Pain in the region of jaw may associate with various conditions or caused due to various factors. Most often associated with tooth complaints.
Causes of jaw pain
- Injury – to the face and jaw bone can cause mild to severe jaw pain depend upon the intensity of stimulus.
- Fracture mandible – caused due to accidents, trauma or blow to the mandible causes severe jaw pain.
- Toothache – pain in the teeth that can be due to dental caries or any other reason causes jaw pain.
- Sinusitis – jaw pain commonly causes due to inflammation in the maxillary sinus.
- Glossopharyngeal neuralgia- often causes pain in around the jaw.
- Cancer – cancer of oral cavity causes intense jaw pain.
- Parotitis – bacterial infection of the parotid gland causes jaw pain which is often associated with fever and chill.
- Ludwig’s angina – acute streptococcal infection of the sublingual and submendibular space causes severe jaw pain.
- Myocardial infraction – pain radiate to lower jaw often associated with nausea, vomiting, anxiety and restlessness.
- Arthritis – causes intense jaw pain aggravated by eating and talking.
General examination – include examination of history of injury or trauma, of pain, swelling, tenderness, movements, examination of oral cavity including lesions, palpable mass, bloody discharge, of lymph node enlargement, spasm in jaw muscles etc.
Specific test – mainly include X – ray jaw, X – ray sinus, MRI, blood test including complete blood count and rheumatoid factor.
Treatment of Jaw Pain
Treatment of jaw pain depends upon cause and medical condition some specific modes of treatment are given below:
Homeopathic treatment of jaw pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat jaw pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for jaw pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some specific for jaw pain are given below:
Rhus Tox, Calxcaria Carb, Epulis, Bryonia, Actea Spicata, Mag Phos, phosphorous, Silicea, Agaricus, Nitric Acid, Aurum Triph, Granatum and various other medicines.
Allopathic treatment – Treatment is available by medication especially analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics. Surgery is also applicable in specific conditions.
Other methods of treatment for jaw pain include – Hydrotherapy, Ayurveda Relaxation therapy, Acupressure, Acupuncture, Physiotherapy, naturopathy etc.
Jaw Pain Cases Cured with Homeopathic Medicine
A Case of Osteo-Myelitis in a Woman of 60 – by Andrew Ward
Sevare tmj pain
Tmj facial pain