Muscle pain is described as aching and cramping in the muscles, also known as myalgia. It is a common complaint which can involve one or more than one muscle at the same time. Muscle pain can also involve surrounding tissues. Musculoskeletal disorders are a major problem nowadays, which impact the individual’s quality of life.
Common causes of muscle pain
- Injury or trauma – any kind of injury to the muscle can cause mild to severe muscle aching. Sprains and strains are the most common cause of muscle pain.
- Overuse or overstretching – causes damage to the muscle fibers. Pain and fatigue in muscles after strenuous exercise is very common.
- Fibromyalgia – is a non-specific disorder with vague pains in joints and muscles. It is often related to mental or emotional stress.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – It is often a sequel of a viral infection but is also related to stress.
- Muscle cramps – cramps, which can occur due to causes varying from dehydration to mineral deficiency, often lead to pain in the affected muscles.
- Flu – Myalgia is a common symptom of flu and flu-like illnesses.
- Polio – caused due to infection from polio virus has special affinity for nerves.
- Malaria – parasitic infection in which there is muscle pain with high fever and intense chill.
- Myopathy – it is a disease of muscles in which there is aching of muscles along with weakness.
- Hyperthyroidism – with muscular weakness and weight loss.
- Rabies – severe CNS infection causes muscle pain along with stiffness.
- Arthritis – important cause of muscular pain along with joints.
- Tetanus – disease caused by infection of bacteria Clostridium tetani causes severe muscle pain with twitching, stiffness and spasm.
- Dengue fever – viral infection in which muscle pain occurs along with high fever.
- Typhoid fever – infection caused due to salmonella typhi, muscle pain with fever, headache, malaise and many other symptoms.
- Muscle abscess – pain along with inflammation and collection of pus.
Diagnosis of muscle pain
A diagnosis entirely depends upon condition and causation. The most common tests include a complete haemogram, including mineral analysis, thyroid tests
Treatment of muscle pains
Homeopathic treatment of muscle pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for muscle pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are following homeopathic medicines which cover muscle pain:
Rhus tox, Bryonia, Arnica, Causticum, Calcarea carb, Causticum, Cimicifuga, Cuprum met, Gelsemium, Hypericum, Magnesia phos, Plumbum met, Calcarea phos, Ignatia, Natrum mur and various other medicines.
The most common remedy used for muscle trauma is Arnica montana. As a homeopathic remedy, Arnica can be taken internally, in pellet form, to work more deeply on the trauma that is held in the muscles. It is especially useful when an accident or other traumatic event has occurred. Cramps resulting from too much exercise or over exertion caused by muscle fatigue feels worse with heat, light pressure and prolonged movement.
Another common homeopathic remedy for muscle pain is Rhus toxicodendron, which is used for stiffness that gets better once the client gets moving and when weather has an effect on the degree of pain. Rhus toxicodendron is often used to relieve pain in the joints, and works well on healing ligament strains. The Rhus toxicodendron client feels very restless and wants the stiffness and reaction to cold damp weather to improve quickly. Stiffness on waking caused by immobility. Feels better with prolonged gentle movement and warmth. Feels worse after sleeping or resting and in cold damp weather.
Bryonia is the homeopathic remedy that has symptoms opposite the Rhus toxicodendron remedy. Here, the client tries to stay as still as possible, since even the slightest motion makes the pain worse. These people tend to be very irritable and grumpy, not wanting to be touched, even though pressure on the point of pain often helps. Bryonia is indicated when there is hardness of muscle groups and headaches are common. Another indication for this remedy is when warmth makes the pain worse and cool applications feel better.
Causticum is another homeopathic remedy for soreness, weakness and stiffness in the muscles that is worse from cold and/or overuse. Pain is also worse when the weather is dry and tends to be better in rainy weather. The muscles in the legs feel contracted, tight and sore, with restlessness at night. The forearms are weak, even though they are also stiff. These clients feel better in a warm bed or warm shower.
Gelsemium is a remedy for muscle pains when the limbs feel heavy, dull and lethargic. Headaches occur in the back of the head and neck, and there may be dizziness. This remedy is indicated when there is a low-grade fever with much aching, similar to having the flu all of the time. Gelsemium is also designated when symptoms are worse in damp, cold, or warm and wet weather, or after exertion.
Cimicifuga is a homeopathic remedy to use when there are spasms in the large muscle groups, the body feels sore and bruised all over, and there may be jerking and twitching of the muscles. The spine feels sensitive, and there is pain especially in the back, neck and shoulders. The myalgia clients that would benefit from Cimicifuga feel better with warmth and pressure, and feel worse with touch, motion, cold applications and during their menstrual cycle.
Hypericum is a homeopathic remedy that helps heal nerve pain. It is especially useful when there is numbness or tingling in the extremities, or radiating pain from one area to another. Hypericum is useful for the unbearable prickly pain that radiates along nerve pathways, is worse with movement, and worse when touched. It can be beneficial when depression is an associated symptom of muscle pains.
Cuprum met has muscle soreness with spasms of muscles.
Muscle Pain Cases Cured With Homeopathic Medicine
Muscle Wasting (Sarcopenia) of the Upper Body Cured with Salt – by Karl Robinson
A Chronic Case of Aconitum Napellus – by Carmel Karty
A Case of Endometriosis – by Kiran Shanbag
Case Study: Teenager with Chikungunya Virus – by Beverley Brown
Arnica and Past Traumas How Far Back Can We Heal Such Traumas? – by Manon Larose
Homeopathic Facial Analysis (HFA) Solves a Pediatric case – by Rose Mahovsky
Body pain during sleep at night better with movement next morning
I have full body pain all over except hair what to do sleepless night since 4 yrs what is cause .
I am suffering pain in the right arm upper are. I can not move the hand back side and also feel pain In both thie (jaang) on upper area of the front side.pl suggest homeopathy medicine and advice.
Dr Bhatia, Thank you for this and other informative articles about using homeopathy effectively. I practice in Italy. Your articles remind me of best known remedies as well as the lesser-known ones that address specific issues.