Hay fever (allergic rhinitis), is an irritation and inflammation of mucous membrane of nose characterized by
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Running watery discharge from nose
- Stuffy nose due to congestion
- Burning sensation of the palate and throat. It is usually caused by allergies to airborne substances such as dust, moulds, pollens, animal fur and feathers. It is often aggravated by a food allergy, the most common being an allergy to milk
Homeopathy Treatment for HAY FEVER, Allergic Rhinitis
Aim of Homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis-
· To make free from life time medication [Corticosteroids, decongestants and antihistamins]
· Medicines that do not gives another compensatory suffering such as sleepiness, dullness etc.
· To increase patients own immunity to fight from disease rather decreasing it with immunosuppressive medications
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each homeopathic remedy may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis should be taken without professional advice.
List of commonly indicated homeopathy medicines for Allergic Rhinitis
- Arsenic album
- Ambrosia artemisiaefolia
- Allium cepa
- Hepar sulph
- Merc sol
- Natrum sulph
- Many symptoms of this remedy correspond to hay fever;
- It has a thin watery discharge from the nose which excoriates the upper lip, but still the nose is stuffed up.
- There is much sneezing from irritation in the nose, but not a particle of relief there from;
- The coryza is worse after midnight or from a change of weather.
- Patient is very restless mentally and physically.
- Very particular of everything, wants everything very neat and clean.
- Homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis is prepared from common ragweed and is useful in some cases of hay fever.
- The writer has used the remedy as a prophylactic with success in those cases appearing at the time of the blooming of the ragweed and has prescribed it with marked benefit in cases unquestionably due to the ragweed irritation.
- It would probably be in-efficacious in cases arising from the pollen of the golden rod and daisy.
- Homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis of great use in hay fever with watery discharge, profuse coryza and frontal pains.
- There is spasmodic and continual sneezing with only slight catarrhal discharge.
- It will often cut short an attack, but it will not always cure permanently as it is not deep action enough.
- Violent sneezing in morning with profuse nasal discharge
- Strong craving or aversion for garlic and onion.
- much sneezing; runny watery discharge; itching and tingling in nose and mouth.
- Eyes: red, burning, tearing; sinusitis with frontal headache.
- Sore throat; worse smell of flowers, moon grass, better warm room, food or drink.
- Applicable to more cases of hay fever, better results are obtained from it than from any other drug.
- It also has prophylactic power if used in the 3x or 2x potency.
- Its indications are excoriating lachrymation and coryza.
- Swelling of eyelids and nose.
- Homeopathic medicine for allergic rhinitis is more pronounced in its action on the left side.
- Especially useful in those experiencing asthmatic symptoms.
- Watery nasal discharge with profuse lacrymation [watery eyes]
- Burning in eyes and eyelids.
- Feels better in open air.
- Violent sneezing as soon as reaching in warm room.
- Watery nasal discharge with headache and cough.
- Burning in nose, mouth and throat
- Profuse, watery and acrid nasal discharge with profuse bland lacrymation, Nasal discharge burn like fire and excoriates the upper lip and wings of nose, there is rawness and redness.
- Sensation of fullness in the nose with throbbing, burning and sometimes nosebleed
- Medicine for asthma associated with hay fever.
- Asthma on lying down.
- All complaints especially around mid night.
- Dry cough with ticking sensation in throat.
- Allergic complaints due to living in damp house, basements and cellars.
- All complaints worse in rainy season.
- Thick yellow nasal discharge.
- Difficult breathing in damp weather. Constant desire to take deep breath.
- Eyes water constantly, causing itching and burning. Sometimes a sticky mucus on the eyes can be removed by winking or wiping them. Eye discharge is acrid, burning, and often thick. Nasal discharge is profuse and watery, but does not irritate the nose or upper lip.
- A frontal headache may accompany nasal discharge. Frequent sneezing that gets worse at night is common.
- However, if a cough present, it is actually better at night and worse during the day. Allergies are worse in the sunlight and the wind. Staying in a dark room is helpful.
- Prolonged sneezing spells occur, especially when first awakening in the morning.
- Nasal discharge is runny during the day, but the nose is stuffed up at night and outdoors, and the stuffiness alternates between nostrils.
- There is itching all the way from the throat to the larynx and trachea. Itching is also felt in the Eustachian tubes.
- Uncovering, noise, odor, and touch can sometimes irritate sneezing. The person is chilly and irritable and often stays up late at night with the bothersome allergies.
- The allergies can get worse after eating a meal, in the cool and open air, in drafts, and in the wind. The person feels better when the nose begins to run. Symptoms are better from rest and napping, warm drinks, and moist air.
- Violent sneezing, watery, excoriating discharge from nose, intense soreness with pain shooting in to the ear on swallowing
- Severe occipital headache and dull heavy, deep seated aching in the back and limbs; soreness and bruised feeling all over the body
- All complaints are better after perspiration; headache is better after profuse urination.
- Much sneezing; with dull heavy pains over roots of nose and stinging sensation in nose.
- Copious, acrid, burning, watery discharge from nose, causing an indescribable rawness of the membrane, with loss of sense of smell.
- Conjunctiva often similarly affected; hay fever and subsequent asthma,
- Sick and faint from perfume of flowers; polypi.
- Hay fever, flow of water from nose, followed by intense sneezing, and after few days dryness of lungs and great difficulty of breathing, worse from lying down and better by rising and sitting in an erect position.
- Boring, stinging in right nostril followed by excessive sneezing. Burning, followed by thin nasal discharge, which relieves.
- Nose sensitive when inhaling air;
- Hay fever, sometimes alternating with eczema.
- Hay fever, smarting in eyes; eyelids burn and feel sore; nose stuffed up, especially towards evening, with pressure at the root of the nose and crawling and tingling sensation within the cavity.
- Hawking of mucus from posterior nares; sharp, stitching pains in and about the chest
- General muscular weakness.
Arum Triph. –
- Much sneezing; especially towards morning.
- Great heat in face and head, with fluent coryza in the afternoon. Eyes cloudy, heavy, smarting, sleepy; aversion to light; nose obstructed, compelled to breathe through mouth.
- A popular remedy for coryza and hay fever, with itching and burning in nose; also palate, mouth, conjunctivae and skin.
- Bluish discharge from nose and excessive salivation during coryza.
Rosa Damascena –
- useful in hay fever, with involvement of Eustachian tube.
Causes of Allergic Rhinitis
- Animal fur and feathers
- Food allergy
- Allergy to milk
While the most common cause of hay fever is an allergy to grass or tree pollens, identical symptoms may result from inhaling other dusts, such as fungul spores, animal hair, and house mite droppings.
When hay fever symptoms are seasonal, the timing of their appearance depends on the sort of dust that causes an allergic reaction in the sufferer. The first pollens to appear each year are tree pollens, which can cause hay fever in early spring, depending upon the how severe the winter has been. Pollen from trees is a powerful allergen and frequently causes hay fever. Later in the season, typically in midsummer, grass pollens appear for a short season; they are then followed by ragweed pollen.
- Fungal spores are abundant in the air from mid summers until late fall. They are the most likely allergens that are present in the air throughout the year may also cause problems from time to time and seem to result in seasonal symptoms.
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
Early phase response occurs within minutes of exposure to the allergen tends to produce
- Itching in nose and eyes
- Clear nasal discharge (rhinorrhea)
Late phase response occurs 4 to 8 hours after allergen exposure and is characterized by
- Nasal congestion and stuffy nose
Hay fever is most common in people with a family history of similar complaints or a personal history of eczema, hives (urticaria), and/or asthma.
Diagnosis of Allergic Rhinitis
- Allergy testing for revealing the pollen or other substances that trigger Allergic reaction in body. Skin test is commonly used.
- Blood test may be helpful in determining specific allergen sensitivity.
- A complete blood count (CBC) test for eosinophil count may also help diagnose allergies.
- Even if a person has negative skin-prick and blood tests for allergies, he/she may still have allergic rhinitis, from a local allergy in the nose. This is called local allergic rhinitis. Specialized testing is necessary to diagnose local allergic rhinitis
Conventional Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
- Medicines called antihistamines used for treating allergy symptoms.
- Some can cause sleepiness.
- Antihistamine nasal sprays may work well for treating allergic rhinitis.
- Nasal corticosteroid spraysare the most effective treatment for allergic rhinitis.
- They work best when used regularly.
- Decongestants may also be helpful for reducing symptoms such as nasal stuffiness.
- Should not use nasal spray decongestants for long term.
- Leukotriene inhibitors are the medicines that block leukotrienes. These are the chemicals the body releases in response to an allergen that also trigger symptoms.
Complications of HAY FEVER, Allergic Rhinitis
Upper and lower respiratory diseases, including asthma, sinusitis, and otitis media with effusion, frequently complicate allergic rhinitis. The close association of nasal allergies with these conditions has been supported by extensive epidemiologic evidence.
If these diseases are unsuccessfully treated, a chronic state of inflammation, obstruction, and infection develops that can cause mucosal damage and, ultimately, chronic disease.
When left untreated, allergic rhinitis often becomes chronic and may lead to complications including:
- Chronic nasal inflammation and obstruction, which can lead to more serious complications in the airways
- Acute or chronic sinusitis
- Otitis media, or ear infection
- Sleep apnea or other sleep disturbances
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Dental problems caused by excessive mouth breathing
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
Hay Fever / Allergic Rhinitis Cases Cured with Homeopathic Medicine
A Case of Hearing Voices – Shirley Reischman
Single Medicine Rubrics – Justification & Uses – Dr. Jawahar Shah
A Case of Allergic Rhinitis– Dr.Santosh Joshi
Hay Fever Leading To Migraine – by Radka Ševčíková
An Attack of Hay Fever – by Oksana Frolov
Great article! Thank you very much for sharing this information.
Sabadilla,extra sensitive nose to larynx to odors rose cold watery eyes violent sneezing,worse by cold drinks better by hot drink,as per Pulford constitution is nympho cataleptic heat in head and chilliness along spine fever at same hour and sweats in heat desires sweets plus hot drink as against Phos aphonic want cold drink,Naja snake category like constitution weak but sensitivity to outside impressions high like Phos.repeated notes Sabadilla is for worms insight into remedy action is lost,females it is ovaritis whose larynx area is sensitive.classical homeopaths say even without remedy Babapathy works and for Sabadilla is better by meditation by eating and to causticum advice is avid coffe.