This is an account of how Saideh Kerscher-Nasirbeygi treated her own son for Autism.
A brief background of Armin, born in June 2000.
Diagnosis: Kanner Syndrome from 24 months of age
He was breast-fed until the age of 18 months and developed normally until then, both physically and linguistically. He was vaccinated with the typical vaccination in Germany and showed no abnormal reaction to the vaccination. From his 18th month he ate normal food and gradually began to show the following symptoms:
- He became withdrawn and ceased talking.
- Stereotypic behaviour (stereotypic movement disorder) increased. For example, turning around, making objects rotate, going back and forth in his room.
- He became perfectionistic about strictly adhering to a daily routine.
Each day he became even more withdrawn than the day before. To get his attention was a difficult challenge for me. I was better able to approach him with melody and rhythmic language and rhymes. Not until the age of 4 (December 2004) was he able to say individual words again. But he forgot the words very quickly and was unable to communicate. He was like a stroke victim whose language centre in the brain was affected. In addition to all these symptoms, his breath had the smell of opium.
When he was 6 – at that time I was a layman – I had read a book by Hans-Ulrich Grimm, Die Ernährungslüge (“The Nutrition Deception”), and decided to switch him to a gluten-free and casein-free diet as recommended by the author.
From then on, day by day he was able to remember more and more words. But after six months a new problem emerged. The regrowth of his hair and nails was very slow, or almost non-existent, and he gradually developed an anxiety disorder and an obsessive-compulsive disorder. He had the feeling he was choking on his food, and he had forgotten how to swallow! It was very time-consuming to convince him that this was not the case. I took him off the diet temporarily and pureed his food in the blender. I searched desperately for support so that he would not have to be institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital. My search was successful. A blood test determined that he had a food intolerance, and this is what saved him.
After an adjustment to his diet, together with many dietary supplements, he recovered quickly. He was cooperative and showed great desire to become healthy. That strengthened my resolve to fight on and not give up.
His development progressed very well, helped not only by his new diet but also from speech-language therapy, behaviour therapy and occupational therapy.
Due to an overdose of vitamin B6 while on his special diet and taking supplements, Armin developed a series of illnesses that I will discuss in another article. After analysis of the vitamin status, and against the doctor’s advice, I stopped giving him vitamin B6. After a week the symptoms were partially gone and after six months they had disappeared completely.
He still had tantrums very often and his frustration tolerance was low. His memory was better, but not sufficient for school. The question arose as to which school would be suitable for him. After consideration of various possibilities, he was finally sent to the regular elementary school accompanied by a social worker. She was always at his side. Over the course of time I had also developed my professional skills and eventually attended the homeopathy academy. From May 2012, thanks to homeopathy, everything was turning in a positive direction.
- Weak memory
- Stereotypic movement disorder
- Low frustration tolerance
- Food intolerance
- Extreme constipation – once a week up to the age of 4, then daily at 7 p.m. Ritual!
- Sweating on the head and hands
- Mild neurodermatitis as a baby
- Seborrheic dermatitis on his head as a baby
- Eruptions on his ear lobes and behind the ears, up to 13 years of age
- Raw, coarse skin on his thighs and upper arms. Extremely dry skin.
- Bed wetting (enuresis nocturne) up to 10 years of age
- Allergic asthma
- Chronic otitis, frequent inflammation of the middle ear. He also had an anomaly, a constriction of the auditory canal and excessive formation of earwax. Due to the large quantity of earwax he had, and still has, a hearing impairment and a disturbing feeling of pressure on the ears, tonsillitis, sinusitis.
- Inability to concentrate
- Poor judgment of distance
- Uncoordinated hand and foot movements
- Impairment of fine and gross motor skills
- Excessive perfectionism, sometimes going as far as making him unable to work
- Guilt feelings
- Pollinosis at almost all times of the year
- Occasional absentmindedness, daydreaming
- Always wanted to hear the same stories again and again
- He always had to interrupt others while they were speaking, otherwise he would forget what he wanted to say
- The skin on his palms and the soles of his feet peeled off repeatedly
- Scaly formations under his skin, mainly on the chest and under the arms.
- Poems and rhymes were very easy for him to write as well as memorize.
- Sudden mood swings
- Feelings of tense anticipation in both pleasant and unpleasant situations, such as expecting a visit
- Fear of failure
- Fixations and obsessions
- Tics since the age of 2
- Clinging to rituals
- Aversion toward certain people. He always completely forgot these people after meeting them. Even if he met them again, he would completely forget them again later. On the other hand he was affectionate towards certain other people even if he hadn’t had any contact with them for years.
- Intentionally injuring and hurting himself (he seldom did this, but said that pain acts as a relief from humiliation)
- Considerate toward everyone; when he thought he had unjustly insulted someone, he showed abnormally strong feelings of remorse (his entire body would shake).
- Fear of crowds, for example he still has strong resistance against taking the train or going downtown.
When we are outdoors, Armin keeps his eyes on the ground because he cannot tolerate any great number of people. Hence he is still today reliant on a guide.
He is easily overwhelmed, whereupon he falls into a deep silence and becomes sad and resigned. Sometimes he erupts in anger, his body shakes, he swears, sobs, throws things and so on. In such situations everything in the world becomes meaningless and unnecessary for him.
He used to require extra space in school in order to do school assignments. He also needed much more time to complete the assignment, and required clarifications of particular words that explained the assignment. Even today, 50% more time is still not enough for him.
Living with an autistic person is an art. One has to be prepared to show resolve in any situation and do the right thing. I always have to explain to Armin how the world works and how the school system works but not making it seem important; the most important thing in the world is his equanimity and cheerfulness.
Now I would like to begin describing Armin’s treatment since April 2012:
I would like to add that I was myself a beginner in homeopathy, and as homeopaths know, one is always a beginner in this subject even after years of experience!
April 2012: Barium Carbonicum – cardinal symptoms that may have applied well to Armin:
Lack of self-confidence, indecisiveness, retarded development both mentally and physically, recurrent swelling of the tonsils, tonsillitis, swelling of the glands.
Armin was almost 12. I gave him Barium Carbonicum c 30, because his development was not keeping pace with his peers. In the first week he got worse. It was quite bad, as if he was going through a metamorphosis. He had all the symptoms at once, for an entire week. Shrieking, crying, hitting himself, turning round and round, repeating sentences over and over and so on. Then a significant positive change began.
May 2012 : Silicea terra– cardinal symptoms that applied to Armin.
Mental exhaustion, lack of self-confidence, oversensitivity toward noises, sinusitis, otitis, tonsillitis, tendency to faint, sense of inferiority, sensitive, constipation, being very structured.
He received silicea terra 200c because of his abnormal structure in all situations! Tense anticipation and anxiety! Clinging to rituals, perfectionism, lack of self-confidence, pangs of remorse and guilt feelings. Physically: (chronic sinusitis) and (chronic otitis media) and scaly formations under his skin, pollinosis. Armin then showed much more positive reactions, especially physically. He was not as vulnerable as before.
June 2012, Sulphur “The King of Psora” – cardinal symptoms that I noticed with Armin:
Mal-digestion, mal-assimilation, all the digestive organs, serous membranes of the stomach and intestinal tract, of the bronchia, effect on the reticuloendothelial system, effect on glands, sinusitis, otitis, tonsillitis, asthma, pollinosis, emaciation, facial expression looks old, foetid breath.
Disposition: Apathetic, regards everything from a fixed point of view, aversion to intellectual work, laughs about serious issues, anxiety about his health, feels he has committed a crime, inability to concentrate when reading learning etc. He had poor memory for names, for what he said, for what he wanted to say, for words; confused and fuzzy in the head about his identity; aversion to nearness, to obligations, aversion to the opposite sex (for the last few years very visible due to loathing), hysteria, rage; severe, about his mistakes, alternates quickly with remorse. Crying for the most insignificant reasons or for no reason at all, melancholy, weariness with life.