Lower Abdominal pain is a feeling of discomfort along with pain in the lower abdomen. The abdominal cavity consist various structures like stomach, liver, gall bladder, small intestine, large intestine, pancreas, kidney, cecum, appendix, ureter, spleen and also possesses abdominal muscles. The whole abdomen is divided in to 9 regions which are, right hypochondrium, epigastrium, left hypochondrium, right lumber, umbilical, left lumber, right iliac, hypogastrium and left iliac. Lower abdomen mainly occurs in iliac and hypogastrium region. A person can feel pain in anywhere in these regions.
Causes of lower abdominal pain
- Acute Cholecystitis – Attacks of pain with tenderness.
- Acute appendicitis – Severe colicky pain initially felt in umbilical region and after few hours the pain localizes to the right iliac fossa.
- Acute pancreatitis – inflammatory exudate collects and gravitates in the right iliac fossa.
- Irritable bowel syndrome – Post prandial type of pain which is related to meal
- Abdominal angina – Due to chronic intestinal ischemia in which there is post prandial pain usually cramping and radiates to the back.
- Carcinoma colon – Pain in the right side below the level of umbilicus
- Bilateral salping – Oophoritis – pain in both side of lower abdomen
- Torsion of the ovarian cyst – Produces very severe abdominal pain.
- Other causes – meckel’s diverticulitis, intestinal obstruction, ulcerative colitis, porphyria, indigestion, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis etc.
- Blood test
- Pregnancy test
- X ray abdomen
- Abdominal CT scan
- Abdominal MRI
- Abdominal ultrasound
Treatment of Lower Abdominal Pain
Homeopathic treatment of lower abdomen pain – Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach.
This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat lower abdomen pain but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for lower abdomen pain treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the pain. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some useful medicines are given below for the treatment of lower abdomen pain:
- Nux vom – One of the best remedy for abdominal pain especially due to indigestion
- Colocynthis – Abdomen pain which is better by bending double or by hard pressure.
- Pulsatilla – Abdomen pain which is caused after taking rich food, pastry
- Natrum Carb – Abdomen pain which is relieved by eating
- Cuprum Met. – Violent spasms which is aggravated by cold drinks.
- Croton Tig – gripping pain in abdomen which is associated with profuse watery diarrhea
- Chamomilla – Spasmodic pain especially after anger
- Belladonna – pain due to intestinal obstruction
- Mag phos – violent, spasmodic pain which is better by hot application.
- China Off – pain associated with distension and fullness specially after eating
- Lycopodium – pain after eating which is worse between 4 – 8 P.M.
Allopathic treatment of abdomen pain – treatment is depending upon cause or medical condition; surgery can also be done in few surgical diseases.
Other alternative treatment of abdomen pain – include naturopathy, Ayurveda, Vitamin B3, VitaminB5, meditation etc.