force
She is trying to control the situations
She felt underestimate d not payed enough -would return earlier
- Very competitive
- After coming back home – she felt that others are moving forward, she and her husband just stagnate
- Revengeful, if somebody offends her
- Sleeplessness, because of worry and anxiety
- When angry, she becomes hysterical, aggressive
- In a conflict, she does not give up easily
- She does not like to adapt to others
- Sometimes she is envious of others, having a feeling of inferiority
- She does not like changes
Central Theme – DOMINATION
Being dominated by father
She was dominated by her sister being aggressive with her
She felt dominated at workplace by one of her colleagues
In school – she could not fit in, being dominated by a girl
Causality, life circumstances
ANALYSIS OF THE CASE
ANIMAL KINGDOM THEMES
• By father
• By Colleague
• being left behind”
• With husband
VICTIM / AGGRESSOR
• Colleague from school
Reptile Subclass Qualities
- Competition and sensation of being left behind, underestimated
- Jelousy, envy
- Superior / inferior
- Loquacios, vivacious
Miasm : syphilitic
“Fear that they (the doctors) will not be able to calm me down”
“Fear of diseases ” “that I will never heal”
The burden is beyond her power
“feeling that she is controlled by somebody else, beyond her will, some superhuman force”
Mind Symptoms Reliable Repertory/ SHS
Repertorization – Mind Symptoms Radar 10
Repertorization – Physical Generals Radar 10
Differential Diagnosis Calc c. Arg-n. Sulphur Ign Nux-v.
All these remedies belong to Plant and Mineral Kingdom, and the Animal Kingdom Themes are verystrong in the case
First Follow Up after 1 month (08.10.2019)
- Her symptoms ameliorated a lot – 80 %, since she take the treatment. §She had no more panic attacks!
- The anxiety sometimes is there, when she overreacts to things
- She has no more morning sickness, no more sensation of constriction in epigastrum, no more choking.
- She does not feel underestimated anymore. §Her sleep improved also.
- She is no longer constipated. §Appetite very good
- She supports her pregnancy very well.
- Her libido increased, but she avoids sex, because she is worried for the baby. §She had 2 interesting dreams since she started the treatment:
- They are running away because some strangers are following them – they have seen them committing some crime and they don’t trust them.
- There was an interesting wedding of a person they know.
Second Follow Up – 8.11.2019.
- She feels better 100% §No more panic attacks
- She stopped taking the remedy, because she was feeling very good
Feedback from patient in July 2020 (after 10 months)
She delivered a healthy baby girl on April 18. Now she is a very happy mother. She wrote to me about her motherhood .
“This was all that I needed”. She sent me photos of the baby.
Rx: MM of Lachesis (2)
MATERIA MEDICA LACHESIS**
Snake remedy from:
SERPENTES Xenophida Viperidae
Crotalinae (Pit Vipers)
Lachesis muta (Bushmaster or Surucucu)
- The largest pit viper and the largest venomous snake in the Western Hemisphere (from the Brazilian rain forest)
- Homeopathically – the best known snake remedy §Loquacity and an ability to perform – pronounced §Jelousy – very powerful in Lachesis
- Cannot bear any form of restriction ( tight clothing) §Aversion to change – most extreme in Lachesis
- Change of season §Change of weather
- Change of life ( puberty and menopause)
- Worse for the sun and for the light → worse on waking §Has affinity to blood and hormones
- Destructive and syphilitic remedy – causing poisoning of the blood and of all the tissues, hemorrhagic nature
- The throat – most sensitiv to restriction §Strongly left -sided
( Peter Fraser – Transformation between the Realms – SNAKES – Drawing Power from the Underwold)
General characteristics of Snake remedies (1)
“ Their concern is with a world that is out of their control and which may destroy them.
Their reaction is to impose order and control on everything around them.
In the venomous snakes the feeling is that people are against them and their reaction is more subtle and more malicious.
………..Within the Vipers the Crotalinae, the Pit Vipers, are more paranoid and less able to deal with society than any of the other snake remedies. They are the most suspicious and the most malicious of the snakes.”
- The snakes are sensitive how people are around them
- They are clairvoyant
- Selfish group of remedies
- They tend to use the knowledge and power that they gain from their instinct in a way that will increase their power and put other people at a disadvantage.
- Periodicity of the symptoms is characteristic.
- Snake remedies DO NOT LIKE CHANGES – causative factor in both cases!
- Can present aggravation at pregnancy or delivery and anywhere that the patient must face a new situation, a new school or a new job ( in my cases new country/ new homeplace).
- Snakes are very quick animals – speak quickly, confused speech §Snakes are solitary animals
- They fight, retaliate or attack anyone who opposes them §Powerful sexual instinct
- They are masters of disguise – manipulative, charming, use their look ( rubric foppish – the meaning from Decoding Mental Rubrics by Dr. Gaurang Gaikwad)
- The important affinities are the throat, the blood and the hormones , nervous system
- Almost always constipated
( Peter Fraser – Transformation between the Realms – SNAKES – Drawing Power from the Underwold)
Snake alert words at the human level
- Themes of superior/ inferior
- Competition with the disadvantaged- one-upmanship
- Planning, calculative, scheming, plotting
- Loquacity, vivid, descriptive
- Clairvoyance, supernatural things
- Hear voices
- Split, two wills
- Lack of moral values
- Murder, kill
- Desire to be famous, recognized
- Glamour, fashion, advertising, show, appearance
- Agg. tight clothing
- Choking, throat sensitivity
( The Reptile – Rajan Sankaran with Meghna Shah)
“Healing is the end of conflict with yourself.” ( Stephanie Gailing)
- Peter Fraser – Transformation between the Realms – SNAKES – Drawing Power from the Underwold
- The Reptile – Rajan Sankaran with Meghna Shah
- Sankaran DeWise
- Gaurang Gaikwad – Decoding Mental Rubrics
- Dr. Erzsébet Túrós – Medical Astrology Course
- Synergy Homeopathic Software
- RADAR 10.0
Dr. Erzsébet Túrós MD, HOM