To practice this method one must have knowledge of existing rubrics in the repertory, especially rubrics given in Kent’s repertory. Thereafter one should look for their clinical meaning in a dictionary. (For that we have already published the clinical dictionary named Pathfinder).
After we get the feeling of the patient expressed through different versions we interpret and convert it into the rubric. One must keep in mind that a version given by a patient to express his problem can be identical to another patient’s version. So while observing and listening our focus should be on the way patients are expressing their feelings i.e. How, Why, What and When they are saying or doing in front of you. Another thing is that, there could be different expressions for a particular rubric or there could be an identical expression for different rubrics having minute differences between them.
The next point to understand is the expression of different remedies given under one rubric. No doubt they carry similar meaning but clinically it is very important that we should know how to differentiate one medicine from the other. A patient will speak or act in a simple manner about his or her feeling. So practically, while selecting the medicine, it is not easy to find out in a short time to which medicine our patient belongs. To really differentiate between all the medicines it will take a long time. Due to such difficulties physicians ignore many rubrics, which have many drugs under them.
With R.M. it is possible to do it. For example under the rubric DELUSIONS, wealth imagination of , we have medicines such as: Agn., Alco., Belladonna, Calcarea, Cann-i., Kali.br., Nit.ac., Phosphorus, Platina, Pyrog., Sulphur, Veratrum By simply paying attention to the feeling expressed by a patient about what he imagines is his wealth (mentioned by him in a few words) there is enough for us to understand and differentiate which remedy he belongs to.
Agn. cast : He is at no loss so there is no danger to his possession.
Alco : She is gainer in all respects, so she has no threat even from an enemy.
Bell : His mobility is his wealth.
Calc : He is independent
Cann. Ind. : All are his friends and he has no one to owe anything to.
Kali Brom : His wealth is his possession of knowledge.
Acid nitricum : His wealth is affection
Phos : His wealth is his self sufficiency.
Platina : Self sufficiency.
Pyrog. : Considers himself so big and rich that he is capable of possessing the whole world.
Sul. : Hope is his wealth
Veratrum: His communication with God.
Given below are some versions, which we commonly hear from our patient in day-to-day practice.
If your patient says:
1. I have not taken my skin problem very seriously. I thought it would get better on its own. Yesterday I saw that it increased further. Seeing that, I got scared, and I immediately decided that I must visit the doctor before it increases further.”
INDIFFERENCE complain, does not
FEAR extravagance, of
2. I did not notice when this patch appeared on my hand. Laughingly says, “Actually I am careless about myself. I wonder why I did not notice it though I use my hand every day. It was only when my mother / friend asked me about this patch that I realized about it.”
LAUGHING speaking, when
3. Since many days, I have been feeling some heaviness over my chest. I did not care about it. I consider it as a normal complaint of acidity or flatulence, and for that reason I did not think of telling / visiting the doctor. A couple of days ago, by chance, while I was reading a medical journal I came across an article in which I read that heaviness of chest could be related to heart problem. Then, one day while talking with my friend about it, he also told me the same thing. Although I do not get scared so easily, but this time I got a bit scared of getting some serious problem. I thought that I must visit a good doctor. I have a feeling that by neglecting it I might have created a problem for myself. I think that with the present problem now you have to take care of that problem (occurred due to negligence) also. Do you think that it is related to heart or it is a flatulence problem? Because I am not able to understand what is it?INDIFFERENCE complain, does not
COMPLAINING supposed injury, of
FEAR betrayed, of being
GROPING as if in the dark
4. Doctor please take care that I am not put through any suffering (pain), I am afraid of it.
Dr.: Why are you so afraid of it?
P.: Because in such condition it becomes difficult for me to move / do anything. I have to lie down which I do not like. Physically as well as work-wise I have to suffer then.
FEAR suffering, of
5. I am at a dead end. I cannot fight anymore. I have accepted defeat. There is no use pursuing the treatment anymore as I feel it is not going to make any difference to my problem. I did not want to come to you. It is only on the insistence of my wife I have come to you.
6. I want to get rid of this condition even if it is achieved by death. I feel so bored. I want to get out of this routine. I feel as if I am in a prison.
7. I want that no one should disturb me. Neither there should be any activity around me nor I would be involved in any sort of activity.
DISTURBED, averse to being
QUIET, wants to be
8. I have a feeling that the main cause of my not getting better and always getting one or the other trouble is because of intolerable environment, people, circumstances, family members around me.
DELUSIONS injury, injured, surroundings, by his
9. Frankly I must tell you that I have no faith in any medicine.
P.: Whatever I am going through today is only because of medicines.
Dr.: How can you say this?
P. Before I took medicines I had only one problem. After taking medicine, I developed so many other problems. I have a feeling that the doctor did not handle my case properly. He gave me wrong / strong medicine, which has spoiled my life. Now I cannot eat, sleep or work properly.
DELUSIONS, wrong suffered, has
10. Please do not disclose my problem to any one in family. I do not want that someone should know about my problem. Till now no one except my mother/ father/ wife/ husband/ children know about it. Though I did not want my mother/ father/ wife/ husband / children to know about it but somehow it got disclosed. I take utmost care not to appear like I have some problem.
11. Doctor I wish that no one should know about my problem. I do not like it. Actually I am not afraid of it but I would not like people ask about it. Once they come to know they begin to ask stupid/ irrelevant questions about it. I want to keep myself away from such hassles.
HIDE, desire to
12. I am an open person but there are certain personal matters (emotions, deeds, acts, problems etc.) which I think no one should know about. Before coming to you I decided thought that I will not tell you about my personal matters (emotion, deed/ act, etc.) but I do not know how I told you about them.
13. I have taken many treatments for my problem but nothing has given me any relief. I do not see any ray of hope now. For this reason I have no more desire/ enthusiasm left in me to take any more treatment. I have come to you but I do not feel that my condition will get any better.
DESPAIR recovery, of
14. Doctor I have tried many treatments without any refractory results. Now I doubt will I ever get better. Perhaps I will have to live like this for the whole of my life.
DOUBTFUL recovery, of
15. Now, since the attack has come I am finding ways to get out of it.
ESCAPE, attempts to
16. Doctor you will not believe it, but I have a feeling that someone has been doing something mysterious to me.
Dr.: What do you mean by mysterious?
P.: Something like black magic.
Dr.: How can you say that?
P.: You will not believe it, but I have a strong belief that there is something, or how could I always be getting one or other problem, and no medicine works on me. Because of this I have developed a fear that I am not going to get better unless the effect of such a thing wears off.