Are you looking for a homeopathic cure for eczema? This article discusses the homeopathy treatment of eczema along with the best homeopathic medicine for eczema treatment.
What is Eczema?
The term ‘eczema’ is used for a group of conditions that show a similar pattern of changes in the skin, giving rise to specific changes on the surface. The word itself comes from the Greek and means ‘to boil or flow out’ – anyone who has had acute eczema will understand how appropriate this is and which aptly describe the microscopic blister occurring in the epidermis at the cellular level.
Dermatitis, as term suggests, implies inflammation of the skin which relates to the underlying pathophysiology. Eczema or dermatitis are terms used to describe the characteristic clinical appearance of inflamed, dry, occasionally scaly and vesicular skin rashes associated with divergent underlying causes.
In acute cases, intense inflammation leads to the formation of little blisters (vesicles) in the skin, which soon burst or are scratched open, leading to weeping and the ‘flowing out’ of fluid. Even if there are no vesicles, a section of affected skin looked at under microscope shows fluid between the skin cells, tending to push them apart. This produces an appearance reminiscent of a sponge- hence the term ‘spongiosis’ that is used by doctors.
All the different conditions called eczema would be expected to show this spongiosis, together with some degree of inflammation around some superficial blood vessels, which are dilated, producing the hot, red feeling and appearance.
Homeopathic Treatment of Eczema
The core wisdom of the body is to push illness from a more vital to less important tissue. Thus, though it is a completely curable condition, this often requires professional, constitutional prescribing, simultaneously clearing up associated allergies or overall immune weakness.
If eczema co-exists or alternates with asthma or hay fever, merely treating the skin will not resolve the whole syndrome. Nonetheless, the remedies listed here can give considerable relief, and in fact are the ones most commonly used to cure eczema on the deepest level. Sulphur is often indicated if there has been suppression by various ointments. Calendula is the best and usually only medicine that should be used to soothe itchy, chaffed or broken skin.
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach.
This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering.
The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat eczema but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved homeopathy medicines are available for eczema cure that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the disease.
For individualized remedy selection and homeopathic treatment of eczema, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person.
Following homeopathic remedies are important:
Antim crud, Arsenic alb, Cantharis, Psorinum, Sulphur, Dulcamara, Medorrhinum, Mezarium, Rhus tox, Hepar sulph, Tuberculinum, Thuja, Kreosote, Croton tig, Sepia, Natrum mur, Merc sol, Nux vom, Calcaea carb, Borax, Bovista, Graphites, Belladonna, Ars iod and many more medicines.
- This homeopathic medicine for eczema is often indicated for eczematous eruptions, when there are thick, horny callosities in the skin.
- For children and young people inclined to grow fat; for the extremes of life.
- Old people with morning diarrhea, suddenly become constipated,or alternate diarrhea and constipation; pulse hard and rapid.
- Sensitive to the cold < after taking cold. Child is fretful, peevish, cannot bear to be touched or looked at; sulky, does not wish to speak or be spoken to; angry at every little attention. Great sadness, with weeping. Loathing life.
- Anxious lachrymose mood, the slightest thing effects her; abject despair, suicide by drowning. Irresistible desire to talk in rhymes or repeat verses.
This homeopathic medicine for eczema is often indicated when vesicles appear, which turn into pustules and for scabs, with copious scaling and much burning. Great prostration, with rapid sinking of the vital forces; fainting. The disposition is:
- Depression, melancholy, despairing, indifferent.
- Anxious, fearful, restless, full of anguish.
- Irritable, sensitive, peevish, easily vexed.
The greater the suffering the greater the anguish, restlessness and fear of death. Mentally restless, but physically too weak to move.
- Skin dry even in hot weather, itching, bleeding when scratched,
- Aggravation in evening, on alternate days, from heat of bed, at new moon, from eating new potatoes;
- Hard crust upon scalp; skin feels as if white of egg had dried on its surface.
- This homeopathic medicine for eczema is often indicated for eczema on the bends of the extremities;
- Excoriation between the thighs and about genitals;
- Aggravate from wet applications.
- Eczema of the beard with oozing of watery discharge;
- Itching worse by washing;
- Dry scaly itchy eruptions
- Eczema over back of hand;
- Moist eczema in the bends of knees, appearing during the full moon;
- Frequently in women who suffer from dysmenorrhea
- Eczema sole are with much burning and itching;
- When touched burning and smarting;
- Complications with urinary troubles;
- Aggravation from warmth;
- Scales from on scalp like enormous dandruff.
- Pustular eczema, vesicles with watery secretions followed by formation of scales and crust;
- Inflammation increases with the increasing moon and decreasing with decreasing moon
- This homeopathic medicine for eczema is indicated in the eczema of the children, when it appears on the scalp, with a tendency to spread downwards and over the face.
- Frequently it appears in patches on the face or scalp, forming thick crusts, which are often white, like chalk deposits.
Leucophlegmatic, blond hair, light complexion, blue eyes, fair skin; tendency to obesity in youth.
- Psoric constitutions; pale, weak, timid, easily tired when walking. Disposed to grow fat, corpulent, unwieldy.
- Children with red face, flabby muscles, who sweat easily and take cold readily in consequence.
- Large heads and abdomens; fontanelles and sutures open; bones soft, develop very slowly. Curvature of bones, especially spine and long bones; extremities crooked, deformed; bones irregularly developed.
- Head sweats profusely while sleeping, wetting pillow far around.
- Intense itching of skin; but so tender; unable to scratch;
- Amelioration by gentle rubbing;
- Eczema over whole body; develops an acute eczema over whole body.
- Rawness and itching around scrotal sac
- Very useful in eczema, which looks very much like that of ars., but with rough skin and oozing of a glutinous fluid.
- Eczematous eruption appears about the eyes, on the cheeks, on and behind the ears, on the top of the head and down the occiput; it may also be scattered here and there over the surface of the body, particularly in the bends of the joints.
- “Excessive cautiousness; timid, hesitates; unable to decide about anything.
- Fidgety while sitting at work. Sad, despondent; music makes her weep; thinks of nothing but death.
- Eczema of lids; eruption moist and fissured; lids red and margins covered with scales or crusts.
- This homeopathic medicine for eczema is often indicated for eczema of scalp, humid, very sore and sensitive to the touch,
- Burning and sore on scratching,
- Itching violently on rising in the morning,
- On genitals and upon on scrotom and thighs,
- Emitting an offensive odor; b
- Oils on head and neck, very sensitive to contact;
- Pustules around the seat of the disease,
- Hands and feet always cold.
- Crusty, burning eczema on the neck.
- Eruptions like small pox-lupus;
- Eczema on margins of head, especially in front
- Eruptions begins on the back of the head and extends to face, also on hands,
- Crust thick bleeding, oozing foetid moisture,
- Itching violently;
- Aggravation of symptoms from 4.00 to 8.00 pm, from getting heated,
- Relieved from cold air or uncovering the parts.
- Violent itching; smarting, crawling, but parts feels cold, as if cool breeze.
- Acrid oozing, forms hard, thick crusts with pus under them or white scabs, matting the hair. Intense burning after scratching. Eczema after vaccines.
- Scalp, margins of hair, face, lids, eyebrows, hands and feet, cracked lips.
- Worse: night, heat of bed or bath, drafts, damp, touch. Better: open air.
- Small itchy blisters with corrosive fluid; skin becomes red, raw, inflamed.
- Margins of hair; bends of joints, behind ears. Dry flaky crusts form after.
- Craves salt, thirsty. Greasy, oily hair. Dry skin in general. Underweight.
- Eczema from suppressed emotions, inner grief. Avoids consolation, fuss.
- Worse: warmth, salt, seashore, and menses, better: cool weather or bathing.
- This homeopathic medicine for eczema is often indicated for dry or foetid eruptions; crusty eruptions, vesicles being pointed, with red areole;
- Skin itches intolerably, scratches until it bleeds;
- Dry and scaly eruptions, with little pointed vesicles around the reddened edges,
- Discharge ceasing during summer, but reappearing when the cold weather comes on.
- An excellent remedy for eczema, wherever it may appear, forming thick scabs and oozing pus.
- The skin soon grows more harsh and dry and there form deep cracks and fissures which bleed and suppurate.
Adapted to persons with light hair and skin; irritable, quarrelsome disposition; easily offended at trifles; vexed at everything.
- Ailments: from riding in a carriage, railroad car, or in a ship.
- Ailments which are worse before and during a thunderstorm. Symptoms appear and disappear rapidly
- It may be used in eczema, attended with thickening of the skin and formation of hard, horny scabs.
- One of our most effective remedies for the bad effects of alcoholic beverages; spasmodic hiccough; delirium tremens.
- It may be used in eczematous eruption on any part of the body, but esp. Apt to be found on the head and face; the eruption is usually dry and formed of very thick scabs and itches violently; when scratching stops the itching in one place, it goes to another.
At other times, these scabs are moist and yellowish in color and very offensive
- Moist eruptions on head, beginning with small yellow vesicles with red areola,
- Forming thick crust and hard horny scabs which eat of the hair, offensive
- Itching worse at night, surface raw and excoriated;
- Eczema scrota on inside of thighs, discharges freely, or thickened.
- Moist, weeping eruptions, foul odor. Intensely itchy; scratches till it bleeds, causing burning. Skin bleeds easily. Dry, scaly, cracked areas.
- Unhealthy skin, pimples, easily infected. Burning hot feet at night.
- Hair margins, face, areas of perspiration, feet, bends of elbows, knee.
- Intellectual dreamer. Lethargic, unmotivated. Tired and always hungry
- Worse: night, warmth of bed, heat, bathing, wool. Better: dry, cool bathing.
- Eczema worse after vaccination;
- Itching vesicles with shooting pains;
- Dryness of covered parts; eruptions only on covered parts.
Signs and Symptoms of Eczema
- Weeping and crusting
- Blistering-usually with vesicles but, in fierce cases, with large blisters
- Redness, papules and swelling- usually with an ill,-defined border
- Irresistible desire to scratch
- Crust over skin
- Oozing of fluid
- Less vesicular and exudative
- More scaly, pigmented and thickened
- More likely to show lichenification- a dry leathery thickened state, with increased skin markings, secondary to repeated scratching or rubbing; and
- More likely to fissure
Causes of eczema
- House dust mites
- Animal dander
- Certain foods (e.g., milk, nuts)
- Certain fabrics
- Soaps, cosmetics, perfumes
- Detergents and other cleaning fluids
- Some people report that emotional stress can also make their symptoms flare up.
Causes of acute eczema
– Contact irritants such as:
- Topical medications
– Food allergies
Causes of chronic eczema
- Suppressed acute eczema through long term topical steroid treatment
- Imbalanced immune system
- Fungal overgrowth
- Deficiency of or inability to process essential fatty acids
- Poor detoxification
- Low levels of gastric acids and poor digestions
- Low levels of good flora
Classification of Eczema / Dermatitis
The term eczema refers to a set of clinical characteristics. Classification of the underlying diseases has been haphazard and unsystematic, with many synonyms used to describe the same condition. A type of eczema may be described by location (e.g. hand eczema), by specific appearance (eczema craquele or discoid), or by possible cause (varicose eczema). Further adding to the confusion, many sources use the term eczema and the term for the most common type of eczema (atopic eczema) interchangeably.
The classification below is ordered by incidence frequency.
Types of common Eczema
Also known as infantile eczema, flexural eczema, atopic dermatitis. Atopic eczema is an allergic disease believed to have a hereditary component, and often runs in families whose members also have hay fever and asthma. Itchy rash is particularly noticeable on head and scalp, neck, inside of elbows, behind knees, and buttocks. Experts are urging doctors to be more vigilant in weeding out cases that are, in actuality, irritant contact dermatitis. It is very common in developed countries, and rising.
C.D. is of two types: allergic (resulting from a delayed reaction to some allergen, such as poison ivy or nickel), and irritant (resulting from direct reaction to a detergent, such as sodium lauryl sulfate). Some substances act both as allergen and irritant (wet cement). Other substances cause a problem after sunlight exposure, bringing on phototoxic dermatitis. About three quarters of cases of contact eczema are of the irritant type, which is the most common occupational skin disease. Contact eczema is curable provided the offending substance can be avoided, and its traces removed from one’s environment.
Also known as craquele or craquelatum, winter itch, pruritus hiemalis. X.E. is dry skin that becomes so serious it turns into eczema. It worsens in dry winter weather, and limbs and trunk are most often affected. The itchy, tender skin resembles a dry, cracked, river bed. This disorder is very common among the older population. Ichthyosis is a related disorder.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis (“cradle cap” in infants) is a condition sometimes classified as a form of eczema which is closely related to dandruff. It causes dry or greasy peeling of the scalp, eyebrows, and face, and sometimes trunk. The condition is harmless except in severe cases of cradle cap. In newborns it causes a thick, yellow crusty scalp rash called cradle cap which seems related to lack of biotin, and is often curable.
Sensitisation of skin after exposure to sunlight or contact with substances having phototoxic or photoallergic effect, & characterised by smarting, burning & hyperpigmentation. Common in summers. Exposed parts usually extensor surfaces.
Common sites are face,neck, hands, forearms & feet.
Less common eczemas
Also known as pompholyx, vesicular palmoplantar dermatitis, housewife’s eczema. Only occurs on palms, soles, and sides of fingers and toes. Tiny opaque bumps called vesicles, thickening, and cracks are accompanied by itching which gets worse at night. A common type of hand eczema, it worsens in warm weather.
It is characterized by round spots of oozing or dry rash, with clear boundaries, often on lower legs. It is usually worse in winter. Cause is unknown, and the condition tends to come and go.
Also known as stasis dermatitis, varicose eczema. Occurs in people with impaired circulation, varicose veins and edema, and is particularly common in the ankle area of people over 50. There is redness, scaling, darkening of the skin and itching. The disorder predisposes to leg ulcers.
Also known as Duhring’s Disease. Causes intensely itchy and typically symmetrical rash on arms, thighs, knees, and back. It is directly related to celiac disease and can often be put into remission with appropriate diet.
Also known as lichen simplex chronicus, localized scratch dermatitis. It is an itchy area of thickened, pigmented eczema patch that results from habitual rubbing and scratching. Usually there is only one spot. Often curable through behavior modification and anti-inflammatory medication. Prurigo nodularis is a related disorder showing multiple lumps.
It is an eczematous reaction to an infection with parasites, fungi, bacteria or viruses. It is completely curable with the clearance of the original infection that caused it. The appearance varies depending on the cause. It always occurs some distance away from the original infection.
COMPLICATIONS of Eczema
• Contact dermatitis.
- Wage loss.
• Social ostracism.
DIAGNOSIS of Eczema / Dermatitis
- Clinical diagnosis is consider sufficient.
• Tinea infection.
GENERAL MANAGEMENT of Eczema / Dermatitis
• Identify offending agent.
• Early removal from offending agent.
• Avoid contact.
• Maintain personal hygiene.
• Maintain electrolyte balance.
• Avoid scratching.
• Adequate physical & mental rest.
Myths about eczema
- Frequent bathing of the affected areas is helpful and soothing – frequent bathing and long, hot showers should be avoided: moisturizing preparation instead of soaps should be used and moisturizers also applied liberally after bathing should be helpful.
- Eczema is contagious – it is not contagious, and one can’t acquire the condition by coming in to contact with eczema suffers or their belongings.
- Only children get eczema – although it is common in children. The condition is often seen later in life.
- Cure of eczema depends upon the cause and condition of disease. Patients should be advised to take daily bath with non-caustic soap and shampoo the hair frequently (if scalp is involved), preferably with a mild baby shampoo, to keep hair and skin clean.
- Oil application even on dry skin should be stopped because oil traps more dirt on the skin. Patient should always avoid exposure to irritants and allergens. Should also avoid long continued bathing as it causes dryness of skin.
The above information about homeopathy treatment of eczema is only for information purpose. Please consult a professional homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine for eczema.
Eczema Cases Cured With Homeopathic Medicine
A Case of Eczema– Dr. Santosh Joshi
A Case of Eczema on Nose and its Homoeopathic treatment – by Bisworanjan Das
Case of a Two Year Old Girl with Eczema – by Vishpala Parthasarathy
A Case of Infantile Eczema – by Prasad Shetye & Falguni Khariwala
A Case of Eczema and Anxiety in Progress – by Jennifer Metzger
Elaine Backs into an Eczema Case – by Elaine Lewis
Eczema and Dyspepsia Complicated with Chronic Catarrhal Asthma – by Edward Charles Chepmell
A Very Obstinate Skin Case – by Maurizio Paolella
What will be the best potencies to use in treating atopic eczema?
200 single dose …but should be constitutional.
I have a dry cracked scaling skin all over my body, this is most prevalent on my legs and thighs and less scaling on the other parts of the body.
However, I had taken sulphur medicine (liquid), which was very strong, it used to be so strong I also got sore throat. Inspite of that I continued taking the medicine unfortunately the dry started to aggravate and I became worried and stop the medicine. Since it got aggravated it never came back to the normal state. Can somebody help me become normal (atleast back to what I used to be).
Hoping to get some help
Eczyma is a challange for doctor’s. But my dear friends it should treat according symptomps obviously,I want expose some tips for human being- When any skin disease releaf by ext. application-we should try BOVISTA,One of the best remidy -RENUNCULUS B.Allah bless all.
my one year old has very dry ezcema and itchy aswell. I don’t know where to start someone said to give her sulfer in 30 potency for 3 days but what do you recommend. I m really worried for her and don’t like to use chemical things.
I have black itchy skin in both the ankles spreading round the ankles. But no blood/water is secreted from the wound. There is no bad odour. Please enlighten me the reason for such a disease. I was having eczema in my childhood in my right foot and I was treated with the ointment Betnavate M.
I have eczema on back of my head and elbows since last few years which is quite embarrassing.
Please let me know if I should see any good doctor(Homeopathic) in Toronto area or if I can
use any medication
Only homeopathy can save the deadly allergic symptoms and give real real life to to all.Every body from child to dying cancer patient can have life smile.
I used foderma serum along with the wash and spray and my daughters skin cleared up in just a few days. It definitely is an amazing product. I’d recommend foderma serum to anyone with eczema or psoriasis.
How will we know that the homeopathy medicine is working? What are the symptoms to know that the treatment is going on properly?
hi I need help for recurring eczema on my fingers and toes and area before the toes. I t is mostly dry and the itching is generally not there. Mostly area just below the nails is red and thick and scaly. I have tried various treatments in homeopathy and also in allopathy.
I know thee basics and I think graphites and sulphur should work but I need help to know the potency and the duration. Also I need to know if I have to keep taking these medicines always??? or can stop after a few weeks/months.
Thanks and regards
The miasem for skin and eczema is tubercular. There is no mention of the remedy tuberculinum, I think it is singularly the most important remedy for
I wonder if homeopathy can treat severe atopic eczema with severe discoloration. Thanks.