Knee joint is the most complicated weight bearing joint of the body which provides movements to us like walking, sitting, standing, running and possesses structures like bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons nerves that supplies the sensation.
Causes of knee pain
- Arthritis – which include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout.
- Injury – As it is the most responsible joint of the body so there is increase risk of injury which, can damage to bone, ligament and cartilage that ultimately leads to severe knee pain.
- Infection – Any kind of infection to the knee joint may result in knee pain.
- Obesity and advanced age – Both are very common cause of knee pain.
- Overuse – Overuse of knee joint can cause bursitis which ultimately leads to intense knee pain.
- Sprain- Due to sudden unnatural movements causes pain as well as restriction of movement of the knee joint.
- Dislocation of the knee cap – Also causes severe knee pain.
- Other causes – Include Sarcoidosis, Sickle cell anemia, Lupus, Kawasaki disease, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative colitis, bone tumors, bleeding disorders etc.
General symptoms associated with knee pain
Diagnosis of Knee Pain
- Complete physical examination – Include inspection of knee while walking, standing, lying, examination of abdomen tenderness which is usually present in Ulcerative colitis and Chron’s disease.
- Microscopic examination – Of joint fluid or synovial fluid
- X-ray knee – To diagnose fracture, osteoarthritis
- MRI – to detect ligament rupture and other conditions
- MANTOUX TEST – To diagnose tuberculosis
- Blood tests – Include complete blood count, coagulation test, and blood culture.
- Urine test – Mainly for blood, sugar and protein, uric acid for the diagnosis of Gout
Treatment of Knee Pain
Homeopathic treatment – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homoeopathy is not only to remove the symptom of knee pain but to cure its underlying cause. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for knee pain that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the knee pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person.
- Bryonia Alba. – Pain with inflammation which, is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
- Ledum pal. – Excellent remedy for gout and rheumatism which is of ascending nature, better by cold application.
- Rhus Tox. – Pain aggravated by first movement, damp weather and better by continuous motion.
- Colchicum – pain worse by motion touch or mental effort, better by warmth and rest.
- Kalmia lot. – descending type of pain, pain with palpitation of heart and slow pulse
- Guaiacum. – Gouty abscesses of joints, pain relieved by cold bath and cold application.
- Calcaria Carb. – Arthritic swelling, knee pain especially in fleshy people which is worse by cold.
- Benzoic acid – gouty concretions of joints, knee pain due to abnormal deposition of uric acid
- Hypericum. – Remarkable remedy for rheumatoid arthritis, knee contracted, has outstanding action over nerve pain.
- Lachesis. – Rheumatic pain in knee along with swelling.
- Silicea. – knee pain as if too tightly bound
Allopathic treatment – Include analgesics, NSAIDs, muscular relaxants. Surgery is applicable in cases of lumber disc herniation, degeneration disc disease etc.
Other effective modes of treatment – Include Physiotherapy, Acupuncture, massage, yoga, acupressure.