Are you looking for homeopathic medicine for frozen shoulder? This article discusses the homeopathy treatment of frozen shoulder along with the best homeopathic medicine for frozen shoulder treatment.
Frozen shoulder is a medical condition characterized by:
- Restriction of motion and
- Stiffness in the shoulder
Frozen shoulder, medically referred to a disorder in which the shoulder capsule, becomes inflamed and stiff, and grows together with abnormal bands of tissue, called adhesions, greatly restricting motion and causing chronic pain.
Movement of the shoulder is severely restricted. Pain is usually constant, worse at night, when the weather is colder. This condition can last from five months to three years or more and is thought in some cases to be caused by injury or trauma to the area. It is believed that it may have an autoimmune component, with the body attacking healthy tissue in the shoulder. The condition may also cause chronic inflammation. Adhesions grow between the joints and tissue, greatly restricting motion and causing a number of painful complications. There is also a lack of fluid in the joint, further restricting movement.
Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies for Frozen Shoulder
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these medicines should be taken without professional advice.
Commonly indicated Homeopathic Remedies
- Calcarea phos
- Ferrum met
- Rhus toxicodendron
- Sangunaria can
- Arnica Montana
- Bryonia alba
- Ledum pal
- Calcarea carb
- Stiffness and pain in joint.
- Sensation of numbness and coldness in affected area.
- Complaint worse in weather change.
- Joint complaints after bone injury.
- Numbness and crawling sensation are the characteristics of the remedy.
- Patient has great desire for travelling.
- Craving for smoked meat.
- Shootings and tearings in the joint of the shoulder, and in the arm.
- paralytic weakness, and heaviness.
- Cracking in the shoulder-joint.
- Nightly tearing and stinging in the arms.
- Uneasiness in the arms.
- Swelling and desquamative of the skin of the hands.
- Cramps and numbness in the fingers.
Persons is pettish, quarrelsome, disputative, easily excited, least contradiction angers.
- Irritability: slight noises like crackling of paper drive him to despair.
- Women who are weak, delicate, chlorotic, yet have a fiery red face.
- Extreme paleness of the face, lips and mucous membranes which become red an flushed on the least pain, emotion or exertion.
- Worse in winter.
- Violent tearing pain right shoulder and upper arm.
- Worse from violent motion of arm, better gentle motion, so that patient hardly kept it still at all.
- Somewhat sensitive, deadness in right hand.
- Acute rheumatism of right deltoid, unable to wear cloak.
- Right shoulder-joint red, swollen, very sensitive.
- Swelling of elbow from sprain.
- Wrists ache with loss of power to grasp.
- Ferrum is used in first stage of inflammation.
- Swelling, stiffness, and paralysed sensations in joints, from sprains, over-lifting, or over-stretching.
- Lameness, stiffness, and pain on first moving after rest, or on getting up in morning, better by constant motion.
- Trembling or sensation of trembling in limbs. The limbs on which he lies, especially arms, go to sleep.
- Excessively cold hands and feet all day.
- Affects the fibrous tissue, especially; the right side more than the left.
- Pains: as if sprained; as if a muscle or tendon was torn from its attachment.
- Worse after midnight and in wet, rainy weather.
- Affected parts sore to touch.
- Lameness, stiffness and pain on first moving after rest, or on getting up in the morning better by walking or continued motion.
- Great restlessness, anxiety, apprehension; cannot remain in bed, must change position often to obtain relief from pain.
- Wrenching pain in the shoulder-joint, especially when permitting arms to hang down or when resting on them.
- Dull tearings in bones of the arm and joints of elbow.
- Pain as from contusion in joint of elbow.
- Pain in forearms as well as in bones and joints of hands as if they had been beaten.
- Pressive and spasmodic drawing and tearing in forearms, hands, and fingers.
- Paralytic stiffness of wrist.
- Sensation as from a sprain and stiffness in wrist.
- Bones of wrist and back of hand painful as if bruised when at rest and when moving.
- Pain in wrist (as from a sprain) on lifting a weight.
- Numbness and tingling in hands after exertion.
- Rheumatic pain in right arm and shoulder
- worse at night in bed, cannot raise arm, motion (turning in bed) cause excessive pain.
- Pain in top of right shoulder.
- Pain in right deltoid.
- Right arm hung helpless.
- Coldness in body and right arm.
- Burning of palms.
- Stiffness of finger-joints.
Let’s understand the structure of Shoulder joint…..
Shoulder joint is a ball-and-socket joint (Type of joint in which the rounded head of one bone fits into a cuplike cavity of the other and admits movement in any direction) made up of three bones, upper arm bone (humerus), shoulder blade (scapula), and collarbone (clavicle).
The head of the upper arm bone fits into a shallow socket in shoulder blade. Strong connective tissue, called the shoulder capsule, surrounds the joint.
To help shoulder move more easily, synovial fluid lubricates the shoulder capsule and the joint.
What happens in Frozen Shoulder?
The joint capsule become thick and stiff. Many fibrous bands grow within the capsule called adhesions. Synovial fluid, lubricant of the joint decrease in quantity.
Now the joint capsule becomes thick and stiff, limit the free movement of the joint and decreased quantity of the synovial fluid cause friction in joint surface of the bones again results in painful movement of the joint.
ETIOLOGY of Frozen Shoulder
Exact cause is unknown.
- There may be autoimmune etiology.
• History of trauma to joint may be present.
• Hyperthyroidism (excessive production of thyroid hormones).
• Heart/ circulatory diseases.
• A fracture or other arm injury.
• Shoulder injury/ surgery.
• Cervical disk disease.
• Degenerative arthritis.
CLINICAL FEATURES of Frozen Shoulder
- Onset: insidious.
- Pain in shoulder, upper arm.
- Movement of the shoulder is severely restricted.
- Pain is usually constant, worse at night, when the weather is colder.
- Severe aching pain.
- Pain is usually located over the outer shoulder area and sometimes the upper arm.
- Difficulty in routine activities, e.g. combing hairs, wearing shirts.
DIAGNOSIS of Frozen Shoulder
- Physical examination is sufficient to diagnosis of frozen shoulder.
- An arthrogram or an MRI scan may confirm the diagnosis, though in practice this is rarely required.
GENERAL MANAGEMENT of Frozen Shoulder
- Rest to joint during acute stage.
• Provide sling.
• Mild passive shoulder exercises.
The above information about homeopathy treatment of frozen shoulder is only for information purpose. Please consult a professional homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine for frozen shoulder.