Hip pain is a common complaint that can arise due to various medical conditions. Hip joint is a ball and socket joint in which head of femur joins the acetabulum a part of pelvic bone. Hip pain can over that particular region of hip or may extend to back or thigh and may come from other regions as a referred pain. Pain mainly involves muscles, nerves, bones, joint contents etc.
Common causes of hip pain
- Arthritis – which include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout.
- Injury – can damage bones, ligament and cartilage that ultimately lead to severe joint pain.
- Infection – Any kind of infection to the joint may result in joint pain. May include tuberculous infection or pyogenic infection.
- Bursitis which ultimately leads to intense joint pain.
- Malignancy – Myeloma, metastatic carcinoma.
- Dislocation – Also causes severe joint pain.
- Hip fracture – caused due to sudden severe injury
- Referred pain – due to endometriosis or from lumber pain.
- Other causes – include hip strain, tendonitis, degenerative joints disease, osteonecrosis etc.
Diagnosis of Pain in Hip
- Complete physical examination – Include inspection of affected joint, movement, stiffness, tenderness, swelling and other important findings.
- Microscopic examination – Of joint fluid.
- X-ray – To diagnose fracture, osteoarthritis
- MRI, CT scan – To detect nerve compression. It can be done in the condition of long continued pain and to diagnose ligament rupture and other conditions
- MANTOUX TEST – To diagnose tuberculosis
- Blood tests – Include complete blood count, coagulation test, rheumatoid factor
- Bone scan – To detect developing malignant diseases and blood culture.
Treatment of Hip Pain
The treatment of hip pain depends upon its underlying cause.
Homeopathic treatment of hip pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach.
This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat hip pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for hip pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of hip pain:
- Bryonia Alba. – Pain with inflammation which, is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
- Ledum pal. – Excellent remedy for gout and rheumatism which is of ascending nature, better by cold application.
- Rhus Tox. – Pain aggravated by first movement, damp weather and better by continuous motion.
- Colocynth. – Excellent remedy for hip pain.
- Hypericum. – Remarkable remedy for rheumatoid arthritis has outstanding action over nerve pain.
- Calcaria Carb. – Arthritic swelling, joints pain especially in fleshy people which is worse by cold.
- Colchicum – pain worse by motion touch or mental effort, better by warmth and rest.
Allopathic treatment for hip pain – Include analgesics, anti-inflammatory, muscular relaxants. Surgery is applicable in some specific cases.
Other natural or alternative modes of treatment for hip pain – Include Physiotherapy, Ayurveda, Acupuncture, massage, yoga, acupressure.