The kidneys are the vital organs of our body that filter waste products from the body. Sometimes there is deposition of mineral made up of calcium, uric acid and amino acid crysteine causes kidney stones.
Several factors increases the risk for developing kidney stones, including inadequate fluid intake and dehydration, reduced urinary volume etc. anything that blocks or reduces the flow of urine also increases the risk.
- Organisms such as proteus, pseudomonas, and klebsiella produce recurrent UTI. These organisms produce urea and cause stasis of urine which precipitate stone formation. Nucleus of the stone may harbor these bacteriae.
- Causes increase in concentration of solutes, resulting in precipitation of calcium which forms calcium oxalate stones.
- Diet rich in red meat, fish, eggs, can give rise to aciduria.
- Diet rich in calcium, tomatoes, milk, and spinach produce calcium oxalate stones.
- Diet lacking in vitamin A causes desquamation of renal epithelium which precipitates calcium and alters it and kidney stones formation occurs.
- Hyperthyroidism increases serum calcium levels resulting in hypercalcinosis and pelvic stones.
- Gout increases uric acid levels and causes multiple uric acid kidney stones.
- Paraplegic patients secrete large amounts of calcium in the urine resulting in calcium oxalate kidney stones.
Inadequate urinary drainage
- As in case of hoarse shoe kidney, unascended kidneys are more vulnerable for development of stones due to stasis.
Clinical features of kidney stones
- Severe pain in the side, back, below the ribs
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blood in urine or haematuria
- Reduced urinary tract infection
- Guarding and rigidity of the back and abdominal muscles during attack of severe pain
- Constant desire to urinate.
- Painful urination along with burning sensation
- Fever and chills when infection occurs
Investigations for kidney stones
Blood urea and creatinine – to rule out renal failure
Plain X-ray KUB – to diagnose kidney stones, 90% of the kidney stones are radio-opaque
Enlarged renal shadow can be seen
Diagnosis of the stone and size can be made out
Exact location of the stone can be made out
To locate the kidney stones exactly in relation to kidney and ureter and to asses renal function
Urine culture and sensitivity
Homeopathic treatment of kidney stones
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat kidney stones but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for kidney stones treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for the treatment of kidney stones:
Berberis vulgaris: excellent remedy for kidney stones, there are radiating pains from the kidney to bladder. Pain from the kidney to bladder. Pain from the kidney extends along the ureter or to liver, stomach, spleen, arresting breathing. Bubbling sensation in the region of the kidney. Frequent urination with the sensation as if some urine is left behind. Urine is thick mucus, and bright red, turbid, yellow or sandy.
Calcaria Carb – acts very well in cases of kidney stones, irritable bladder, incontinence while walking, urine is dark, brown sour, foul, or of strong odor. White urinary sediment with white milky urine, at times bloody.
Sarsaparilla – remarkable remedy for kidney stones, pain from the right kidney downwards. Urging to urinate before menses. There is severe pain at the conclusion of urination. Child screams before passing the urine; kidney colic and painful urination in children. Can pass urine only when standing and dribbles when sitting.
Urtica Urens – kidney stones with thick urine
Natrum Phos – has excellent action over oxalate stones.
China sulph – acts very well in cases of kidney stones when there is brick dust or straw – yellow deposits in the urine
Ocimum Can – agonizing and twisting pain which makes the patient scream and groan. Red urine with brick dust or white sediments. Urine turbid, red and bloody.
Lycopodium – excellent remedy for right sided kidney stones, red sand in urine, complaints may associate with flatulence in abdomen.