It is natural for adolescents to experience periodic roller coaster rides between inner serenity and emotional commotions. Is your teenager behaving erratically and unreasonably? We should be aware that teenagers undergo tremendous pressures at school and with friends and family. Dealing with bipolar disorder can be challenging for teens to cope with at such a young age.
Bipolar disorder is also known as manic-depressive psychosis. This is a brain disorder that communicates through atypical fluctuations in mood, aptitude, energy, and activity level, thereby affecting school grades, relationships, and outlook toward life. This disorder manifests a jumbled state of mania and depression. Bipolar disorder is not a psychological weakness or a personality imperfection, but is instead a serious health condition that requires medical intervention without delay. The diagnosis of Bipolar disorder in teens is difficult and calls for comprehensive assessment and vigilant observation by parents and by an experienced medical practitioner over an extended period of time.
Causes of bipolar disorder:
- Being nurtured by parents suffering from bipolar disorder
- Family history of alcohol or substance abuse
- Abuse of alcohol, drugs, caffeine, medications like appetite suppressants, antidepressants, thyroid hormone replacement, etc.
- Constant worry, emotional trauma such as separation of parents, death in the family, etc.
- Peer pressure, excessive expectations from parents
- Hormonal changes, especially during puberty
- Prolonged, untreated insomnia.
Symptoms of bipolar disorder:
- Extreme mood changes, elevated or depleted
- Impulsive, impractical behaviors, habitually making foolish decisions
- “Sky-scraping” or low self-esteem, feeling like a super hero or feeling incompetent
- Alternating low to high energy levels, resulting in exaggeration of physical and mental activities
- Being easily distracted, resulting in dropping of grades at school
- Addictions–alcohol or substance abuse
- Indiscriminate sexual behavior
- Body aches and pains
- Increase or decrease in appetite, resulting in weight gain or weight loss
- Too much or too little sleep
- Auditory and visual hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there)
- Decline in cognitive function (reasoning and perception)
- Suicidal thoughts.
Homeopathic approach to bipolar disorder:
Conventional management of bipolar disorder works towards suppressing the symptoms rather than permanently treating them. The homeopathic approach, on the other hand, arouses the patient’s inherent capability to reinstate balance and can both manage symptoms and prevent relapse. Homeopathy acknowledges the psychological basis of somatic symptoms. The constitutional approach is a unique traditional modus operandi, which takes into account a person’s overall nature, individual qualities, and outlook towards life. Homeopathic remedies help stabilize the patient’s mood and reduce the frequency and intensity of manic and depressive episodes. The homeopathic approach can assist your teenager in appreciating him or herself better; it can rebuild the teen’s self-esteem, which will further facilitate adjustment to stress and improving the teen’s social relationships. Homeopathic remedies naturally facilitate the body’s ability to restore itself to a healthy state of balance. The remedies stimulate the patient’s system and regulate the production of serotonin and adrenaline, which are responsible for mood swings, anxiety, restlessness, and depression.
After taking appropriately selected homeopathic medicines, the patient experiences a general feeling of well being and develops a more positive attitude towards life. Dependency on sedatives and anti-depressants, which have numerous side effects and are habit forming, is also reduced. Homeopathic medicines can allow suppressed inner capabilities to blossom and shape the inborn behaviors with the existing circumstances, minimizing behavioral negativities and restoring well-being. Homeopathic treatment can help a teen stabilize emotions, attain mental peace, and facilitate eventual happiness. Because every behavior is unique, homeopathic constitutional treatment offers remedies that are customized to each teen’s individual personality. Homeopathic remedies are safe, natural, inexpensive, and highly effective.
Some homeopathic remedies that are commonly used to treat Bipolar Disorder are described below. These are just a few of the commonly used homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of homeopathic medicines in bipolar disorder. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.
Common homeopathic remedies for bipolar disorder:
Agaricus Muscarius: This is an outstanding remedy for Bipolar disorder. These patients complain of body aches and twitching movements and are highly sensitive to pressure and cold air. They are emotionally insensitive, confused, and talkative with aversion to work. They are constantly yawning and drowsy all day, yet are overly energized and can lift heavy loads. They lack perception for comparative sizes of objects, and they may jump over small objects as if they were tree trunks. When they get angry, they scream and try to harm themselves. They complain of double vision. Words seem to move or swim.
Crocus Sativus: This remedy can smooth the progress of patients who undergo frequent and extreme emotional and psychological changes. These patients exhibit violent anger followed by repentance. They exhibit paroxysms of laughter, drowsiness, and lassitude. They are indecisive and go through sudden changes from hilarity to melancholy.
Hyoscyamus Niger: This is a first-rate remedy for a troubled nervous system. These patients behave as maniacs, are jealous, paranoid, quarrelsome, and may behave or speak obscenely. They are inclined to immodest acts, gestures, and expressions. They talk uninterruptedly, behave indecently, persist in stripping themselves, and are afraid of being poisoned. They are very restless and laugh at everything. Their symptoms are worse at night and during menses (in women).
Natrum phosphate: This remedy is indicated for patients having hallucinations; they wake up at night to hear footsteps in the next room and can imagine furniture to be people.
Passiflora incarnata: This remedy has a quieting effect on the nervous system. These patients are addicted to morphine. They behave hysterically and suffer from lack of sleep. These patients are overworked, which leads to restlessness and lack of sleep.
Platinum metallicum: This is a superb remedy for bipolar disorder. These patients are not their usual selves, have a perceived personality, and feel that everything around them is changed. They are weary of everything and have an irresistible impulse to kill. They are arrogant and have contempt for others. These patients have an abnormal sexual appetite, and women can be nymphomaniacs.
Tarentula hispanica: This remedy corresponds with patients who are extremely nervous and hysterical. They are highly restless and must keep in constant motion, although walking makes them even more restless. They experience sudden alterations of mood and can be mischievous with destructive impulses. These patients are discontented and always guided by whims. They are sexually excited to the extent of insanity.
Self care measures for bipolar disorder:
- Educate yourself regarding this illness.
- Be acquainted with the needs of your body and mind.
- Get involved in activities that you enjoy. Do what you need to rejuvenate your mind and body.
- Make a note of your manic and depressive triggers. Your awareness will help you in avoiding situations that trigger it.
- Make lifestyle changes.
- Reduce stressors in your life.
- Resolve any disputes you have with your family and friends.
- Avoid being in irritating situations.
- Choose good, optimistic company.
- Accept the help of family and friends.
- Work on improving communication and understanding between you, your parents, and siblings.
- Eat and sleep well.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and drugs.
- Follow your homeopathic consultations and prescription regularly.
- Keep a regular routine, such as regular meal times and bedtime.
- Parents: Help your teen be appreciative, avoid too-high expectations of them, and let them approach life at their own pace.
Hence, consider homeopathy as a treatment option and motivate your teenager to live a more productive life, to be happy, healthy, and enjoy everything that life has to offer.