Are you looking for a homeopathic cure for dentition? This article discusses the homeopathy treatment of dentition along with the best homeopathic medicine for dentition treatment.
Dentition/ Teething refers to the development and arrangement of teeth in mouth.
- It is the by which an infant’s first teeth sequentially appear.
- Appears in pair.
- In human there are two successions of teeth hence named as diphyodont.
The 1st set called “deciduous teeth Milk teeth” or primary teeth erupt between the 6-30 months of age, they are 20 in number. By 6 years or so these tooth have outlined their usefulness Hence, they are shed off (in more or less the same sequence in which they erupted) from age of 6-6 years and up to about 10-12 years of age.
The sequence and time of eruption are normally as follows:
- Middle (Centered incisor ) 6-8 months
- Lateral incisor 8-9 months
- Back ( Ist molar) 12-14 months
- Side (Canine) 16 -18 months
- Back ( 2nd molar) 20-24 months
Ailments during dentition:
The soreness and swelling of the gums before a tooth comes through is the cause for the pain and fussiness a baby experiences during this change. These symptoms usually begin about three to five days before the tooth shows, and they disappear as soon as the tooth breaks the skin.
- As the teeth penetrate the gums, inflammation and sensitivity sometimes occur (teething).The child may become irritable and cranky and salivation may be increased markedly. Very often the local problems are associated with systemic involvement such as accompanying diarrhoea, increased temperature and sleepless nights.
- Irritability and crankiness–This occurs due to erupting tooth cutting the over lying mucosa and coming out local irritation produces drooling of saliva.General crankiness causes the child to have disturbed sleep ,feeding difficulties and reduced playfulness.
- Systemic disturbances such as fever, facial rashes or mild diarrhea can result from teething, but if diarrhea lasts too long, we need to treat it.
Dentition Complaints – Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies for Teething Troubles
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic medicines for dentition focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines for dentition are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc.The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of difficult dentition. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to this condition because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of homeopathic medicines for dentition should be taken without professional advice.
Provide your child harmless medicines unlike antibiotics and painkiller which may give another gravious sufferings.
Not simply relieve the physical symptoms but the mental symptoms such as irritability, crankiness, restlessness also.
Sweet pills, easy to take.
- Arnica Montana
- Antimonium crudum
- Antimonium tart.
- Calcarea carb
- Calcarea phos
- Magnesium muriaticum
- Veratrum album
- Silicea terra
- Zincum met
- Nux vomica
- Cuprum met
- Arsenic album
- The characteristic symptoms relate mainly to the brain and nervous system, connected with gastro-intestinal disturbance.
- Anguish, crying, and expression of uneasiness and discontent, lead to this remedy.
- Most frequently used in disease in children, during dentition, summer complaint.
- When, with the diarrhoea, there is marked inability to digest milk, and poor circulation.
- Intolerance of milk; vomiting as soon as swallowed or in large curds.
- Hungry after vomiting.
- Regurgitation of food about an hour after eating.
- Violent vomiting of a white frothy matter.
- Vomiting, with sweat and great weakness, accompanied by anguish and distress, followed by sleepiness.
- Tearing pains in the stomach extending to oesophagus
- Convulsions during the teething period, followed by sleep.
- Face and eyes red.
- Violent starting and jumping, whilst sleeping or walking, with fright.
- Convulsions followed by sound sleep.
- Dentition with apthae
- Children startle at night on any sudden noise
- Dread of downward motion.
- Apthous condition of gums and so sensitive as to shriek from the least touch, even of the nipple, when hungry.
- Tendency to press the gums together or gnashing of teeth during difficult dentition; loosening of the teeth and bleeding gums.
- Excellent remedy for teething or dentition troubles; caused by artificial or mixed feeding; or whose mothers and nurses indulge constantly in high-seasoned foods, wines, etc.
- Very little appetite, thirst, child peevish and fretful.
- Stool large and difficult or small and frequent.
- Saliva bloody; mouth sore with offensive breath.
- Persistent diarrhea the result of teething.
- Stools composed of mucus and undigested food, sometimes excoriating and exhausting, though painless.
- Face flushed with red spot on cheeks
- Vomiting as soon after taking food.
- Physical and mental arrested; child emaciated; non appearing teeth as a result of weakness.
Merc sol –
- Great soreness of gums during dentition
- urine suppressed during the period of dentition or teething.
- Homeopathic medicines for dentition having difficult and delayed dentition.
- Aversion to meat, boiled things; craving for indigestible things-chalk, coal, pencils; also for eggs, salt and sweets.
- Children are late in learning to walk.
- Diarrhoea of undigested, food, fetid, with ravenous appetite.
- Child is shy and anxious but very obstinate.
- Coldness of plam and soles with profuse sweating.
- Constipation of infants during dentition,only passing small quantity.
- Stools knotty, like sheep’s dung.
- Cannot digest milk.
- Urine can be passed only by pressing abdominal muscles.
- Homeopathic medicines for dentition having grinding the teeth at night; intense desire to press the gums together. Difficult dentition.
- Diarrhoea of long standing; early in morning; during teething.
- Morning painless diarrhea.
- Green, watery, fetid, profuse, gushing of stool.
- Prolapse of rectum before or with stool.
- Constipation alternating with diarrhoea.
- Frequent use in children with sour diarrhoea; difficult dentition.
- Whole child smells sour.
- Before stool, unsuccessful urging to urinate.
- Stools smell sour, pasty, with shivering and tenesmus, and burning in anus. Sour diarrhoea during dentition.
- Sweat on hairy scalp; constant and profuse.
- Cool sweat on the face, especially about mouth and nose.
- Child is peevish and fretful, one cheek is red, the other pale.
- The head and scalp are bathed in sweat.
- A greenish, offensive diarrhea is present.
- The mental condition of the child will invariably indicate the drug.
- The gums are red and tender.
- Suits especially emaciated, rachitic children with open fontanelles.
- Children who are slow in teething and whose teeth decay rapidly.
- There is an actual deficiency of bone tissue.
- During the period of dentition an occasional dose of calcarea phosphorica will often prevent all troubles.
- An excellent teething remedy.
- Dentition is very painful and difficult,
- The gums are spongy and painful; the child worries and tosses all day and the night.
- When erupted, show marks of decay on them.
- There is either constipation or undigested diarrhoeic stools.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Swelling and redness of the gums.
- Pain and irritation in gums.
- Increased salivation.
- Restlessness, sleeplessness due to discomfort in gums.
- Refusal of food due to soreness in gums.
- Irritability and crankiness
- Mild rashes on the skin surface.
- Chewing of objects.
- Rubbing of cheek and ear region due to referred pain.
- Fever, between 100 to 101 ºF, but may vary from child to child.
Diagnosis of Dentition/Teething –
- It is believed strongly since ancient time that diarrhoea and fever are the common symptoms during dentition.
- There are lots of research been done to find out the relation between teething and diarrhoea and fever but they couldn’t anything strong to establish connection between teething and teething.
- There may be temperature rise but not the fever like 102 ºF.
- If the symptoms like fever and diarrhoea persist for long it may be due to infection of herpes virus. “Coincidentally, primary tooth eruption begins at about the time that infants are losing maternal antibody protection against the herpes virus. Teething difficulties symptoms which are remarkably consistent with primary oral herpetic infection such as fever, irritability, sleeplessness, and difficulty with eating.
- So never misdiagnose herpes infection with simple teething problem. Consult to a Pediatrician if symptoms last too long or of violent character.
Care during Dentition/Teething –
- Give a soft and good teether to the infant which will help to break gum tissue.
- Placing a wet washcloth in the freezer for a few minutes and then applying it gently to the gums can be effective.
- Infants chew on objects to aid in the teething process. This can be dangerous if the baby is allowed to chew on objects which are small enough can be swallowed or which could break while being chewed and cause choking and oral injury .
Conventional medication for Teething
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are also recommended to treat the pain and swelling.
- For intense pain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or child-safe pain-relief treatments containing benzocaine, lidocaine, or choline salicylate are recommended . Benzocaine must be used cautiously because it can cause methemoglobinemia.
Also read Homeopathy for Infants and Children
The above information about homeopathy treatment of dentition is only for information purpose. Please consult a professional homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine for dentition.