THE BRAVE KID WHO OUTBRAVED SURGERY WITH HOMOEOPATHY
“The case that stormed Allopaths”
6 months, male baby reported in Neonatal Cardiology OPD on 13th March, 2013, a k/c/o Ventricular Septal Defect.
Patient was brought in our OPD after a recent hospitalization due to severe pneumonia and was put on ventilator support for 26 days in leading Heart Institute of the city.
It was a known case of Ventricular Septal Defect with two VSD of 5mm and 4mm with L-R Shunt and raised PASP i.e. 56 mmHg.
LA/LV were dilated and there was LV Systolic Dysfunction.
Baby was unable to take feed and there were marked signs of difficulty in respiration. Weeping was quite weak with whimpering weeping sound which is a typical sign of VSD making it quite clear the extent of the disease progressed in the child.
Allopathic Cardiologists advised immediate Surgical Intervention to get the defects repaired so as to avoid any complications which could prove fatal for the child next time, if he goes on ventilator support.
- Had no complaints for first 4 months.
- Severe Pneumonia in 5th month and diagnosed with VSD.
- Mother was anemic during pregnancy.
- No underlying etiology reported during pregnancy.
- N/H/O Diabetes Mellitus, Pulmonary Koch, Hypertension, Asthma, Cancer in family.
- ENALAPRIL 2.5 MG – BD (ACE Inhibitor for impending Heart Failure)
- SILDENAFIL 10 MG – OD (Pulmonary Hypertension)
- FRUSEMIDE 0.5 MG – OD (Diuretic)
- Pansystolic Murmur (4/6) with B/L Basal Crepts in Lungs.
- HR = 156/min ; RR = 52/min
- No signs of icterus, cyanosis, edema.
- P/A enlarged spleen (3 cm below costal margin)
EMERGENCY CRISIS RISKS
- INFECTIVE ENDOCARDITIS
- RESPIRATORY FAILURE
- HEART FAILURE
- PORTAL HYPERTENSION
- CARDIAC ARREST
2D ECHO – 5.3.2013 (BEFORE TREATMENT)
PASP = 56 mmHg
VSD’s = 5 mm & 4 mm
DECISION MAKING IN CRITICAL CASES
Now it was time to make strict, straight and sincere decision, keeping aside emotions for Homoeopathy, as such cases offer very less time to a physician and ask for a notable and satisfactory improvement within few hours or days else the life can be put in danger, if wrong decision is made.
- Is there any Homeopathic Drug competent enough to reduce the PASP within few days or weeks? If yes, where to find it, Materia Medica or Repertory?
- Can we efficiently prevent impending crisis i.e. Heart Failure or Respiratory Failure?
- Is it safe to manage such case at home with OPD visits?
- Can we repair septal defects with medical management only?
2D ECHO – 5.3.2013 (BEFORE TREATMENT)
DECISION MAKING TIPS
HAVE GUTS TO SAY NO to the patient if the ailment does not fall under the sphere of our knowledge, experience, medicines or if it is incurable.
The guts will come only if we have knowledge of Pathology and Internal Medicine.
Nobody on this earth is able to put scrambled eggs back into the shells…
perhaps, not even Homeopaths.
FINAL DECISION – HOMOEOPATHIC INTERVENTION
Finally, 30 days target plan was decided to manage the case of 6 months old only child of the parents born after 5 years of marriage, who refused the Surgery as there was a risk of Cardiovascular & Respiratory Insult during the procedure.
Parents were informed of 30 days treatment plan, in case we get any positive outcome we will go for the next possible treatment or you will have to go for surgery, otherwise, irrespective of all risks involved.
2D ECHO – 06.04.2013 (25 DAYS AFTER TREATMENT)
PASP = 40 mmHg (previously 56 mmHg)
VSD’s = 3 mm & 2 mm (previously 5-4 mm)
- PASP lowers down to 40 mmHg from 56 mmHg – Out of Crisis
- Immediate relief was attained and patient is taking feed since day 1 without any difficulty. Weight gain 1 kg in 1st
- Impending Respiratory & Heart Failure – Out of scenario
- Septal Defects 5mm à 3mm, 4mm à 2mm
2D ECHO – 6.4.2013 (AFTER 30 DAYS TREATMENT)
2D ECHO – 1.3.2014 (AFTER 1 YEAR TREATMENT)
2D ECHO – 01.03.2014 (1 YEAR AFTER TREATMENT)
PASP = 20 mmHg (previous 56 mmHg)
VSD’s = TINY < 0.5mm (previous 5-4 mm)
- Syphilinum 200c
- Antimonium ars. 30c
- Laurocerasus 30c
Allopathic Drugs: ENALAPRIL 2.5 MG (BD) – ACE INHIBITOR
Other allopathic drugs were stopped with immediate effect.