The more you know about homeopathy, the more successful your outcome will be!
The problem is that mainstream medicine has made us lazy. We’re asked to do nothing but take the medicine, follow directions. Other than that, our participation is not needed. We come to a homeopath and expect the same thing. Well, not so, as I will soon explain. What I’ve done here is recount all the mistakes I’ve seen people make so that you will not become one of them!
First comes the disclaimer: Homeopathy may not cure your case. I know that should seem obvious, just like aspirin doesn’t cure every headache; but, people tend to cut orthodox medicine all the slack in the world when it fails, but not us! So, why can homeopathy fail? Here are some of the reasons:
1. The remedy you need may not be in existence yet. What I mean by that is, homeopathic remedies are mostly made out of plants and minerals. Think of all the plant species that exist in the world, do you think they’ve all been made into homeopathic remedies? No, not even close. I had a client once who developed a horrible rash from weeding her garden. We tried all the logical plant remedies and they didn’t work! “Make a remedy out of the weed!” I told her. See, that weed was never made into a commercial homeopathic remedy but it was the only thing that cured that case. And this is a perfect example of how we ask more or our patients than standard medicine does. See my article “How To Make Your Own Remedy”, which is on my website: www.ElaineLewis.hpathy.com.
2. The patient may be over-sensitive to homeopathic remedies and over-react to them in just the same way that people can over-react to drugs. There are a lot of environmentally sensitive/allergic people out there, and they over-react to just about everything. These are people whose immune system has been overwhelmed by poisons–pharmaceuticals, pesticides, mold, chemicals–and everything you try to do for them, it seems, just makes them worse!
3. The patient may not appreciate that the homeopath needs different types of information than the doctor needs and may think our questionnaire asks a lot of irrelevant questions and so doesn’t bother answering them fully, if at all! If we don’t get responsive and appropriate answers to our questions, we can’t help you!
4. The patient may be too embarrassed to tell the whole truth when filling out the questionnaire.
5. Patients often report that the remedy isn’t working when it actually is! The problem lies in not knowing what to look for after a remedy is given. For example, you give a child a remedy and he falls inexplicably right to sleep. To us, that’s a cause for celebration! To the parent, it’s a cause for alarm! “What happened here?! The child has fallen dead asleep from being wide awake a second ago!” The next thing you know, the parent has taken the child to the hospital, the child gets drugs, and the case is lost!
6. The patient gets discouraged when the first remedy fails and decides not to see you anymore. The first remedy failing happens a lot! There’s a big adjustment period in the beginning of treatment with homeopathy, the patient may have withheld information, thinking it irrelevant; the practitioner may have failed to understand what was really bothering the patient in the first session. Figure on giving homeopathy some time before deciding that it doesn’t work.
7. The patient presents with numerous diagnoses, drug side-effects and chronic pathologies. Such cases really require patience. You shouldn’t expect a single remedy to cure everything in this case all at once.
8. Auto-immune disease can be very hard to cure; everything seems to make the patient with auto-immune disease, or end-stage disease in general, worse; even carrot juice can make him worse. I’ve often said: The only thing that homeopathy can absolutely cure is an acute disease or injury. Once you let a condition just sit and sit, and alter it with suppressive drugs and toxic treatments like radiation and steroids, your possibility of cure becomes less and less certain.
9. Patients are often unwilling to change their life-styles or taper off the drugs that are causing their problems in the first place.
10. Patients are often unwilling to buy a homeopathy emergency kit, with the excuse that they already “have remedies at home”; and invariably, they get sick, a cough, etc., and the homeopath says, “Take Spongia,” and the patient says, “I don’t have Spongia. I’ll buy it tomorrow.” Just because you need a remedy now, doesn’t mean you’ll need the same remedy tomorrow! Cases change, they get worse. Your homeopath can only help you if you have remedies!
11. At the first sign of a relapse, instead of informing the homeopath, the patient assumes that the remedy has failed, homeopathy has failed, homeopathy can’t help, and goes right to the doctor and gets put back on drugs, when all that was necessary was for the potency to be raised or the remedy repeated! Relapses are not unusual, the need to adjust the potency and frequency of dose goes with the territory.
12. And now the last, and maybe most troubling reason why homeopathy can fail is that all homeopaths are not equal. In fact, in some countries, anyone can call himself a homeopath, or any doctor can claim to do homeopathy, or naturopaths who had a smattering of homeopathy at naturopathic school feel entitled to prescribe homeopathic remedies much as they might prescribe herbs, and all of these types are capable of making homeopathy look really bad! The public, of course, has no way of knowing that they’re not seeing a “real” homeopath. To address this problem, I’ve written an article called “Shopping for a Homeopath” which you might want to read.
The more our patients know about homeopathy, the better our results are, for the simple reason that it’s better to have two people working on a case than just one!
To begin with, you have to be willing to buy a home remedy kit or we just won’t be able to manage your case! You know, it’s like, your medical doctor assumes that all his patients have certain things in their medicine cabinet: aspirin, tylenol, motrin, bandaids, cough syrup, nose drops and other things commonly associated with allopathic practice so that when he tells you to take an aspirin, he assumes you’re going to be able to do that, that you’re not going to say, “What’s an Aspirin? Where do I get it?” We would like to be able to make the same assumption! When you call us and say, “I have a dry cough, I sound like a seal barking,” I would like to be able to think that if I say, “Take Spongia,” you’ll be able to do that! How can you work with a homeopath if you have no remedies? But you would be surprised how many of my clients have no remedies besides the one I gave them!
It’s also important that you read my articles on case management, like this one and
“Homeopathy: Frequently Asked Questions”
And, as stated above, here’s the other thing you’ll need: A 30C Emergency Kit
which you can order from www.a2zhomeopathy.com and other places as well, I’m sure; and you’ll need an acute prescribing book to go with it. In fact, most people have more than one acute prescribing book.
How else will you know what remedy to take in the middle of the night when you get sick?
Some of you will say, “Can’t I just take Motrin or Tylenol?” Since when has Motrin or Tylenol cured anything? These “medicines” are palliative at best, they don’t cure; and in fact, they don’t even palliate that well! Wouldn’t you prefer an absolute cure where you could say, “A few minutes ago I was sick, then 10 minutes later, I was well! It was a miracle!” That’s what you get with homeopathy!
The acute prescribing book I recommend is: Homeopathy: an A to Z Home Handbook by Alan Schmukler, available at www.amazon.com
Rx drug use? That just makes my job harder. I not only have the complaint to worry about but the damage your drugs are causing, which could be immense! The goal of any homeopath should be to get his patients off drugs. They are addicting and make you worse. According to JAMA, correctly prescribed Rx drugs cause over 100,000 deaths per year and literally millions of injuries and secondary diseases. Here’s a typical scenario: You go for your annual check-up. Your blood pressure is slightly elevated, 140/85–and maybe only because you’re nervous about seeing your doctor. Immediately you’re put on the full array of blood pressure medicines, drugs that can cause fainting, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, loss of minerals, muscle cramps, frequent urination, dehydration, etc. for a minor issue that could have been cleared up with diet and Transcendental Meditation. This panoply of prescriptions will be the beginning of a downward spiral in your health and well-being, it’s like when you hire an inept contractor for renovations and suddenly nothing in your house works!
Likewise, I’ve see people whose whole lives have been ruined by the medical profession trying to make “repairs”, and then the homeopath is suddenly expected to “fix” this all at once. I had a client not too long ago whose entire case, everything that was wrong with her, including irregular heart beat and trouble breathing, was caused by her prescription drugs–and this is more the rule than the exception. The whole case!
In general, the more drugs you’re on and have been on all your life, including vaccinations–which are drugs too– the less clear your treatment plan is. By all rights, every case a homeopath sees should be an acute case–an injury, a virus, a case of bad food or water, where the remedy image is clear and easily identified. In this way, no situation ever goes chronic. This is the way homeopathy is meant to work, the way it does work; but unfortunately, the average case we see is a chronic case–a tangled web of pathologies.
Keep in mind that no drug can be stopped suddenly without putting your life in danger! There’s gotta be something wrong with a healing method that you literally can’t stop! It’s like those Chinese handcuffs, do you remember them as a kid? They’re long, thin tubes, you put your left index finger in one end and your right index finger in the other end, and you try to pull your fingers out but the more you pull, the more you’re stuck! Or that Roach Motel? “Bugs check in, but they don’t check out!” You know, if your medical system is a Roach Motel? Stay out of it!
I point this out to help you gain a perspective on your case and how much work is involved for the homeopath. It’s almost as if, in order to get well, you have to forget everything you learned and believed in about health and disease–because most of it is a lie! Doctors are lying constantly because they need you to keep coming back, to make a regular customer out of you! They say, “There’s no cure for that, you’ll have to be on drugs for the rest of your life!” Or, “Nobody knows what causes that; it’s idiopathic.” They’re lying, self-serving lies for the sake of “practice-building”.
In fact, your mission is to do what Dr. Timothy Leary suggested over 40 years ago, namely: “Drop Out“! Drop out of Pop Culture! Popular culture has become lethal! Correctly prescribed prescription drugs are now the 4th leading cause of death in America (JAMA, Apr.,1998) and convenience “food” is filled with addictive substances like sugar, MSG and other chemicals that actually cause the body to lose nutrients! If I may set an example here, almost nothing I buy is advertised on TV. My laundry soap, dish liquid, shampoo, deodorant, skin lotion, food, etc., all come from either the health food store or the farmer’s market. There is no “corporate” food or hair-care products here. And the milk I buy? Straight the way it comes from the cow: Raw.
You can buy unprocessed milk, also called “raw milk”, though admittedly it may take a little effort on your part. See www.RealMilk.com. Milk was no more meant to be boiled (pasteurized) and homogenized than orange juice. Why are people drinking boiled orange juice? All bottled juice has been boiled and processed and bears no relationship to real juice! Squeeze the oranges yourself, for heaven’s sake! That’s the only way to have real orange juice.
When you pick up a food item and there are a hundred ingredients on the label that you can’t pronounce? Don’t buy it!
Look at this label, I’ll show you a trick they use. Notice the number-one ingredient is corn. Do you know why corn is the number-one ingredient? Because if all the sugar hadn’t been added in under different names, SUGAR would be the number-one ingredient in this food! This is what they do, they divide up the sugar so the food item looks healthier than it really is! The number two ingredient on this label is “sugar”. The number three ingredient is “corn syrup” (aka, Sugar!) and on the fourth row, we have “fructose” (Sugar!). Now, if you add all this sugar together, you can see that, clearly, sugar is the main ingredient in this product! Can you imagine feeding your child sugar for breakfast? “Wait darling, eat your sugar!” No one would do that! But that’s what you are doing! On top of that, there are artificial flavors, artificial colors and preservatives in there–a complete disgrace for something that wants to be considered “food”!
You must start reading labels.
Most people would be shocked to hear that a change in diet from processed food, like the cereal shown above, to whole foods (real foods), and a change from white flour products to whole grains, would make most of their health problems go away! Imagine that!
Go to www.Mercola.com and sign up for Dr. Mercola’s free newsletter so you can get the latest news on natural healing.
Now, to get back to homeopathy and mistakes patients make in managing their cases, I’ll just list a few of them:
1. “No, I didn’t wait to get your instructions, I followed the instructions on the remedy bottle!”
The instructions on the remedy bottle don’t mean anything, just ignore them. If you have a practitioner, you have to do what the practitioner says. I had a client once whose baby had some health issue, and I told her to order Calc-carb, and she never told me when the remedy came in, she just started dosing from the directions on the bottle, and I only wanted the baby to have ONE dose; but, she was dosing like 3 times a day, and the baby got well, then got worse, and I said, “You overdosed him!” “But that’s what the bottle said to do!” she said.
2. “I haven’t been in touch with you because the remedy stopped working.”
We expect this to happen! This is normal! The potency only has to be slightly raised periodically to keep the case going. Here is an explanation of this phenomenon, something I call:
Homeopathy As Orthodontia
When your teeth are crooked, you see an orthodontist who puts braces on them and tightens the wires slightly each visit to move your teeth to a better position. If he tightened them hard, all at once, the pain (“aggravation”) would be so severe that you would never want to see a homeopath/orthodontist ever again! But, you must understand that your teeth are unwilling to be moved! They may be crooked but they are USED to it and want to stay that way; so, they try to revert back to their original spot at every opportunity. It is at this point that the orthodontist has to twist the wires a little bit harder (“raise the potency”, so to speak) and now a constant battle ensues, a struggle between the teeth which want to revert back, and the orthodontist who wants them to adjust to a new position. Even at the end of treatment, your orthodontist is so sure that your teeth are going to try to revert back that he fits you with a retainer so they won’t have the chance to do so.
In homeopathic treatment, this kind of “push-pull” will be evident to you. You’ll say, “The remedy stopped working!” No, no, it is simply time to “tighten the wires”– i.e., dose more often or raise the potency because your body is accustomed to its chronic disease and tries to keep relaxing into it. It needs constant pushing going forward! It’s like trying to get your child up on a Saturday morning, if you leave the room, he’s going to go right back to sleep! You have to keep prodding! It’s the same thing with dosing, if you don’t keep pushing the complaint to move, it will go right back to where it was!
Homeopathy As Riding a Bicycle
Another metaphor for homeopathic case management is riding a bike. The idea is to get up to speed so you can coast, and by “coasting”, we mean stop dosing when you start feeling well, unless and until you start slowing down. Try to keep from slowing down so much that you fall off and crash! Who falls off? People who know their case is relapsing but don’t redose! But you can also fall off from too much dosing! (Going too fast.) You need to avoid both underdosing and overdosing. Just like riding a bike, you need to find the balance in the middle, so that your case is always coasting.
Here’s how this is done. To manage a case, the remedy must be in water! Drop a dry pellet or two into a small bottle of spring water. A case cannot be managed if you can’t adjust the dose! Certainly one way of adjusting is to add more water for sensitive patients who seem to aggravate from everything! Lowering or raising the number of succussions is another way to adjust the dose. Taking just a sip instead of a swallow is another way. Rote repetition of dry pellets will ultimately result in a “proving” or an aggravation!